Thread: S14 rust issues!!

Rides

Exclamation S14 rust issues!!

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and fairly new to owning an S14... only problem is, now I've noticed that the rear sills are rotten Can I please have some advise on a good place to get new sills, any recommendations on a place to get it welded and an estimate of how much it would all cost! Also if any of you guys here have had any other issues mechanically or rust wise I'd love to hear of them..

Thanks in advance for any of the responses I get here!

Rides
    The only person you can talk to on Facebook is Steve Richardson as he do all the sills and done them in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Visit couple of local body shop for estimate and ask how will they fix it. Some shops do short cuts some do it the right way so just to give you idea which ones you prefer. A friendly tip, it would be nice to stop by the shop often and bring some beer, you’ll see if they actually doing what you guys agreed on. Not that you don’t trust them, but there are plenty of shady shops out there.

Rides
    Hello and welcome
    While I'm an old hand on SXOC I'm unsure what the current situation is with S14 sill panel availability. We did have a member with the proper tools pressing new ones for a while as it is a common problem area for rust.
    A capable bodyshop should be able to patch up , or better recreate the rear sills even if new 'ready made' panels are not available today.
    Whereabouts in the country are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by soe_s14 View Post
    so if any of you guys here have had any other issues mechanically or rust wise I'd love to hear of them..
    Ahahaha that's a good one
    May I refer you to some of the previous 64,000threads in this section
    I don't have my S14 anymore, but the S14 is a 1990s Nissan, therefore fundamentally very reliable mechanically and electrically, but it likes to rust a bit.
    Most healthy S14s get modified until they are broken.

For my own areas of expertise, I shall start with:
    - You have heated mirrors, and they come on automatically when the heated rear window is on. Some owners have had their car for years and don't know that.
    - If your passenger electric window stops working, check the cut-off button on the driver's door, before dismantling the passenger door. It's easily pressed by accident.
    - If your headlamp washers don't work, forget them, none of them do.

Rides
    The honest truth is a good bodyshop will most likely charge you in the region of 1.5-2k for sills and arches to be done providing you supply panels. Will that include prep and paint, im unsure... A good spray job will cost you anywhere from 3-8k depending on where you take the car.

Sure lads in Birmingham and Leeds seem to get full resprays done for 3-400 pounds easily but these are for quick sellers, not for keep-cars.

Rides
    here's guy that sells sills on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-S1...gAAOSw2xRYfKkC

if you let us know where you live I am sure you'll get some recommendations of good garages to take it too.

Good luck with it

Rides
    Hi thanks for all the replies. I'm probably going to look around at a few bodyshops local to me, see what kind of prices they quote and I will definitely check out the pages and people you've told me about. I'm from west London. I'm happy to hear that they are reliable, I work for Honda so i know the majority of the older Jap cars are usually quite reliable!! and I had no idea the have heated mirrors!!
    Last edited by soe_s14; 14-09-2018 at 19:16.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by soe_s14 View Post
    and I had no idea the have heated mirrors!!
    Had my car nearly 15 years, I had no idea either

But just to pull Jon up, my headlamp washers do work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    here's guy that sells sills on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-S1...gAAOSw2xRYfKkC

if you let us know where you live I am sure you'll get some recommendations of good garages to take it too.

Good luck with it
    +1 for these sills, fitted them to my car and they’re a great fit, direct replacement no messing around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo View Post
    Had my car nearly 15 years, I had no idea either

But just to pull Jon up, my headlamp washers do work
    As did mine (though I think the washer pump has gone completely as none of the washers work anywhere

The headlight washers only work though if your headlights are on, as a bit of side information.

Rides
    that I never knew. I always though mine were fecked!!!!!!