Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Need a sensible, practical and economical car, but still fun.....What do?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    God all of this talk of Civics I'm tempted to buy a CTR. You remember my last what car thread where I asked about diesel mile munchers and bought a 911
    Haha I'm so predictable - should have just done it in 2018 and skipped the Jag
    Porsche 911 C2 & FN2 Civic Type R
    KTM 990 & Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Rides
    I'm seeing prices like 27 to 45 for them epoxy potted SODs.

Bet it's a 1.60 relay, 50p worth of diodes, resistors, capacitor and transistor (crudest cheapest R-C timer circuit) in a 20p box with 20p of plugs....

and a polyfuse that retails for 1.62, going to be less by the 1000.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hhtl1a2sc
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civ...-/282516628077

About on par with the Nissan air "CON" thermo control amp 110+vat. Less than 10 worth of parts that some F'in C**T potted in rubber so it can't be fixed. When it goes wrong the air con runs at +6C instead of -3C. A 10p variable resistor in series with the temp probe re-calibrated it. It's the only electronic part on the S13 that is potted, all the timers for headlamp, windows, mirrors, door locks and dim-dip can be worked on. Not had a look in an auto box control yet but they can be replaced with upgrades (flappy paddle).

Cheap bits of electronics that are potted to prevent repair and then they charge extortionate 1000% profit prices for, makes my piss boil.

Rides
    You are entirely right mate that's all they are. People replace the prongy bit with a quid part and they work again

I would have but don't have a soldering iron and needed it done in a hurry for wife to drive to work. Then just after ordering the need went away as work closed.

Aceballs.

Rides
    All done

The originals had been taken apart already and had a new poly fuse fitted but that clearly didn't last long. Popping the covers off was the worst bit - I took the glass out and squeezed the tab clips together from the inside of the mirror unit but Honda recommend brute force and ignorance can't understand why when you could easily break the clips

Old to the new:

Mirrors now fold in and out as they should - bit more expensive than it bloody well should be but at least it's fixed.

Also, whilst I was out and in my work gear with tools out, I had a go at raising the biting point of the clutch up a bit as it was quite low to the floor - 'they're all like that sir' seems to be the advice. Well they're not if you adjust it properly. Locknut hidden by the cruise control clutch plunger switch - remove that and depress the clutch (tell it it's gonna die of coronavirus - seems to work) and locknut appears. Easy enough when you've got the panel off.

Needed a quarter to a half rotation and clutch is now nicely in the middle of travel which will make things easier for Mrs Arry to manage.

Rides
    Gave the CTR its first wash in my ownership today. Some things struck me:
    1) It's a pretty clean and straight car, actually - it's had a small parking knock on the front corner at some point which has just tweaked the bumper to wing gap, but it's not too bad or noticeable. Other than that, the bonnet has been resprayed to get rid of the stonechips I'd reckon, and they've not done a great job of it, and there's a few swirls in the rear quarters from previous poor washing, but nothing too bad.
    2) The amount of tar spots it had was insane. I didn't have any TFR so I've had to go at them a bit aggressively with the shampoo and then a clay mit which wasn't ideal but got most of it off, but will need a bit more at some point in the future.
    3) The panels are so blinkin' thin - touch them and they bend in and out.
    4) I'm really starting to like this thing - which is a bugger because I don't want to pass it over to Mrs Arry now

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Typical Honda fanboi ! jizzing on his car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Typical Honda fanboi ! jizzing on his car
    Heavily loaded at the moment; that was just a minor crisis.