Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Rides

BHP pics and tyre video

Here are a few cool pics from BHP, loads more to sort through! Plus my latest Youtube video dropped tonight, please if you enjoy it or learn anything give it a like and consider subscribing, it really does help, cheers.

Bhp fuelfest 2021 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Bhp fuelfest 2021 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    So still haven't had chance to look at my gearbox that blew up at the last zoyland day but I have had chance to make a little video, talked to lots of people about this at various drift days and thought why not make a video about it, some may not agree but hey, gives us something to talk about!

Rides
    Sadly I made a decision to sell the 14 ..... I was on the fence for a while about it but decided I could get a cheaper drift car and probably a fun daily for the money my 14 was worth so I've opted to go down the mx5 route.

Here's a little video showing 1 of the new toys, I might have bought 2 if allowed I would like to keep updating on here as will definitely still be doing track and drift days and probably make a lot of comparisons to the 14 along the way!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Carry on updating the thread mate

Seen that your old s14 is for sale again?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Carry on updating the thread mate

Seen that your old s14 is for sale again?
    Thanks mate

Ye I knew when Marcus was buying it he was just going to knick a few of the expensive bits like the skyline diff and shafts etc, swap in the stock set up and chuck another good gearbox in and flog it on. That was kind of why he had it because most people wouldn't have wanted to buy it with the broken box and me being quite an honest guy I would have wanted to fix up other little bits before I sold it to a random person. At the same time he got it for a steal tbh but that's allowed me to crack on, could well still have it on the drive now if I hadn't done it. Will miss the car though...

Did you get a top rad hose? I did find one but it had been cut down slightly probably 10-20mm from when I first moved the rad back to make way for the intercooler being high mounted. Your welcome to it if you do still need it.

Rides
    It looks very nice, good job

Rides
    So things have taken a turn... I've bought a second mx5 that makes boosty noises!

Needs a lot of work but paid accordingly-ish. It is currently 'road legal' so should be a bit of fun. Think I'm going to end up drifting it instead but am keeping both max and max 2.0 for the foreseeable, see what happens!

Rides
    So managed a bit of time on the mx5, first off I found a broken earth on the rear ppf/diff area so re-crimped the end on and fitted new bolt after having to undo the rounded bolt with a pair of molegrips 😅

Then fixed the wobbly turbo return fitting by taking it out, fitting some dowtey washers and re-tightening. Also replaced the return hose that was rubbing through

Then started looking at the exhaust, working from the back of the car forward, dropped the rear box off, removed the knackered heat shield. Then straightened and welded the left side hanger that was blowing, also re-welded the other 2 hangers as they didn't have that much holding them on and thought whilst I'm doing it...

Bent and blowing hanger:

Better:

Then the other side, before:

After:

They shouldn't pull off for a day or two! Then tried a small amount of polish I had laying about but unfortunately I need to come back to that another day when I've got some spare time, should come up nicely with a bit of elbow grease though.

Rides
    Thought I would add a quick video of my first drift day in the mx5, it's actually quite a good chassis so not as unhappy as I thought I might be with my decision to 'downgrade'. I've had to spend lots of hrs fixing up niggly bits but it lasted a full day of abuse in the sunshine and with some more lock and a few other bits done I reckon it won't be far off my old car in terms of pace and driftability...

Rides
    I've always fancied a turbo'd 5! Looks like good fun.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    I've always fancied a turbo'd 5! Looks like good fun.
    They are brilliant to be fair, just done my second drift day in it and its been pretty good, will get a video uploaded when I get 5 mins.