Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Rides
    Spent most of Saturday rubbing down/prepping the bodywork for primer, just before that though I wanted to make sure the fuel cap worked properly as it bugs me not having it on. I made up some spacers to bring it out flush, then cut and extended the latch so it clips over and unlocks/opens out when the cable is used inside.

Fuel cap and spacers by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I had also swapped out my old spacers for some slightly bigger ones but still might need more to properly fill the rear arches...

Last pic with the fuel cap and spacers all fitted up. Then pulled off the fenders, skirts and bumper and managed to rub them down and get them in primer by the end of the day

Rides
    Done a bit of a deal with the apprentice in the bodyshop, going to sort out some mechanical bits on his car if he paints my kit. Not expecting anything special but as long as it's close enough and all in one colour, I will be happy.

So now it's all in primer ready to rub back again, this was last weekend so been rubbing bits down as and when I get time!

In primer by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Also spent gave the truck a bit of tlc as its my daily, new rear prop bearing, alignment and a wash!

Landcruiser U/J by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Bit of routine maintenance this weekend, oil and filter, check levels and did a nut and bolt check! Normally I have to use the 4 post ramp as I can't get the car on a 2 post lift wit the kit on as it catches the legs so was good timing with my kit being painted.

IMG_20190309_113948 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20190309_114153 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

2019-03-10_05-54-30 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

You can see my oil cooler sandwich plate and my cusco engine mounts in this pic above, the sandwich plate does make it slightly more fiddly to undo/remove the filter but no major headache.

IMG_20190305_180131 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All done and ready to go, my kit is painted now too but due to it all being fibreglass we didn't want to bake it so had to leave it to air dry and hoping to fit it all this week.

IMG_20190309_145355 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Whilst I couldn't fit the kit over the weekend I thought why not have a play in my friends yard! Was fun clipping the cones although was a bit rusty on my first few laps, very slippery/dusty so had to feather the throttle a fair bit as you can hear. Love the turbo flutter and external wastegate noises!

Also bought a ticket for Driftcup 2019 whoop! I will be going to Three Sisters, never been there so hoping for a practice day before. Unfortunately all the tracks in Driftcup are minimum 5+ hours away from me so haven't been to any of them other than Teeside. I will have to be on it!

Rides
    3 sisters was completely resurfaced a while ago so is fairly consistent grip wise. I hope they run a different layout for the competition as the local guys would have a pretty big advantage over everyone else.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    3 sisters was completely resurfaced a while ago so is fairly consistent grip wise. I hope they run a different layout for the competition as the local guys would have a pretty big advantage over everyone else.
    That's good to hear about the surface but ye that's what i'm worried about, most of the tracks miles away from me I haven't been to and some of them run the same layouts so I will have to knuckle down on the practice day to get it dialed as best I can.

I am super happy now though as the car is all one colour, whoop!

Painted kit by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Painted kit by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

2019-03-16_08-40-50 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Been a bit busy as next competition round is coming up soon, swapped out the mild steel fixings I had for the body kit with some nice stainless headed screws:

Stainless fixings by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Re-fitted the Enkei's all round ready for MOT time, it passed one less thing to worry about before the first round of driftcup this year!

Ignore the window trims that is on the list of jobs to redo nicely. Put my rear enkei's back on all ready for MOT time, I prefer having the matching set on it, car also passed whoop

Now it just needs a few things doing ready for driftcup round 1, first job was to put some clear window film on the front windows, difficult showing the film on the window as it's clear lol. Was super cheap, less than a tenner for more than enough for the inside of both driver and passenger door windows. This is a safety feature brought into driftcup this year incase a window smashes it holds together.

Enkei's and film by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Enkei's and film by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Jobs over the next couple weeks are:
    Change my harnesses to wrap around the roll cage rather than clip in the seat belt mounts
    Fit bonnet pins/aero catches
    Buy fireproof helmet and boots

Rides
    So cracked on with the aerocatches last weekend.

Before:

Aero catches by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Found the best place for the pins is on the brackets that the headlights bolt to that then bolt to the slam panel. There are 2 rubber gromets you can remove and with a small amount of drilling the pins fit nice, then made a pattern to cut around as you need to be quite exact with the aerocatches for them to fit.

I also pulled off the Nissan badge as it had started to come loose after cutting out the latch in behind. Swapped out the black screws for stainless too, original black on the right and new fittings on the left.