Thread: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Rides

1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Seeing as this section of the forum is pretty quiet I figured I would throw my hat into the ring with my non s-body project, my 1968 Mustang Fastback.

I have owned the car for around 5 years now but through various things getting in the way like a huge motorcycle crash that took me a minute to recover from as well as a restorer dicking me around for a good 3 years I decided to take on the whole restoration project myself.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves for now as I have a good few shots of the progress but I'll be updating as more work is undertaken with a small write-up with each

When I first bought the car 5 years ago for £9k
    I like my literature and in Christian "mythology" War, the second horseman of the apocalypse rode a red horse called Ruin, and given the state of parts of the car I felt it an appropriate name for the project though the 'official' name of the car has not yet been chosen.

I have long been a fan of American Classics and Muscle cars in particular. My first car was a 1986 Ford Capri as I couldn't afford a Mustang at the time and with my 30th Birthday approaching the time has come to build my dream instead of just expecting it to happen...

I saw this particular car advertised a few times on ebay and each time wasn't being bid on. Ironically a few friends sent me the link on separate occasions saying it would be the ideal car for me as I have rebuilt several cars in my past. So, I bit the 'bullitt' and went to view it...

Sure, she was a little rusty in the usual areas (trunk floor, cabin floors and right side chassis rail below the now non existent battery tray) but she be straight

A little dusty after being stored for a few years in a barn in Florida but a fairly solid car nonetheless. What sealed the deal for me was the honesty of the seller in describing the vehicle prior to riding down to see the car and the large amounts of parts that came included with the sale to remedy the majority of the tin worm.

A fair bit of wd40 and penetrator was used in stripping the car down but nowhere near as much as my S13s :P

A few of the parts that came with the sale

Pretty standard fare for a Mustang in need of attention

No romancing being done here for a while, that's for sure!

Rides
    Front valance removed despite some protest

Radiator support will be replaced, along with the front RH inner wing apron

Grille and upper splash panel found their way into the scrap pile too

The shot frame rail thanks to the lead acid batteries of the 60's...

Doors were removed and then it was time to remove the fenders.

Rides
    The worst of the rust is localised to the area below the battery (poxy lead/acid batteries)

Very clean drivers side (by comparison)

These pics show the true size of the place that I had managed to snag for a few weeks during initial tear down

It was not long after this that I had my bike crash that put me out of action for a while, it wasn't until I got my place in Rugby that I could really tear into the car as I finally have a garage big enough to work on it (the space used for the initial tear down was only a temporary arrangement)

Rides
    Bite the bullitt ! lol

Looks like an epic project. Might as well convert it to RHD while you are at it

Rides
    Sacrilege! Never gonna happen. I already have 98% of the new panels with many of them finding their way onto the car with more updates coming when I write them up

Rides
    Looking forward to this!

Rides
    Subbed.

Nice project!!!

Rides
    awesome project! if i was naming it i think it would be called Fred... as its something mr flintstone would be at home driving

Rides
    Thats a load of work, does it run? is it a 289?

Love the fastbacks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thats a load of work, does it run? is it a 289?

Love the fastbacks
    All you need to know is that its better than yours

Rides
    It didn't run and was a lowly 289 when I bought it complete with C4 trans. That has been ripped out and I have a 351w block to go in...once it's been stroked out to a 408 and mated to a T56 Magnum 6 speed

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    It didn't run and was a lowly 289 when I bought it complete with C4 trans. That has been ripped out and I have a 351w block to go in...once it's been stroked out to a 408 and mated to a T56 Magnum 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    More work on the car this week sees it a lot closer to the paint deadline of August 16th (the same day that it was originally painted in 1967. However as I am more active on instagram because of ease of use it may be worth following the build progress on there for more updates. In the mean time here is a taster....

Capture.JPG

@valkyrie_creations_ltd