Thread: Brake skimming?

Rides

Brake skimming?

I have issues with my front brake discs. My mechanic has stated they need to be replaced or skimmed. They are r33gtr grooved discs which have plenty of thickness on them and as replacements are quite expensive I'm looking at getting them skimmed. Anybody had experience with skimming and can recommend a company and likely costs?

Failing that is there anywhere where I can get good quality grooved discs for reasonable cost?

Rides
    the amount of run out measured on a dial gauge would confirm if it is the discs are warped and causing the fault,
    also how much it reads in run out could determine if skimming would remove too much and make them thinner and more likely to over heat again
    there is also the heat aspect as in they could be prone to cracking (from getting so hot they distorted) after spending out on skimming them
    Mtec do a cheaper disc, run some on my daily yaris ,driven hard and no issues so far

Rides
    My mate had 6 pot AP's on his evo and rotors were like £600+ so he got them skimmed and sorted the problem, wasn't cheap though....but for the price of new discs its probably not worth skimming.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-dis...-95-12-97.html

i run mtec discs all round with no issues

Rides
    Thanks Andy and Mike for reply and the link. I found a company Disc Skimmers Ltd who use procut equipment. The owner has confirmed a very reasonable price for an off-car skim and return service so will pursue this option to see if this solves the juddering when braking. I've already balanced the wheels, changed lower arms, cv joints, and the juddering is still frustratingly there. Hope this sorts the issue.

Rides
    Play in steering rack or track rod ends ? Bit of crap behind the disk or wheel ?

I’d personaly get the disks checked properly or get a cheap DTI gauge to measure them properly

Rides
    this guy skimmed my discs a while back http://www.discskimmers.com/index.html he's a good chap and doesn't charge the earth.

Rides
    Cheers guys. Have had the suspension checked, tie rods changed and lower arms, judder still there. These parts needed replacing as they had some play. I spoke with Marcus at disc skimmers and its £60 skimmed inc return postage which I think is worth a try to get rid of problem. Will report back once done.