Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good work

Was your land cruiser parked in Taunton Morrison’s today?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Good work

Was your land cruiser parked in Taunton Morrison’s today?
    Sorry for slow reply and thanks

Nah that wasn't me I think I probably know who it was though, a lad called Dean who lives near there. He is also into his drifting and owns a v8 is200 drift car amongst other stuff.

Rides
    Time for a bit of an update!

Went to the last ever Rockingham infield and Meihan replica drift day, stayed over at a nearby hotel the night before, luckily the car and trailer was still there when I came out in the morning

IMG_20181111_082406 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

The que into the venu was slow and I had to wait for the second briefing but I didn't miss out too badly on track as it was wet in the morning and the tracks took until midday to rubber in nicely, before that I spun out multiple times due to both infield tracks being very slippery!

This pic is when we stopped for lunch.

IMG_20181111_115512 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I sold one set of my skid wheels a few weeks ago and bought some rota's instead, they fit very snug on the back with my spacers

Got a few video's, my misses did a good job filming me on the meihan track, this is soo much fun, 3rd gear flicking it in towards the wall then getting as sideways as you can into the big corner. It was my first time trying this layout, wish I had done it more and gone in faster but hey ho I had a go.

More to come....

Rides
    Near the end of the last meihan/infield Rockingham day I noticed a bit of an exhaust blow, thought didn't sound too bad will look when i'm home. Checked when I was back a couple days later and could see it had been blowing slightly from the wastegate to manifold gasket, not too bad I will just get another gasket.

IMG_20181117_121052 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Bought gasket and went to remove wastegate, undone 1 bolt and the wastegate nearly fell off, realised the head of the second bolt had done a brexit and that's why the gasket had blown like it had.

IMG_20181120_204401 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20181120_204302 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Luckily was just a case of removing and replacing the broken head bolt as it wasn't too tight in the manifold.

Forgot to take a photo but also been looking at trying different suspension pre-load and damping settings, previously I had been running a small amount of preload all around, main reason on the front was to try and stop the tyres rubbing on the arches when hard on lock and coming off a cambered corner or going over a bump (like dropping from the bank/oval at rockingham to the flat or the first corner at teeside) Rear was set up to try and generally stiffen up the rear but haven't really messed with the settings for a year or more.

I am going to adjust one axle at a time so i have unwound the rears until they had no preload but enough to just hold the spring (previously had about 5-10mm preload) will see what difference that makes if any this weekend but hoping for more grip/bite when intitiating, difficult to compare as going to a completely different track, Rockingham is a lot grippier than the small day I will be going to next weekend but still any seat time/testing is good, plus I can check the wastegate stays on. Will then play with the damping a bit more so I know exactly what is helping the most.

Also started making up the bends for my rear bumper bar, only got the 2 top pieces welded on so far but that should be a good start in supporting the top of the bumper below the rear quarters. Welded an extra bracket near the bottom to make it solid as it now has 3 attachment points, both sides in the chassis rails and the bottom of the floor, ideal.

IMG_20181117_115327 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20181117_111529 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20181117_111806 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20181117_120836 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice work, not seen that design of bash bar before, will the corners be solid enough unsupported? Guess it depends how hard you hit them.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Nice work, not seen that design of bash bar before, will the corners be solid enough unsupported? Guess it depends how hard you hit them.
    I actually found out at the weekend just gone, will update with a few video's later but took out the rear bumper on my first lap at westonzoyland drift day lol! The bumper bar did it's job and just pushed in a bit but I did break my fibreglass bumper into 2 pieces which was a shame as only had it painted up a few months ago

I might find I need to reinforce it in the future but for the minute that's how I will leave it.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Didn’t know those days were still going tbf, will keep an eye out for the next update

Rides
    Didn’t know those days were still going tbf, will keep an eye out for the next update
    Ye can be quite hard to get a spot as there is a reserve group and the guys who are regulars get first dibs, it's a nice chilled drift day though and they let you do twinning in the afternoon so good practice

Here's a video after I had already lost my bumper, think a friend has a video of me actually crashing/loosing the bumper so will upload when I get it.

No tyre smoke as a very wet day. Car seemed to be working well though which was nice.

Rides
    Here's a few pic's from last weekend, as you can see it looks like I had been rallying ha ha:

IMG_20181124_155056 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20181124_155115 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

And my broken bumper

IMG_20181124_101618 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Had a bit of time today and mocked up the rear overfenders I had left over from my spare shell. Had to do a bit of fettling to get them fitted how I wanted but not far off. Only got the passenger side actually screwed on as it started pissing it down with rain when I went to the drivers side!

I still need to mark,cut back and weld the rear arches but you can see how it is going to look now, the rear wheels will still need spacing about 30/35mm wider than before even though I currently run the rear tyres nearly touching the flared/rolled arches

Over fenders part 1 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I also had another go at the rear bumper with some duct tape to try and get it sitting nicer. Funny how in the pics the camera makes it look as if I am running no front camber like on the rear but actually it's about 3.5degrees on the front and 0.5 on the rear.

Will update again soon!

Rides
    Had some time last weekend and got the other over fender fitted, then started to mark up and cut/tub the n/s/r arch. Looking forward to doing the other side and then getting some bigger spacers fitted so the wheels fill the rear arches better

[IMG]Overfender fitting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Overfender fitting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr[/IMG]

Overfender fitting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Overfender fitting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Will get some pics of the tubs when i've done both sides!

Rides
    Finally got some time to carry on chopping up my arches:

IMG_20190105_105439 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_20190105_121946 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_20190105_132811 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20190105_145429 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20190105_145402 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All sealed up, this should be enough clearance!

IMG_20190114_172513 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Marked up the other side

IMG_20190117_172113 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr[/IMG]

You can also see I replaced my rear 1/4 windows with plexi, if i'm honest not worth the hassle but at-least they can't shatter if it takes a hit. Need to try and finish them off a bit nicer as the original window trim wouldn't bond very well so pulled it off for the minute.

This pretty much brings me up to date, hoping to finish the other arch this weekend.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Looks like a decent job on the rear tubs, hate it when people bodge them as it’ll rust out in no time...

Rides
    Looks like a decent job on the rear tubs, hate it when people bodge them as it’ll rust out in no time...
    Thanks, ye I know what you mean, seen a few other people bodge them and wanted to do it right first time! Managed to get the other side all done today so next thing is to prep the over-fenders and fix the bumper ready for paint.

Tubbed arch by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Car really needs a wash

Rides
    Started rubbing down and repairing my bumper over the past week, pieced it back together by using a couple metal brackets and cable ties to hold it in place whilst i fibre-glassed the back of it, then cut the brackets off and done the same to the front.

Bumper repair by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

More to come soon, have a few small jobs to do and possibly a couple of local drift days

Rides
    whats the spec on you white Enkei wheels?

when fixing FRP panels with parts missing, just cover over the outer side with masking tape, reinforce with cardboard if needed. then build up the inside with fibreglass.peel off the masking tape and you have your missing bits filled in nice and smooth.

think im going to come down and do a pembry day they look like good fun. im still annoyed they stopped doing rockingham infield days, L-2-D are running outer paddock days again but they wet the track so its a waste of time going.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    whats the spec on you white Enkei wheels?

when fixing FRP panels with parts missing, just cover over the outer side with masking tape, reinforce with cardboard if needed. then build up the inside with fibreglass.peel off the masking tape and you have your missing bits filled in nice and smooth.

think im going to come down and do a pembry day they look like good fun. im still annoyed they stopped doing rockingham infield days, L-2-D are running outer paddock days again but they wet the track so its a waste of time going.
    Hey, the enkei fronts are 17x9 and offset I think et36-38 can't remember exactly but I am running 25mm extended arms and 18mm front spacers. I normally run the matching 17x10 et40ish rears with 25mm spacers but that was before I fitted the overfenders. Still got a set of my rota skid wheels on at the minute though.

Ye I tried tape but being completely split in 2 parts it was still pretty floppy, cardboard might have helped but didn't take long to drill and cable tie the steel.

I haven't been to the new Pembrey layout yet but from video's it looks good. Might try a weekender up there sometime!

Got a bit of time after work to do a job I've been trying to do for the past 4/5 years lol - spray the wiper stalks! Had a good excuse as my screen is being replaced this week.

Wiper stalks by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Wiper stalks by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    just tape anything solid to the outside.

painting the wiper arms will be a massive improvement over the normal knackered looking jobbies.
    what front screen seal have you gone for OEM or universal?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    painting the wiper arms will be a massive improvement over the normal knackered looking jobbies.
    what front screen seal have you gone for OEM or universal?
    Ye the wiper arms have bugged me for years, I am having auto-windscreen's do the screen but I did ask about the trim and they said depending how old it is on there at the moment (the windscreen has been replaced before my ownership years ago) they will re-use it but more likely just use a universal seal. The car isn't a show winner as long as it looks clean jobs a good'un! I will take some pics once it's done though, hoping to crack on with rubbing down the bumper and rear overs this weekend

Rides
    Test fitted the bumper again:

S14a rear bumper and overfenders by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Now my new windscreen is fitted, whooop! Re-fitted the wiper arms too, much better.

New screen by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

New screen by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Spent Saturday getting the over fenders, skirts and rear bumper all rubbed down ready for primer so not long now and the car might actually all be one colour