Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Rides
    Also took the bonnet off ready to fit the second vent i've been meaning to fit for ages!

Lockdown at home by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Good time whilst the bonnet is off to make the cut-off switch pull brackets and cut the scuttle panel to fit around it. (these are now part of the regs for RDC etc)

Needs welding all the way around, only tacked it in as ran out of mig wire...

scuttle panel cut to fit

Rides

ARB bushes and alloy extinguisher lines

Hadn't touched the car for a few days, been working on the back garden etc with all the nice weather then remembered I still had some poly front ARB link bushes on the shelf, whipped the wheels off again and swapped the bushes over, still got the bonnet off to do the second vent so that will be the next job.

Front ARB link bushes by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I also got most of the alloy extinguisher lines in, just need to cut down the end and fit the last couple nozzles and jobs a good'un.

My race gloves turned up too! Decent quality, glad I spent a bit more on branded ones this season.

Rides
    Overdue an update! Done some welding to the inner wheel arch on the passenger side, finished up the cut offs, replaced a blowing wastegate gasket, fitted a turbo blanket plus more!

I have started video logging my track bike and the s14 drift car so here's a walk around of it including the first start up in about 6 months!

Please give it a like and subscribe as it helps with the sponsors etc. I need to improve for sure but this is quite a new thing to me. All comments and critics welcome

Last edited by drc; 02-07-2020 at 19:45.

Rides
    So not car related but also made a few videos of my fireblade track bike, got my first bike track day booked for a few weekends time!

Feel free to watch, like, criticise etc. I actually made this walk around video before the s14 one but I'm currently doing quite a few jobs on the bike whilst waiting for drift days to start properly again, probably have my next vlog which involves refitting the fork seals this weekend so keep an eye out:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    Overdue an update! Done some welding to the inner wheel arch on the passenger side, finished up the cut offs, replaced a blowing wastegate gasket, fitted a turbo blanket plus more!

I have started video logging my track bike and the s14 drift car so here's a walk around of it including the first start up in about 6 months!

Please give it a like and subscribe as it helps with the sponsors etc. I need to improve for sure but this is quite a new thing to me. All comments and critics welcome

Interesting watch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Interesting watch
    Thanks a lot, I still missed out a few bits but was already such a long video thought that was good enough lol.

Cheers

Rides
    Haven't updated for a while but looks like there will be just one round of RDC at Three Sisters this year and I've entered! Got a few small jobs to do including fitting another battery and adjusting the battery box to fit and then cars due a little service, hopefully a fresh alignment and a wash..... As you can see its been sat for a day or two in this pic!

Rdc prep by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Just in the middle of making a vlog of the RDC weekend but until then here's a few pics from the main man M.Hepper:

121332484_2716037305382937_1902688849397463926_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

121288326_2716983905288277_5719572726836313630_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

121478817_2716037678716233_2931894799519696211_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Here's the video log! Sorry if I seem a bit negative I was just annoyed at myself for not doing better! All comments welcome, as always if you give it a like and subscribe that helps a lot. Cheers

Rides
    Few more pics thanks to M.Hepper he's on Facebook and Instagram if anyone wants to see more....

The first one of me sat in the que shows the variation of cars and colours that turn up to competition days.

_GF26503-2-2 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

_GF26663-2-2 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

121491461_2717295971923737_5609485508296748840_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Sooo not much to update other than I have a practice day this weekend hooooray! Only thing I've done to the car is fit a thermostat controller for the rad fan (will test this weekend) and mess about with oil temp fittings which haven't quite gone how I've wanted so the gauge isn't reading correct. Will fix this for next year though!

The only other thing drifting related I've been doing is some virtual drifts on Assetto Corsa, got a bit carried away (addicted maybe?) and now have a triple screen set up and a decent wheel. It's great fun and hopefully half decent practice to at least keep my brain engaged in drifting when I've only done 1 event this year so far. Here's the video if anyone is interested. More than happy to help if someone wants something similar setting up and has questions or queries.

Rides
    Went to a local drift practice day this weekend, was really nice to just go to a chilled day, had a few bumps and crashes but was a brilliant laugh, tried to vlog it best I could so here's the outcome.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Saw the picture of you hitting the bank on Facebook, looked heavy. How bad was the damage in the end? See you were able to carry on.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    absolutely brilliant to see a recent s14 build coming together, bought our first s14 earlier in the year so have been watching this with interest
    The detail in this post is fantastic
    see you did the pigeon mod at some point, cant figure out when though, must have been early on
    how did you find the car's performance following that?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Saw the picture of you hitting the bank on Facebook, looked heavy. How bad was the damage in the end? See you were able to carry on.
    Ye typical the pap gets you with 2 wheels in the air good photo though eh! Ye luckily because of my high/mid mount intercooler set up it basically just bent the bonnet, front wings and broke a light, then when my mate spun and I went into him it broke the other light and finished off the bumper bar lol! My bumper coming off on the first lap was a blessing in disguise, otherwise it would have been much more ruined I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by sr20det1 View Post
    absolutely brilliant to see a recent s14 build coming together, bought our first s14 earlier in the year so have been watching this with interest
    The detail in this post is fantastic
    see you did the pigeon mod at some point, cant figure out when though, must have been early on
    how did you find the car's performance following that?
    Hi, thanks very much! Ye I ran a recirculating BOV for a while when I first bought the car but once I went to no BOV the throttle seemed much better to come back on boost especially mid-drift so kept it like that when I went top mount and never looked back. I think as long as you run the correct boost for your map and a long enough pipe between the MAF and the turbo you should be fine. Any questions feel free to ask away.
    Cheers

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That’s a result then mate, when I saw the wheels up I feared the worst for the car.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    That’s a result then mate, when I saw the wheels up I feared the worst for the car.
    In the car it didn't feel that bad but the photo looks like I got about a foot of air! Thanks for asking, I think unless I rolled the car or something crazy I will always just repair whatever needs doing and go again! Looks like you are enjoying your little track toy, part of me fancies getting into a really basic race series like an mx5 cup or something but I can't have any more toys at the minute lol.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good way to think about the car, it’s a tool for your hobby and you’re not afraid to use it

Yeah I’m liking the little track cars, never tried to complete an entire build so quickly (over winter) before though and it’s expensive

Mx5 cup would be a laugh tbh, that or something like Puma cup or city cup have to be the cheapest way to race but you’re still looking at a hefty price per season.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    Ye typical the pap gets you with 2 wheels in the air good photo though eh! Ye luckily because of my high/mid mount intercooler set up it basically just bent the bonnet, front wings and broke a light, then when my mate spun and I went into him it broke the other light and finished off the bumper bar lol! My bumper coming off on the first lap was a blessing in disguise, otherwise it would have been much more ruined I'm sure!

Hi, thanks very much! Ye I ran a recirculating BOV for a while when I first bought the car but once I went to no BOV the throttle seemed much better to come back on boost especially mid-drift so kept it like that when I went top mount and never looked back. I think as long as you run the correct boost for your map and a long enough pipe between the MAF and the turbo you should be fine. Any questions feel free to ask away.
    Cheers
    ah thanks mate, yeah was gonna give this a go soon

Rides
    Good way to think about the car, it’s a tool for your hobby and you’re not afraid to use it

Yeah I’m liking the little track cars, never tried to complete an entire build so quickly (over winter) before though and it’s expensive

Mx5 cup would be a laugh tbh, that or something like Puma cup or city cup have to be the cheapest way to race but you’re still looking at a hefty price per season.
    I use that exact reference when I try and explain to people that the car gets damaged then I fix it then the cycle continues, just a shiny blue tool, nowadays though they are worth a bit eh?! lol.

Ye when I enquired very loosely, the most basic mx5 cup you could pick an old mk1 ready to go with cage etc for about 5k then a season is about the same again including tyres etc which is similar to a year competing in drifting if running new tyres every round etc, it's definitely not cheap either way. Only thing was if you go and do a race you atleast get to do a full race most of the time whereas the drift comps being a knockout style you quite often if you make mistakes (as I did most rounds) don't get many battles etc and its a long way to go and do basically a short practice session then go home. That's a another discussion completely....