Thread: House insurance claim - burglary :-(

Rides

House insurance claim - burglary :-(

Evening all knowing SXOC....

Having never had to do this before, can anyone advise.

Thursday evening some thieving bastard has popped my shed door off its hinges and stolen my mates bike and my dewalt tools.... Possibly other stuff I've not realised yet.

Anyway I need to put a claim in as the bike was pretty decent - specialized stumpjumper comp, and obviously the tools were not cheap.

The insurance company (tesco. Underwritten by sun life) have asked me to email the list of stolen goods and crime ref. No. With receipts.

Now here lies the problem - I only have receipts for my dewalt drill set and nut buster (online via screwfix about 3 months ago). But the others have been acquired over years and were all bought cash from various tool shops and wholesalers (sparky by trade and just buy stuff on sale when I get the urge or see a bargain)

Anyhow it's a circular saw, angle grinder and the old drill set that the new one replaced plus a couple of 3.0ah batteries and a 5.0ah in the nut buster.

I have no photos etc, because, well who takes pictures of thier tools?

Also the bike is a 2010 model but has no receipt and I can only find 1 crap picture of it (afterall it's for riding not looking at)

Thankfully they must have been disturbed by me when I let the dog out (was 10pm) and my kona, sthil saw, chain saw etc are still here.

So 2 things - what do I do about the insurance? Send a list, tell them I have no proof and hope? Or what other options do I have?

The police are aware of what's missing on the crime ref.

And 2nd, they have now seen what else is in the shed.... Will they be back, suggestions on what to do when they do?

The shed door has now been replaced with a steel frame and door I welded up yesterday so pretty sure they would change thier mind when they see it..... But where it is has me concerned that someone would have the bollocks do it.

I have a 2 car drive and 14 steps.from the roadside, then through the garden gate to the shed about 4 mtrs from the kitchen window - certainly not somewhere advertising it's location or what you would call a opportunity theft location.

With a 3yr old daughter and wife in the house I'm concerned that they could be waiting to do harm to myself or anyone else if we stumbled on them (appear to have used a large crowbar to pop the hinges judging by the damage left) I would not fancy that round my head.

We do have a 7st American bulldog which you would think would put people off, but he's 11yrs old and slept through the incident + I wouldn't want send him out to get hurt by some junkie tosser. But if you were watching the property I would have thought it would give them second thoughts.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    have you the boxes/ instruction books for said tools?
    or have any of your mates got the boxes/instruction books for their tools? or have you any pictures showing you with these tools or bikes??

Rides
    None.....

It genuinely never crossed my mind regarding the tools...... Didn't really need the instructions on how to use a saw lol

They were pretty old to be fair (night cad batteries) but still usable and will be missed.

Plus all the "spare" batteries were "acquired" from work..... So no receipts

Again the same for the bike, it's getting on for 9yrs old so no paperwork and the only picture I can find is a crap top down shot outside a shop.

I've sent the email now, hoping that the police report is proof enough as I reported the bike and dewalt tools to the cops

Rides
    Chances are they checked the place out a day or two before, probably early morning when everyone is asleep, just wondered around the houses and looked over everyones fence/gate looking for sheds and stuff.
    Sheds are an easy target, half aren't even locked and the rest are poorly secured. The contents are easy to shift on and you're less likely to have to tangle with the home owner while robbing them.

Like you said, it's just junkie scum robbing stuff to pay for a quick fix.

Rides
    wonder around your house and look over fence/gate for sheds and stuff
    how to delete instagram account

Rides
    Had a good look round... Nothing

Camera set arrived today, so fun weekend installing 8x poe cameras

Still not heard off insurance, how long does it usually take?

Rides
    Well as expected the insurance have now decided not to play ball....

Original conversation I informed them I don't have receipts nd they said it wasn't a problem.. Now they want proof of purchase.

Probably pretty much frigged for getting anything back, it's like getting robbed twice.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can try recover something from them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Well as expected the insurance have now decided not to play ball....

Original conversation I informed them I don't have receipts nd they said it wasn't a problem.. Now they want proof of purchase.

Probably pretty much frigged for getting anything back, it's like getting robbed twice.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can try recover something from them

Old bank statements?

Rides
    I only buy things for cash....

I did say to them it's unreasonable to expect receipt for power tools I've been acquiring over 10+ yrs...

The bike shop have said they'll do a letter to say they won't be able to get a copy of the receipt, but we're the shop I bought it from

Rides
    That's a bit of a shitter I guess the flip side is people make up a list of things they don't/didn't own so companies are reluctant to pay out.

Could you send them pics of the current saws to prove you do still have some tools left? Clutching at straws a bit. Maybe explain to them that you're being honest and they weren't brand new etc so you'll be happy with like for like (price wise?)?
    Last edited by Silane; 30-09-2018 at 15:27.

Rides
    I can understand their reluctance....

But then what I've claimed for was reported to the police, and it's not like I'm maxing out my "allowance" for out buildings.

Its only effective 3 items that were pinched - bike, drill driver set & a tote bag of old dewalts.

Kind of makes you wish you went balls out for all the newer stuff I do have receipts for

Rides
    See 92/2 here.
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....laims.html#cs2

Do you have ANY proof of ownership?

Rides
    I hate you, Arry ! I just wasted 30 minutes of my life scrolling through those bloody things. lol

Fascinating.

Rides
    Cheers arry...

I currently have the guys I ride with looking through thier phones for proof pictures..... I have 1 crappy top down photo my mate sent his Mrs when she asked what we were upto on a ride - it's dire though..

I definitely don't have anything for the tools though

Rides
    this is why I asked if any of your mates had boxes/ receipts that you could 'borrow' to show proof of ownership.

Rides
    woo hoo - actually got the claim settled.....

though they did knock £700 off for cash instead of posting out the items, but then id rather give a local trader some business than a massive corporation.

anyone got any tips for where to pick up a new whyte bike? after riding a few I think ill be replacing the secialized with one of them