Thread: Welding work in Bristol

Rides

Welding work in Bristol

So, weirdly for an old Nissan, I have rust. Subframe mounts and outer sills according to Mr MOT man; haven't had a chance to get underneath and attach with a wire brush attachment to try to understand the extent yet.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Bristol (preferably North end) that would do a quality job?

Cheers,
    -Dave

Rides
    I've always used Banzai in Weston-super-Mare. Really good job, and also took photos to show me the repairs inside the sills, so I can see they haven't just done the outer skin....

I'm sure there's places closer to Bristol though, maybe try FCM?

Rides
    I’m looking for the same too. I noticed a couple of classic car restoration places on a google search. If you find anyone could you let me know?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    I've always used Banzai in Weston-super-Mare. Really good job, and also took photos to show me the repairs inside the sills, so I can see they haven't just done the outer skin....

I'm sure there's places closer to Bristol though, maybe try FCM?
    Thanks for this. I can't go too far (noting it isn't road legal) so Weston's probably out. John at FCM actually did the MOT but wasn't that keen on doing the repair, think he was booked up and not fussed about another time consuming job. I might press him to see if he'll reconsider.

I've been given a few recommendations asking around: Huxley Motorsports (too far away), 'classico restoro' and 'Charlie's classics' - which I haven't been able to find from the briefest of googles. Snops: I will let you know if I find anything.

Got 5 weeks to get it sorted now...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    Thanks for this. I can't go too far (noting it isn't road legal) so Weston's probably out. John at FCM actually did the MOT but wasn't that keen on doing the repair, think he was booked up and not fussed about another time consuming job. I might press him to see if he'll reconsider.

I've been given a few recommendations asking around: Huxley Motorsports (too far away), 'classico restoro' and 'Charlie's classics' - which I haven't been able to find from the briefest of googles. Snops: I will let you know if I find anything.

Got 5 weeks to get it sorted now...

I used this guy for some work on my kit car he did not do any welding but just for the nature of the job "classics" they must see some rust.

http://www.slarkclassicrestorations.com/

i was really happy with what he did for me and they are based in backwell.

he was super busy mind (so must be good) took some time to get in

West Country Rep
    Rides
    How bad is it? If its simple a guy i share my unit with can fix it. Send me a pm.

(North East Bristol)

West Country REO

Rides
    Thanks for the tips all. Time to start ringing around.

Managed to get some photos of the badness this evening. Sills a bit tatty; bit around the subframe mounts fooked. Any ideas how big a job this is?

20181008_200707

20181008_200647

20181008_203138

20181008_204331

20181008_203055

Rides
    So, some advice please – if anyone happens to still be looking at this thread…

I need the above work done. Clearly the bit with holes in (what’s that bit of the floorpan/ chassis called?) needs a bit of work, plus I’d like the sills replaced where required, and anything else that the job throws up once the grinder comes out. Priority is to do it once, properly, so I know it’s sound and I don’t have to worry about it again. Quality is more important than price.

Before I start ringing people up I’d like to have at least an idea of the typical range of costs, and time it would take, for the above work. Any thoughts? Do I need to think about buying some sill panels or should I expect them to fab from scratch?

Problem is, I’ve never had any welding work done before, and I prefer to do all the work on my cars, house etc. myself, because I’m a perfectionist. I want to be confident before I hand this over for someone to chop holes in!

Between googling and asking round, I’ve got a range of options which I haven’t really scoped out yet. I’ve been given some offers/recommendations from individuals (thanks Murt!), including some guy nearby who’s retired, plus garages in and around Bristol (NRD Autos, Bonsai in Weston SM, JCPerformance, Slark, AFS Motor Engineering).

Anyone else I should be considering? Any personal experiences of the above?

I should probably just bimble over to some of these places and have a chat but it’s been a bit hectic lately…

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    So, some advice please – if anyone happens to still be looking at this thread…

I need the above work done. Clearly the bit with holes in (what’s that bit of the floorpan/ chassis called?) needs a bit of work, plus I’d like the sills replaced where required, and anything else that the job throws up once the grinder comes out. Priority is to do it once, properly, so I know it’s sound and I don’t have to worry about it again. Quality is more important than price.

Before I start ringing people up I’d like to have at least an idea of the typical range of costs, and time it would take, for the above work. Any thoughts? Do I need to think about buying some sill panels or should I expect them to fab from scratch?

Problem is, I’ve never had any welding work done before, and I prefer to do all the work on my cars, house etc. myself, because I’m a perfectionist. I want to be confident before I hand this over for someone to chop holes in!

Between googling and asking round, I’ve got a range of options which I haven’t really scoped out yet. I’ve been given some offers/recommendations from individuals (thanks Murt!), including some guy nearby who’s retired, plus garages in and around Bristol (NRD Autos, Bonsai in Weston SM, JCPerformance, Slark, AFS Motor Engineering).

Anyone else I should be considering? Any personal experiences of the above?

I should probably just bimble over to some of these places and have a chat but it’s been a bit hectic lately…
    Your best bet is probably to head over and have a chat and show them the areas. No one I spoke to would quote without seeing it as its so hard to tell the extent of the rust, and even then you may have a when you start digging behind... As a rough idea, I paid around £80 to £150 for patches around those areas.

In hindsight I wouldn't bother getting the sills patched up, I would just replace the whole sills (The pre-made was are awesome fit!)

Saying that I got fed up with paying people, so now I've bought myself a welder and the pre-made sills off a guy on here and do it myself. I'm quite lucky though as my Dad has a 4 poster ramp!
    Last edited by Davus200; 12-10-2018 at 11:18.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Your best bet is probably to head over and have a chat and show them the areas. No one I spoke to would quote without seeing it as its so hard to tell the extent of the rust, and even then you may have a when you start digging behind... As a rough idea, I paid around £80 to £150 for patches around those areas.

In hindsight I wouldn't bother getting the sills patched up, I would just replace the whole sills (The pre-made was are awesome fit!)

Saying that I got fed up with paying people, so now I've bought myself a welder and the pre-made sills off a guy on here and do it myself. I'm quite lucky though as my Dad has a 4 poster ramp!
    That's useful info, thanks. Gonna do some ringing round next week!