Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Need a sensible, practical and economical car, but still fun.....What do?

Rides
    So what is going to happen to the Lexus ?

Rides
    It's going to a family member to run into the ground.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Buys a jag
    It'll do for now.
    So, what stopped you getting a proper Legacy then?
    That would have fit the Bill I'd have thought, especially as you said you wanted one

I do a damn site better than 18mpg I should add, although I don't live in Big Smoke like you

Rides
    Realistically? Time to find one as they're rare, and interior quality and ride comfort as wifey decided she didn't want to have anything low rent.

I just needed it done. It got done. It might not be right decision but I can tick a Jag off the list of owns I guess.

Rides
    I can assure you that interior quality is right up there
    Ride I can't comment on, as the Manual Spec B's have Bilsteins (which are fricking ace). I'm not actually sure what the normal stuff on the auto's even is..

Rides
    All the cars I looked at didn't have a stitch of leather let alone any real comforts. If one had popped up within spit I'd have dashed to it but they're rare as.

Tbh this whole search has been pretty horrific and I'm gutted about two things.

1 lexus didn't last a bit longer as I have to say I've bloody enjoyed that car and it's been a real bargain and
    2 there's a real lack of anything in the bargain barge space now which will take hold for all us lovers of that ilk in the next 2 or 3 years.

What was a grand is now two and what was two will be three. Sad state of affairs.

Rides
    Jaaaag took us 150 miles up to Derby today. No issues. Quiet as a coma. Nice ride. Average MPG now up to 26 lol. Quite enjoying it so far.

Rides
    Jaaaag took us 150 miles up to Derby today. No issues. Quiet as a coma. Nice ride. Average MPG now up to 26 lol. Quite enjoying it so far.
    So it appears I was somewhat optimistic

Last week it sprang what I thought was a coolant leak - a bloody small one cos I couldn't find it. This week it's pressurising its coolant tank and it looks like the right bank's head gasket has blown

Anyone got a spare motor knocking around?

Rides
    Picked up a Mk4 Golf GTi for wifey to run about in for a few months whilst I get myself sorted and decide what to do with the Jaaaag.

Rides
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    TBH, that's probably a pretty sensible and practical choice. I bet your lovely wife will be quite happy driving that.

Edit: For some reason, when I put your wife's name it got bleeped out !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Doh
    Aye. Gutted. TBF you'd barely know it's poorly at the moment. It still runs lovely, but something's not right. Hopefully I can get it fixed. I'm going to give it a good healthcheck in terms of the underside etc and if it's all good I'll chuck some money at it and hope that it's not good money after bad. We shall see. It's a really nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    TBH, that's probably a pretty sensible and practical choice. I bet your lovely wife will be quite happy driving that.

Edit: For some reason, when I put your wife's name it got bleeped out !
    Haha well if I call her by her name she thinks I'm swearing at her

She had a bit of a brain meltdown yesterday when faced with a clutch pedal again for the first time in longer than it should have been But she's taken it to work today on her own no bother.

We went out for a drive yesterday and I have to say, it's a bit of a riot. Is it the best hot hatch I've ever owned? Nope, but it's a decent little steer - reminds me of an angry little terrier nipping away at the ankles. I'm happy with it in that respect. It needs a couple of little bits; the main one new engine temp sender as the temp gauge has a mind of its own but that's a common failure and pretty cheap to sort. I'm not going to be able to do that until I'm recovered from surgery though

But the best part - £800 including a full tank of petrol

Rides
    ... It needs a couple of little bits; the main one new engine temp sender as the temp gauge has a mind of its own but that's a common failure and pretty cheap to sort. I'm not going to be able to do that until I'm recovered from surgery though

You know where I am. Just ask

And 800 seems a billy bargain. I know they're not the most collectible of the GTis but that's a nice whip for that sort of money.

Rides
    Thanks mate, appreciate that. I think I should be ok, I've managed to get a sensor in the post today and there's a fair chance I can fit it at the weekend no bother as it's not hard to access. Will give you a shout if I get stuck

Ridiculous though. Started the car this morning and the cooling fan came on after about 15 seconds and then went off again, and back on, and off again. Each time accompanied with a squeal which screams that the bearings in the fan are knackered due to it being overused for a good long while. Seriously, the sensor was....... £5......including the clip to hold it in.....delivered

Why don't people fix this sort of shit? It's a 5 minute job and 5 quid FFS. It's probably knackered the fan and as the ECU uses the same sensor I can't imagine what it'll be doing to fuel economy. To put up with it like that is just mental

Rides
    The Gti will map to about 200bhp, be a pretty good laugh then

Rides
    Thanks mate, appreciate that. I think I should be ok, I've managed to get a sensor in the post today and there's a fair chance I can fit it at the weekend no bother as it's not hard to access. Will give you a shout if I get stuck

Ridiculous though. Started the car this morning and the cooling fan came on after about 15 seconds and then went off again, and back on, and off again. Each time accompanied with a squeal which screams that the bearings in the fan are knackered due to it being overused for a good long while. Seriously, the sensor was....... £5......including the clip to hold it in.....delivered

Why don't people fix this sort of shit? It's a 5 minute job and 5 quid FFS. It's probably knackered the fan and as the ECU uses the same sensor I can't imagine what it'll be doing to fuel economy. To put up with it like that is just mental

Jag owners for you
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Jag owners for you
    I thought he was complaining about the sender on the golf

Rides
    He has so many broken cars I loose track
    Mark is right.

Rides
    That is savage

Yeah golf temp sender. Jaaaag who knows. 911 still locked out of. Not in a position to do anything about that this week so hello summer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The Gti will map to about 200bhp, be a pretty good laugh then
    An 800 quid one doesn't