Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Rides
    Spent most of Saturday rubbing down/prepping the bodywork for primer, just before that though I wanted to make sure the fuel cap worked properly as it bugs me not having it on. I made up some spacers to bring it out flush, then cut and extended the latch so it clips over and unlocks/opens out when the cable is used inside.

Fuel cap and spacers by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I had also swapped out my old spacers for some slightly bigger ones but still might need more to properly fill the rear arches...

Last pic with the fuel cap and spacers all fitted up. Then pulled off the fenders, skirts and bumper and managed to rub them down and get them in primer by the end of the day

Rides
    Done a bit of a deal with the apprentice in the bodyshop, going to sort out some mechanical bits on his car if he paints my kit. Not expecting anything special but as long as it's close enough and all in one colour, I will be happy.

So now it's all in primer ready to rub back again, this was last weekend so been rubbing bits down as and when I get time!

In primer by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Also spent gave the truck a bit of tlc as its my daily, new rear prop bearing, alignment and a wash!

Landcruiser U/J by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Bit of routine maintenance this weekend, oil and filter, check levels and did a nut and bolt check! Normally I have to use the 4 post ramp as I can't get the car on a 2 post lift wit the kit on as it catches the legs so was good timing with my kit being painted.

IMG_20190309_113948 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20190309_114153 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

2019-03-10_05-54-30 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

You can see my oil cooler sandwich plate and my cusco engine mounts in this pic above, the sandwich plate does make it slightly more fiddly to undo/remove the filter but no major headache.

IMG_20190305_180131 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All done and ready to go, my kit is painted now too but due to it all being fibreglass we didn't want to bake it so had to leave it to air dry and hoping to fit it all this week.

IMG_20190309_145355 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Whilst I couldn't fit the kit over the weekend I thought why not have a play in my friends yard! Was fun clipping the cones although was a bit rusty on my first few laps, very slippery/dusty so had to feather the throttle a fair bit as you can hear. Love the turbo flutter and external wastegate noises!

Also bought a ticket for Driftcup 2019 whoop! I will be going to Three Sisters, never been there so hoping for a practice day before. Unfortunately all the tracks in Driftcup are minimum 5+ hours away from me so haven't been to any of them other than Teeside. I will have to be on it!

Rides
    3 sisters was completely resurfaced a while ago so is fairly consistent grip wise. I hope they run a different layout for the competition as the local guys would have a pretty big advantage over everyone else.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    3 sisters was completely resurfaced a while ago so is fairly consistent grip wise. I hope they run a different layout for the competition as the local guys would have a pretty big advantage over everyone else.
    That's good to hear about the surface but ye that's what i'm worried about, most of the tracks miles away from me I haven't been to and some of them run the same layouts so I will have to knuckle down on the practice day to get it dialed as best I can.

I am super happy now though as the car is all one colour, whoop!

Painted kit by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Painted kit by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

2019-03-16_08-40-50 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Been a bit busy as next competition round is coming up soon, swapped out the mild steel fixings I had for the body kit with some nice stainless headed screws:

Stainless fixings by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Re-fitted the Enkei's all round ready for MOT time, it passed one less thing to worry about before the first round of driftcup this year!

Ignore the window trims that is on the list of jobs to redo nicely. Put my rear enkei's back on all ready for MOT time, I prefer having the matching set on it, car also passed whoop

Now it just needs a few things doing ready for driftcup round 1, first job was to put some clear window film on the front windows, difficult showing the film on the window as it's clear lol. Was super cheap, less than a tenner for more than enough for the inside of both driver and passenger door windows. This is a safety feature brought into driftcup this year incase a window smashes it holds together.

Enkei's and film by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Enkei's and film by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Jobs over the next couple weeks are:
    Change my harnesses to wrap around the roll cage rather than clip in the seat belt mounts
    Fit bonnet pins/aero catches
    Buy fireproof helmet and boots

Rides
    So cracked on with the aerocatches last weekend.

Before:

Aero catches by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Found the best place for the pins is on the brackets that the headlights bolt to that then bolt to the slam panel. There are 2 rubber gromets you can remove and with a small amount of drilling the pins fit nice, then made a pattern to cut around as you need to be quite exact with the aerocatches for them to fit.

I also pulled off the Nissan badge as it had started to come loose after cutting out the latch in behind. Swapped out the black screws for stainless too, original black on the right and new fittings on the left.

Rides
    Last weekend was Driftcup round 1, crikey what a weekend! I couldn't afford the practice day on the Friday as it meant I would need an extra couple nights stay as Saturday is the unseeded drivers and i'm in the seeded class on the Sunday. This year is the first time Driftcup is split over 2 days. Making it more like the BDC so unseeded/seeded classes are used like the pro-am and pro in BDC.

So...... Loaded up Friday night, left quite early Saturday morning as it's over 5 hrs drive from South Devon to Three sisters circuit. Got there in time to watch the unseeded class qualifying and battles, was really good to watch and gave me a bit of an idea what line I needed to take.

Driftcup round 1 three sisters 2019 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Got to the track early Sunday morning so I could sign on, get my sunstrip fitted and have a cooked breakfast before the day got going.

Lots of seat time in the morning practice so didn't feel too bad not doing the practice day. Anyway onto qualifying, first run went in way too aggressive and messed my line up pretty bad, think I scored a 40 which wasn't very good and probably wouldn't have got me top 32, pulled myself together and tried to relax on my second run, managed a 55 which was good enough to qualify 23rd. I was happy with that considering I had never drifted the track before that morning.

Onto the Battles, top 32 battle was against 10th qualifier Tony Morgan in his 400hp s13. I had a fairly good lead run and on my chase run Tony struggled with gear changes and straightened too much in front of me so I got the win. Great to win but shame it was due to errors on his part.

Then onto top 16, up against Josh Payne in his m3 powered e36, done a few runs with him in the morning and he seemed pretty on it! We both done decent-ish lead and chase runs and judges went OMT. Was doing fine on my lead run until changing gear on the second half of the track and just got a neutral, clutch had started to smell throughout the day and I think this was it's last outing ( it's been in the car over 6 years mind you!) Then onto my chase and I think nerves got the better of me after knowing I had messed up the lead run and worrying about the gear changes, I was just all over the place and hardly even drifted so the win went to Josh, definitely the right decision.

I had a brilliant time though and winning my first battle was pretty satisfying so looking forward to round 2!

Got some video's I need to edit etc and more pics so will put them up over the next few days.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Fair effort mate and some cracking pics there.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Fair effort mate and some cracking pics there.
    Thanks mate i was happy with how it went, ye luckily there are a good few photographers at driftcup events!

Here's some more pics and a video from a practice run, was taking it quite steady into the first corner so I could try and get the correct line, looks easy from the outside but being at the exact point the judges want for multiple clips is quite difficult.

Rides
    that corner catches quite a few people out as its quite tight. its common to see people go straight on as they have gone in to fast.

Rides
    Few small jobs done over the weekend, firstly got rid of the bonnet latch and cable as i no longer needed it with the aero-catches, just cut some 2mm steel to a T shape, then marked and drilled the holes.

It also gave me a nice solid piece to mount the bottom intercooler bracket to, the second bolt up in the second pic, you cant really see before but I only had a wimpy bit of builders band to keep it in place. Its solid now.

Arch wires and latch by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Had a general check over and I noticed the wireing in the arch which I tucked up a good year or so ago had rubbed through in a few places. When I got home whipped the wheel off, quick tape up of the bare wires and then cable tie back up and should be good to go for next weekend. I definitely need to do something a bit more permanent with the wireing in the future though. Re-route the harness through the engine bay maybe.

I used a bit of old motorbike inner tube as a cover and wrapped it around before I tied it back so that should protect it a little more. Next is to get myself ready for next weekend as I'm off to Norfolk for round 2 of driftcup at Adrian FLux Arena!

Rides
    Forgot to post up but just before my last update I also swapped out the clutch, went from the stage 2 CC clutch to a 'white bunny' CC clutch and I cannot believe how light the clutch pedal is now!

Old cc stage 2 clutch by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Old one which has been in the car since I bought it about 6/7years, little bit heat spotted lol:

Hardly used White bunny kit with paddle centre plate which is suppose to hold fairly good power!

Clutch and landcruiser welding by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Will update about Round 2 Driftcup soon!

Rides
    Bit slow to update but made the 600 mile round trip to Adrian Flux Arena last month. Loaded up the night before and left at 9am saturday and got there mid afternoon in time to watch some of the battles.

Driftcup round 2 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Decided to join in with the evening team drifting on the saturday, any extra practice was good as I had been told seat time was not great at this venue. Had a great laugh doing the team comp and we even managed to knock out another team so that was cool!

Onto Sunday and probably only got 4/5 lead and chase runs in that morning so wasn't super confident as I had never been there before and didn't quite know how well everyone else was doing, here's a practice run from the morning:

Went out and done my qualifying runs and managed to get 23rd with a score of 58! Same place I got last round at Three sisters so was happy with that.

My top 32 battle was against Nik harding in the old slide motorsport built 2jz e36. Done a practice run with him in the morning and new he was good. I think looking back I should have dropped some more tyre pressure as even though I did an ok chase run I had a slightly dodgy initiation on my lead and couldn't pull away which meant he was on my door from the first corner really. Something to think about next time but tbf he had twice the hp of my car so once he got close I was never really going to pull away! Nik won and that was definitely the right decision but we had a chat afterwards and we both enjoyed it so that's all that matters.

Looking forward to some local skids next weekend as should be doing demo's next weekend at bhp fuelfest, whoop!

Rides
    Haven't updated for a month or so but last weekend did some drift demo's with Driftoutlaws at BHP fuelfest at Westpoint near Exeter. It's quite a big car show but only a small group of drift drivers who share the stunt area with some moto x riders etc. Seat time was pretty good and lots of photo's and video's have come through which is cool.

Was an awesome day and the guy who organises it Matt Chiappa is a top bloke, will definitely get involved with the Outlaws crew again!

BHP drifting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Done quite a lot of lead and chase driving and we even had some 3 and 4 car trains at times!

More bhp by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

More bhp by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All was going well until the last session of the day and Hugo (in the green s14) spun in-front of me, we were drifting quite close and I had already initiated in the same direction so as he over-rotated I didn't have anywhere to go and went sideways into the front of his car. Second time I've had a green s14 spin in front of me in the past year lol.

Bash bar shaped door lol

Hugo's car was ok just the bumper and light broken, after a quick check over we carried on til the day was done. Awesome day overall and the Drift Outlaws are a super good crowd.

Time to sort another door before driftcup round 3 at Teesside!

Rides
    Soo managed to pick up a door within a couple hrs drive so cracked on and picked it up last night. Started stripping my car down on my lunch and gave the wing a little bash back straight-ish:

Door by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Got it all fitted after work:

Door by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Not perfect by any means as the door hinges could do with a bit more exact adjustment but wanted to crack on and get it back together as was driving it home. Got 2 more drift days next month so no point going too crazy with fitment, might have to swap it out again !

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Got off lightly with the impact mate did you see much of the show at west Point? I haven’t bothered to go the last couple years.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Got off lightly with the impact mate did you see much of the show at west Point? I haven’t bothered to go the last couple years.
    Ye was pretty lucky to be fair! Erm nah not really, had a quick walk through the main hall to get to the toilets and also watched the stunt people as they were using the same arena otherwise didn't get about the show much unfortnuately.

Here's the on board video from BHP including the crash I had at the end, not my smoothest driving but was trying to keep as close as possible and most of the time also had someone chasing behind me. Awesome fun running 3 - 4 car tandems though. Got a few little bits to do and I will be (sort of) ready for Driftcup round 3!

Rides
    Had a few jobs I wanted to do for Driftcup round 3 at Teesside, I always try to keep the engine temps as cool as possible and always notice just how much heat is held in the engine bay when queing up the second I open the bonnet so decided that some bonnet vents/louvres and some better ducting on the front bumper/under tray wouldn't do any harm. Didn't get many pics of the prep work but I made some cardboard templates and cut out the perspex ducting with the jigsaw and drilled a few small holes to allow me to cable tie it together. I also made a small undertray between the front tension rods.

Driftcup prep and damage by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Then moved onto the bonnet vents, only had time to do one so went for the side above the turbo as that is probably the most heat intensive area. Took me about half hr to decide where I wanted them but here they are loosely sat on the bonnet:

Marked up and decided to move them back a bit more and then cracked on, masked up and cut it out with a grinder:

Also used some sealant on the underneath of the bonnet just to help keep it in place. The finished result:

Will update about Driftcup next.