Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Need a sensible, practical and economical car, but still fun.....What do?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    God all of this talk of Civics I'm tempted to buy a CTR. You remember my last what car thread where I asked about diesel mile munchers and bought a 911
    Haha I'm so predictable - should have just done it in 2018 and skipped the Jag

Rides
    I'm seeing prices like £27 to £45 for them epoxy potted SODs.

Bet it's a £1.60 relay, 50p worth of diodes, resistors, capacitor and transistor (crudest cheapest R-C timer circuit) in a 20p box with 20p of plugs....

and a polyfuse that retails for £1.62, going to be less by the 1000.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hhtl1a2sc
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civ...-/282516628077

About on par with the Nissan air "CON" thermo control amp £110+vat. Less than £10 worth of parts that some F'in C**T potted in rubber so it can't be fixed. When it goes wrong the air con runs at +6°C instead of -3°C. A 10p variable resistor in series with the temp probe re-calibrated it. It's the only electronic part on the S13 that is potted, all the timers for headlamp, windows, mirrors, door locks and dim-dip can be worked on. Not had a look in an auto box control yet but they can be replaced with upgrades (flappy paddle).

Cheap bits of electronics that are potted to prevent repair and then they charge extortionate 1000% profit prices for, makes my piss boil.

Rides
    You are entirely right mate that's all they are. People replace the prongy bit with a quid part and they work again

I would have but don't have a soldering iron and needed it done in a hurry for wife to drive to work. Then just after ordering the need went away as work closed.

Aceballs.

Rides
    All done

The originals had been taken apart already and had a new poly fuse fitted but that clearly didn't last long. Popping the covers off was the worst bit - I took the glass out and squeezed the tab clips together from the inside of the mirror unit but Honda recommend brute force and ignorance can't understand why when you could easily break the clips

Old to the new:

Mirrors now fold in and out as they should - bit more expensive than it bloody well should be but at least it's fixed.

Also, whilst I was out and in my work gear with tools out, I had a go at raising the biting point of the clutch up a bit as it was quite low to the floor - 'they're all like that sir' seems to be the advice. Well they're not if you adjust it properly. Locknut hidden by the cruise control clutch plunger switch - remove that and depress the clutch (tell it it's gonna die of coronavirus - seems to work) and locknut appears. Easy enough when you've got the panel off.

Needed a quarter to a half rotation and clutch is now nicely in the middle of travel which will make things easier for Mrs Arry to manage.

Rides
    Gave the CTR its first wash in my ownership today. Some things struck me:
    1) It's a pretty clean and straight car, actually - it's had a small parking knock on the front corner at some point which has just tweaked the bumper to wing gap, but it's not too bad or noticeable. Other than that, the bonnet has been resprayed to get rid of the stonechips I'd reckon, and they've not done a great job of it, and there's a few swirls in the rear quarters from previous poor washing, but nothing too bad.
    2) The amount of tar spots it had was insane. I didn't have any TFR so I've had to go at them a bit aggressively with the shampoo and then a clay mit which wasn't ideal but got most of it off, but will need a bit more at some point in the future.
    3) The panels are so blinkin' thin - touch them and they bend in and out.
    4) I'm really starting to like this thing - which is a bugger because I don't want to pass it over to Mrs Arry now

Rides
    Typical Honda fanboi ! jizzing on his car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Typical Honda fanboi ! jizzing on his car
    Heavily loaded at the moment; that was just a minor crisis.

Rides
    Ha, that was the last wash it ever had

Minor update. Went for MOT and it was a case of straight through APART FROM one small little thing which was a driver's side front shock gone a bit weepy. Originally I thought I'd just get a set of front shocks and whack them in with the same springs / top mounts since this is supposed to be bangernomics but since handling is the car's party piece I decided to go the full hog. Haven't gone coilovers but TBH looking back at it, given the amount the stock stuff has cost me, I probably should have done. So I've gone for Sachs OEM replacement dampers, Honda top mounts and Eibach Pro Kit springs which lower the car ~15mm.

Sporteh:

To be fitted in the next couple of weeks.

And then today I took the thing out across to Wallasea Island for a bit of recreation around the nature reserve there - filthy dirty but here she is:

About 4 minutes after this shot was taken I nearly ditched it into the creek Front got a load of understeer going on as I rounded a tight right hander, so I took a bit of lock out to get the slip angle back and in doing so that sorted the front but unsettled the rear and wahaay around it came Bunch of oppo and a bit of right boot and we drove out in one piece, but it was closer than I'd have liked Maybe some decent tyres next, then

Rides
    Or stop driving like a knobber

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Or stop driving like a knobber
    Where's the fun in that? You really have got old

Rides
    Driving really fast in a scrabbler or upmarket Audi/BMW = knobber.
    Driving fast in a RWD super slider = god.

Thought this was law by now...

Rides
    Where's the fun in that? You really have got old
    It happened when you took me out in that fecking Golf with the Yong-Cheng tyres on

Rides
    They were especially terrible.

At some point I'll stick new stickier rubber on the Civic - it has 'alright' budget tyres on it at the moment; quite why I don't know as the bill in the folder for them shows the previous keeper paid more than the price of a decent tyre

Rides
    Minor update - new shocks, springs, top mounts and drop links fitted with a decent alignment and she's now a much better steer for it. The woolly front end has gone and you can feel the road through the wheel more accurately. I don't think roadholding has improved that much but I have a feeling that any small issue in respect of the suspension magnifies the 'dulled' response of the electric steering.

All the better for it now anyway, and it's been quite enjoyable to drive.

Tyres are getting a bit worn on the rear so I'll be swapping to some decent rubber in coming months. Michelin PS4 get the most votes in the Civic world. Anyone any other recommendations?

Rides
    I like the Yokohama V105s I've got on the Subaru. Grippy in the wet which helps with a scrabble wagon.

Rides
    Michelin PS4 get the most votes in the Civic world. Anyone any other recommendations?
    I have these on my Merc E350, very good option (I have the earlier PS3 on my Z4M and the PS4S on my Vantage)

Rides
    Cheers guys - I'll see what the prices look like for both and work it out from there.

Also on the list is a new Head Unit as the sound quality is absolutely terrible, I mean bad enough you'd want to tear your own ears off - but getting a new one in there is not straight forward as it's an odd shape, so new fascia required etc. Might put my old classic Pioneer 2 dial into the 911 and the Alpine from the 911 in the Chavic.