Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Rides

The road to competition in my s14a drift car

Hi,

Started a build thread on driftworks a few months back and thought I would put it up on here incase anyone is interested, there was an sxoc sticker on the car when I bought it so the owner might still be on here?! Anyway my name is Dan, 26 from the Southwest. I am not really massively into car show's and car park meets etc but I am pretty keen when it comes to drifting!

I will copy my other build thread over but will take a few posts to get it all up as I do ramble on a bit ha ha.

If this isn't allowed I apologise but I thought my thread will be all about drifting and the events I attend so this would be as good a place as any to put it up

Any comments and criticism's welcome. My instagram is @dan_the_drifter. Thanks

I was lucky enough to have been around jap cars from quite a young age as my dad imported a few whilst running his normal garage, unfortunately before I was old enough to drive he sold the garage and my parents moved away, I started renting and was then pretty skint from 18 onwards, thats a story for another day though. Once I had been in a couple supra's and skyline's especially as a teenager, I was hooked and I was always going to end up with something jap!

So I got to about 21 when insurance was affordable - ish and started looking for something, was torn between glanza's and s body's as they were quite similar in price at the time but as I couldn't skid the glanza and could only afford one, s body it would be! Was looking online for months as you do and along came a nice looking s14a not that far from me, so off I went to look at it. Drove up and met a nice bloke from Burnham on sea only a couple hrs from where I live and I new I was going to buy it after being there for about 2 mins as I could see this car had been well looked after, loads of stamps in the book up to 90k and the guy I bought it off seemed to have kept everything up to scratch and owned it for about 6-7 years.

27-04-13 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    30-04-13 05 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    30-04-13 04 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Here it is when I got it home, was on 116k if I remember rightly and fairly clean all over. At this point it just had a few bolt on mods and the body work and interior all stock, even came with the original optional extra sony stereo with cd changer in the boot! Mods were:

Blitz Air filter
    full custom exhaust with de-cat and hdev manifold
    apex coliovers
    Competition clutch
    lightweight prop
    subframe locking collars
    18" Dare alloys
    Front and rear strut braces
    Blitz boost gauge

At this point I was driving the car as my daily doing a 45 mile round trip and was loving it. Started to do a few small things, fitted an aftermarket re-circ valve, fitted a ball and spring dawes device and upped the boost to about 0.8 to 0.9 bar. Was fairly happy with the performance at this point and after meeting a friend with an s13 and going to a couple drift days I thought I would have a go myself.

ResizedImage_13701978574581 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    ResizedImage_13883415816281 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

These pics are my first ever attempt at drifting at Westonzoyland which is fairly local to me. The car was as above and still with the stock lsd and no lock mods or anything. After a few goes I noticed the diff was unlocking a lot and I was actually struggling to get the hang of it more than I thought. After another event (and driving my mate rich's s13 with a welded diff fitted which felt much better and easier to control) I decided that's what I needed. Managed to get a s13 manual diff and welded that up. Gave me a slightly better ratio as went from the stock 3.7 to the manual s13 3.9.

Rich's s13 diff 1 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    Rich's s13 diff welded by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

So I done another drift day and then added some small rack washers and ground down the lock stops a bit.

IMG00056-20140412-1751 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

This was now noticeably better and I actually started to enjoy drifting the car. Probably a year later and after I done a couple more drift days I thought the lock and amount of turns of the wheel were holding me back, I was throwing the steering wheel around like crazy every time I transitioned! So I bought a fairly old set (which I am still using now) of modded knuckles, these are stock knuckles that had psm adaptors welded on, got these cleaned up and painted and away I went! Chucked on a nice omp steering wheel and steering was lots nicer

DSC_0004 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0006 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0008 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0009 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    10922561_1378805679090011_2659635577454705743_n by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

What a difference, anyone who has read this far and is just starting out take note that once you have the basics down upgrading the knuckles is a night and day difference! Much quicker steering and easier to transition as the ackerman change stops the outside wheel from dragging and slowing you down! This seemed to make the car 'click' for me. Probably one of my favourite times owning the car as I was still driving it to work and back but as I was only running the hubs on the first of the 2 settings on the hub I could use the stock length rack ends etc and the car was pretty well planted and still fairly usable day to day as i still had the full leather interior and stereo with cd changer etc.

I will add the rest soon as possible but a bit slow as have to re-link every photo!

Thanks for reading, Dan

Rides
    Looks like a nice s14 mate! Interesting about the modified knuckles, I've been finding it pretty far to spin as well. Any idea where you can get these?

Rides
    So I started doing a few more events, drove up to pembrey in south wales to the go kart drift track day. Had a few light taps on track to the front end and noticed my gearstick was moving around quite a lot, this led to me replacing a few more parts such as poly bushing the front tension rods, fitting smoked sidelights and replacing the gearbox mount with a db power one - still running all these bits on the car now lol!

10390450_10152432222856460_4687312750536324170_n by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

This picture above is with my mate Rich who I actually met off the driftworks forum! His car is all caged up now but unfortunately he doesn't get the time to use it quite as much as he would like. I'm hoping to get him back into it again soon though as he's a very good driver

Poly bushed gearbox mount and tension rods:

IMG00066-20140517-1032 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00070-20140705-1328 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

On my drive home I noticed the car was starting to whistle on the motorway and found the standard side mount intercooler was leaking, so I decided I wanted to do a high mount set up to keep it from getting damaged! This took much longer than I expected by the time I cut out all the front panel to fit the intercooler etc. Probably took me a good 2-3 months to get it how I wanted as I kept having to put it back together with a very crude link pipe whilst I was still driving the car steadily every day!

IMG00083-20140816-0952 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00086-20140816-1355 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00094-20140830-0957 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00096-20140906-1120 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00097-20140906-1611 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

After this I quite soon fitted a japspeed radiator as the stock one was leaking, upgraded to 555 injectors and an hdev 2a mapped ecu. Was pretty impressed with how much more aggressive the power came on with the new set up and the boost turned up to about 1.1 bar.

IMG00132-20141231-0902 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG00133-20141231-1201 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0263 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    14-05-16 1 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Bit more time went on and decided I needed a daily tow truck, I had done my trailer license at a previous job so off I went looking for 4x4's. Found a half decent Nissan Terrano close to home and went for it. Was a bit of come down from driving the 200 every day but if I wanted to do more bigger events it had to be done. First event I trailered my car to was a pembrey weekender, here is a video, great fun, quite tight little track:

My tinted sidelights fitted and some 3 spoke wheels bought off a mate plus I had the front washer jets smoothed and painted, parked next to my dad's merc:

DSC_0082 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I also decided when I got back I needed a bit more lock/aggresive steering so made a basic jig and cut and extended my lower arms 25mm, added offset rack spacers to stop any bind and moved the track rod end mounting into the second hole on the knuckles which was for faster turning/more lock.

DSC_0393 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0395 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0405 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0406 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0407 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0411 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0412 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0415 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0418 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

You can see in this photo I then had to shave down a part of the knuckle if not the track rod end would bind against it! I also had to grind down the inner arch lip to make room for the extra lock available. I bought some enkei wheels and painted them which made the car look much better! Offset rack spacers fitted and marking up what I needed to grind down with the extra lock.

DSC_0422 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Aligned my car at work:

DSC_0483 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Me and a few mates then booked up the Anglesey weekender, my gf came with me for the 6-7hr drive up from Devon. Long way but worth it for the epic track time!

DSC_0486 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All was going well until mid morning first day on the small track and I managed to hit the great big tyres placed on the edge of the track 2/3 times, by lunch time the car was looking a bit sorry for itself. Wasn't too impressed by these as it basically ruined my drivers door and both my rear quarters. Other than the superficial damage and melting a spark plug (fuel pump was dieing) the weekend was still awesome!

14976322_936439486462851_7238914347992908616_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    15129405_948493015257498_4718235939172792982_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    15193549_954602774646522_486115057103960060_n by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbothemagnificent View Post
    Looks like a nice s14 mate! Interesting about the modified knuckles, I've been finding it pretty far to spin as well. Any idea where you can get these?
    The psm adaptors arn't sold any more and already welded ones are pretty hard to get hold of now, don't think that many kits were sold but there are quite a few company's you can buy chopped knuckles off of which are just as good. Or if you have a few more quid to spend a set of geomasters or psm knuckles give you the roll centre correction and lots of other little tweaks. Feel free to pm me if your unsure of what to buy I will be updating the post more over the next couple days but it's getting late now

Rides
    Some on board footage, feel free to like and subscribe to my channel I put up a video of most events I go to now.

A lot of 3rd gear drifting and managing to do a bit in 4th gear for the last corner, feels fast!

Some pics of me repairing the car over a good few months, sorted myself a second hand door and did most of the prep work myself then got someone to paint it!

DSC_0502 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0505 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0518 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0522 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0524 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0556 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0558 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0563 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0594 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

After it had been sprayed and having it's first wash, also bought some rear spats and fitted/painted them the same time.

DSC_0646 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    DSC_0650 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

After getting the car back together I didn't do much for a couple months as had enough of working on it! Next drifting I did was 1 day of the rockingham matsuri on the sunday. Was wet but good fun, the infield is quite hard to link in the dry especially with under 300hp so I didn't mind too much.

17359003_1357648357627120_1054056770803912667_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

My mate Dave following me who is on this forum as well, some pics:

17310927_1357650014293621_4568848369770808997_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    17218776_1398358366892491_7350917104114919895_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Car made it back in one piece

IMG_20170317_135547 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I have a video of this one too but will add to my next post as can only add one video per post

That same weekend driftcup was on plus they had the night battles in the evening which was fun to watch! Was cool seeing the driftcup cars and people competing, made me want to get a bit more serious with my car and i decided I needed to get it up to spec for possibly some basic competition.

Rides
    I like the fact you have started from the bottom and worked your way up. Tried it, found something lacking, changed a part, measured the difference and went again.

Good stuff.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I’m sure I recognise this car, take it you go to smeatharp drift days?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    think I was at anglesea when you dented the side of the car.

rockingham can be done in a sub 300hp S-body in the dry you just have to be very committed,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I’m sure I recognise this car, take it you go to smeatharp drift days?
    Ye I have been to quite a lot of smeatharpe drift days over the past 3/4 years. Went to the last one in July, had a really good day! I will update with some video's as I catch up with the thread. Were you there at the last smeatharpe day?

Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    I like the fact you have started from the bottom and worked your way up. Tried it, found something lacking, changed a part, measured the difference and went again.

Good stuff.
    Thanks, to be fair looking back I probably should have sold mine as a clean example and bought a full spec drift car but i've enjoyed improving things as I go and I know the car pretty well now

Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13
    think I was at anglesea when you dented the side of the car.

rockingham can be done in a sub 300hp S-body in the dry you just have to be very committed,
    Ah really, did you get any damage to your car? Hated them tractor tyres!!! Ye I have done the infield since in the dry, wasn't saying it's not doable just it's easier in the wet to link as some of the corners are quite long.

Here's the video from that wet drift day, skip to about 20 seconds for the start of the track following my mate Dave into the first corner.

So ye bought another rolling shell that had a cage in, decided to strip it all out to put in mine as the shell had seen quite a lot of use but looking back I should have kept the cage in there and built up that car! Then Spent the longest amount of time I have ever spent doing one job on my car, stripped the interior, welded in all the cage plates (up to bdc spec) cut and welded the door bars so they unbolt if I ever have to take the cage out again. Then finally painting and fitting it, I think it paid off though and other than cracking the windscreen and somehow breaking the rev counter from when removing/re-fitting i was happy with the outcome.

Here is the other shell/cage:

IMG_20170524_185324 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

My car half stripped:

IMG_20170620_212949 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Getting the cage in to check the fit, for probably the 5th or 6th time. Think by the end I could get it in and out in about half hour if everything was loose! Luckily a friend of mine said I could use his workshop and as I am pretty handy with the welder i could crack on and get all that done fairly quickly.

IMG_20170624_181843 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170624_181853 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Started to knock out the sound deadning, surprising how much is in a 14 and how much it weighs!

IMG_20170624_134351 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170624_133529 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170624_183230 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170625_114358 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170625_115933 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170626_133926 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170627_133939 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170701_145237 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Started to tack the door bars in:

IMG_20170708_125338 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170708_132414 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr
    IMG_20170708_140912 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Painted in my back garden:

IMG_20170812_165209 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

This takes me up until august 2017, more to come!

Rides
    Looking good mate, nice to see a drift build! Thought I recognised your car from Smeatharpe. Interesting what you say about the knuckles, a few people have said the same so next upgrade for me I think!

Reminds me I really need to update mine... Mine has lived a similar story, used and kept mint for 6 or so years, recently I've got more and more into drifting and just having fun in it.
    Last edited by Davus200; 14-09-2018 at 07:29.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Looking good mate, nice to see a drift build! Thought I recognised your car from Smeatharpe. Interesting what you say about the knuckles, a few people have said the same so next upgrade for me I think!

Reminds me I really need to update mine... Mine has lived a similar story, used and kept mint for 6 or so years, recently I've got more and more into drifting and just having fun in it.
    Ha ha I know it takes ages to update build thread with pics etc, ah cool well if your not that far from me your welcome to come drive mine you will notice the quicker steering literally just driving it down the road. Send me a pm if it's easier

So ye went to another rockingham infield day a few months later, this time towed the car up and back in one day which I don't think I will do again as absolutely knackered when I got back. Didn't stay for the whole day as was a bit worried about time getting home as had work the next day so hampered the day for me but still I know for next time.

Here is a couple pics and a short video, it was very hot and dry and I definitely struggled more than I did the time before when it was wet, you can hear the engine is straining/loaded up pretty hard when i'm transitioning, looking back I should have stuck much more psi in the rear tyres and gone in a bit more committed!

IMG_20170828_125047 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Got sin binned for my slight dirt drop as well which was a bit harsh!

Youtube photo 200sx rockingham by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Had a few things I now wanted to change on the car before this year, firstly I wanted to go external wastegate as I had been finding even with an uprated actuator the stock t28 would creep under load and not have the same boost run after run, I wanted to hopefully run a similar size turbo due to the map on the car. I also wanted to sort out an oil cooler as noticed my oil temps were getting quite hot and had to do a few cool down runs between every couple laps at that last event but it was a bloody hot day! Lastly i wanted to sort some sort of body kit out ideally a different set of skirts to start as i'm not entirely happy with how the car looks.

I then went on the hunt for turbo and manifold options. Managed to find a cast top mount manifold for a good price, it was a log type which I wasn't original looking for but decided to go for it so I wouldn't have to worry about cracking them, i had already welded up my stainless hdev manifold once before! Around the same time I bought a second hand pe1420 turbo off a guy on driftworks. I had checked the specs and from what I could find online etc the turbo could flow just a bit more than a t28 but with just as good if not better spool similar o a t28r, i was hoping this combined with the short running manifold would give me a pretty responsive set up.

Once I got the manifold through i realised it was a T3 and the pe1420 turbo was T2, luckily I don't mind a bit of fabrication, I spend quite a bit of time at work welding shock mounts and rear chassis on landy's and 4x4's etc so decided after checking clearance from clocking the turbo that cutting off the old flange and welding on a T3 flange would be the best option. I wanted to weld up the wastegate actuator at the same time too.

This is how it looked with the t28 and hdev manifold bottom mounted, I had also got the rocker cover and strut brace ends painted the same colour as the car and moved the battery to the boot just after fitting the cage:

IMG_20170904_190515 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Here I've marked up the flange and also decided to chop the actuator arm off whilst i'm at it as I was worried it would be close to the rocker cover.

IMG_20170810_170804 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Here it is after the grinder met the turbo and then the new T3 mild steel flange was tacked on

IMG_20170810_172457 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170810_172505 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Tacking the flange on using the new manifold to hold it in place square

IMG_20170810_183318 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170810_183340 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Then welded it and quickly peened it as cast can crack very easy, I got the correct amount of heat and cool down time and luckily it was all ok no cracks

IMG_20170816_134328 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170816_134335 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170816_135418 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170816_135428 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the old manifold/turbo removed and then the broken or knackered studs replaced where needed:

IMG_20170907_184816 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Manifold and external gate fitted:

IMG_20170908_184044 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

My HEL oil cooler turned up with an extra length of hose incase I changed where I mount it in the future:

IMG_20170909_094556 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Mocking up and clocking the intake housing, it is a very tight fit with the bend that comes past the p/s reservoir! New Oil lines showed here too

IMG_20170909_115859 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170909_134128 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

At the same time decided to ditch the abs pump and replace with copper brake pipe, easy job to be fair, I had been driving it with the fuse pulled for about a year now anyway so was good to free up the extra space especially as i was going to need to modify the exhaust downpipe for the top mount.

IMG_20170909_152200 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

mocking up the intake pipe:

IMG_20170910_171403 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Good read. Never realised you’ve done so many little jobs on it.
    Still one of my favourite 14’s

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboywill View Post
    Good read. Never realised you’ve done so many little jobs on it.
    Still one of my favourite 14’s
    Thanks mate, ye done a fair bit over the time i've had it just some of it can't be seen from the outside! I am jealous of your s13 but I could never keep my car that clean ha ha! See you got your van tyres sorted, catch up soon

Back to the car, here was the stock elbow, cut the flange off and flipped it. I then made the downpipe with what I had hanging around, some 70mm tube.

IMG_20170914_133225 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170914_134025 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170920_131722 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170920_131734 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170921_131815 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I was in a bit of a rush as wanted to take a friend out in the car who was coming back from Australia in a couple weeks and I hadn't seen him for about 6 years! I do remake the lower half of the downpipe in the future but will come to that later.

So had to cut and spin the screamer pipe as it wouldn't fit, started out like this, my stock t28 is in the background.

IMG_20170922_185513 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170922_185945 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20170926_183138 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Then had a go with a mates TIG, had only done a small amount before but came out ok, I am mainly a MIG man though.

IMG_20170926_184127 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

And this is how it all looked after getting it back together for the first time, I had also had a go with the TIG to make the intercooler pipes. Oil cooler wasn't fitted yet:

IMG_20170926_190121 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

So managed to get it all up and running and checked for any leaks etc, first time I drove it up the road I was surprised how punchy the boost was and how loud the screamer is! All you can hear when you come on boost. I loved it though, and managed to take my mate out before he went back to Aus!

At this point i still had the 0.8bar external wastegate spring with the dawes valve fitted to up the boost to just over a bar. I drove around a small amount and done a local drift day, Westonzoyland, which I hadn't been back to for about 2/3 years since I started drifting. Here's a little on board video from my mate Ryan's car following me:

I was finding the boost wasn't quite holding as strong as i was hoping until it was loaded up, swapped the wastegate spring from the 0.8bar it came with to an uprated 1bar then upped it to 1.1bar with the dawes valve. Now it was boosting how I wanted! Power felt good, came on boost and held it there with only a slight fluctuation as the vvt kicked in but that is as expected. Either way the car pulls well considering it's probably only around 280/290hp.

At this point I was still running the 3.9 s13 diff i welded ages ago and the s14 shafts the car came with. A couple other guys were talking about changing to skyline set ups with a 4.1 as they were running around 350hp plus and they had both either broken or had a shaft become slack/noisy. I am not expecting to run that power for a while but did fancy having the gears closer together. Searched around for a bit and ended up buying a 4.3 ratio auto skyline diff, then bought some matching 5x1 shafts and solid front diff bushes from JDM garage. Sold my old diff/shaft set up to a mate with a r32 4 door who's welds had broke up inside his diff.

Drove the car with the new diff, was like I had gained 25/30hp. Car had instant power, would probably only top out around 135/140mph now but never going to get to that on track so who cares! If i'm honest after going in my mates who has the 4.1 manual skyline diff I would say mine is actually a little too much but for the power that I have it works well so will be keeping it how it is for the moment.

Around the same time I also poly bushed the rear subframe and lower arms. Used some driftworks bushes and superpro lower arm ones. Started doing this on my drive in the snow! You can see the skyline diff in these pics and my hardrace toe and camber arms.

IMG_20180304_150614 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180304_154853 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180304_163529 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180315_223441 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180317_124357 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180317_124412 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Whilst I was under the car decided this was a good time to upgrade the rest of the exhaust, the previous owner had a custom exhaust made but was only a 2 1/4" system which was fine when it was running lower boost on the stock ecu but I thought it could do with being able to breath a bit better now. Bought a used hks backbox off a mate, 3" resonator and some 3" tube and went about pulling the exhaust off and working out where i wanted the v bands. Didn't take me too long, probably a week of evenings and then tacking it at home and welding it fully at work on my lunch breaks.

Here is the old non mandrel bent powerflow or similar generic exhaust:

IMG_20171125_160738 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Start of the downpipe section:

IMG_20171121_132719 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Centre section:

IMG_20171124_131350 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20171125_154945 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180319_181504 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180319_181511 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180319_181411 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    I then decided I really wanted some different skirts as the look of the car has never quite been how I wanted since I've owned it. Found some red genuine chargespeed skirts that seemed ok. Rubbed them down and gave them a spray myself. Did use a gun but I am no sprayer so used solvent basecoat and lacquer. I was happy enough with the results other than a bloody fly walking all over one skirt and getting stuck in it lol.

IMG_20171208_132232 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Couple coats of primer:

IMG_20171209_160157 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Base coat:

IMG_20171209_162235 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Couple more coats and then the lacquer:

IMG_20171209_180844 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Bloody FLY!!!

IMG_20171209_180853 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Got them on the car, had my 3 spokes on for the first pic as was getting my enkei's painted:

IMG_20171221_130045 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20171229_132418 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Wheels painted and tyres re-fitted :

IMG_20180106_100441 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180109_131604 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180109_133022 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Literally straight after they were re-fitted on the car:

IMG_20180110_135041 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Few weeks later:

IMG_20180114_131533 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180114_131554 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180204_165908 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Got it aligned at my work, pulled the spats off and sold them as I was looking at other rear bumpers too!

IMG_20180324_121339 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

A picture of my cracked windscreen but also shows the dash I fitted from the other shell I bought:

IMG_20180402_132241 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Fitted a rear jacking bar as the exhaust being bigger than before and closer to the diff made it awkward to get a jack under it properly, will probably make a complete rear bumper bar set up once I get another rear bumper:

IMG_20180502_184602 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

This brings me up to about Feb/March time this year.

Rides
    In the last pic I had been laying our new block paving in the drive, still had the edges to cut which is an absolute pain in the ass and slowed me down working on the car. Pretty messy and time consuming cutting every individual block with a disc cutter!

Anyways back on topic, I had tried to get a driftcup round by round ticket and/or a full season ticket at the start of the year with no luck, they literally sell out in a couple seconds as there are only very few available.

I then put my name forward on the reserve list as soon as I could, I messaged the organiser throughout the year and he told me after the first 2 rounds I was close to getting a spot as people would move up to bdc etc etc. I decided to book a rockingham outer paddock practice day as never done one and this would be where the next round would be held (if I got a place), I had only previously done the infield/matsuri days.

Changed the intake pipe between the filter and turbo and also the top radiator hose before I went, I had also fitted the oil cooler by now, didn't want it somewhere it was going to get hit but also wanted it in the best air flow as possible! I decided to cut up the passenger front inner wing area and slotted it down through, it has decent air flow here but would need quite a big hit to do any damage so happy with that for the minute.

IMG_20180417_134832 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180417_134858 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20171218_132533 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I managed to book the outer paddock day the same time as my mates stag do in oxford but luckily his do was on the Saturday and Sunday and the drifting was the Monday, asked him and he said i could leave the car on the trailer at his then go from oxford to rockingham after our night out! As it's a couple hrs closer than coming from Devon it all worked out ok.

IMG_20180507_081007 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

So got there on the bank holiday Monday, was on my own and didn't know anyone, was pretty chilled day but was going out mainly doing single runs. In the afternoon I managed to get some decent twinning with a nice bloke called Axel, who drives a lush rb s14 and is on the Driven oils stand (he is in one of the pics below and he is chasing me in the video at the bottom of this post). I was happy with the polybushed rear end, top mount set up and now the cooler oil temps!

IMG_20180507_104612 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

31956620_2015999928727377_87325008774299648_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

31961406_2016004088726961_5825697943851630592_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

31598583_435414900215192_2413386357490581504_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Really like this picture above, the sideskirts definitely look better than the stock touring ones imo. Sorry for the camera being a bit low in this video, first time I had stuck it on my helmet but you get the idea! You can hear I definitely know when the car is hitting full boost as the screamer is loud! I love it though.

I forgot to mention but somewhere around the end of last year i also swapped the offset rack spacers for an actual modified front subframe, the offset rack spacers seemed to twist the rack a bit, you could see it when doing side to side with the wheel/tyre if you have the front lifted off the ground. For the money though the spacers are a good bang for buck mod and I didn't have any problems with them coming loose or anything like some others.

I also replaced the engine mounts with a pair of cusco poly bushed ones before the outer paddock day above. A warning to anyone who buys these, they are very stiff, great that the engine hardly moves and driveline movement is helped too but the dash does try to nearly jump out the car every time you start it

Rides
    I was lucky enough to the be offered a place at round 3 of driftcup at rockingham. This was good timing as my mate was back from Australia so he came up for the journey too. Got there the night before and met a few people for a burger at spoons, got to track and unloaded the car, had the briefing etc. Only problem was the track layout was different to the one I done the month before in the post above and I only had 3 hrs to get it right! I tried my best to learn it but by the time I came to qualifying I still didn't have the entry to the first corner nailed.

First qualifying run thought to myself I have to go for it! I went in too hot just washed out wide and spun, ahhhh no! I was now really nervous for my second run, couldn't spin again so went in a bit more tentative but this meant I was shallow to the first two clips which was the main scoring criteria. Ended up in 40th out of however many i think maybe 55ish drivers, that was the end of my day. Did stay and watch for a bit and was great to see the battles in person.

Here is a video of my qualifying run:

Got back from rd3 a bit annoyed at myself for firstly letting my nerves get to me and secondly not being able to learn the track in the practice time. I also had my eyes opened to just how good the level of driving! I was pleased I went and most of the people I met were friendly and helpful. I was keen to have another go.

Got offered a rd4 place so jumped at the chance! This time it was at Teesside Autodrome a track I had never been to. Luckily I didn't do any damage to the car at rd3 so just had to change tyres, do a general check over and standard oil/filter change that I do every couple drift days to keep the old sr going! I have been driving the car with the same engine/gearbox as when i bought it so a bit of preventative maintenance seems to be going a long way.

My mate Dave with the green s14 a few posts up also got a place and this would be his first competition. We booked in for the practice day on the saturday to try and get the track somewhat dialed. Drove up friday which took us about 8 hrs with traffic, stops for food/fuel. Stayed over nearby ready for an early start saturday. Got there and had our briefing etc and it was a very chilled atmosphere, you would have no idea there was going to be a comp the next day, everyone was taking there time and enjoying it.

Weather was hot, i don't currently have a fan cowling due to my high mount intercooler set up which meant I moved the rad back closer to the engine etc. I wired in an electric fan on a switch before I left so when i'm sat in the que and after I finished a run I could flick it on, never really had any overheating problems since I fitted the oil cooler but did notice that with the lack of run off after doing 2/3 laps in a row at rd3 of rockingham the temps did go up a little, it was a very hot day and it was pretty dry/dusty at rockingham so probably just me being picky but I would rather be safe than sorry. The extra fan worked spot on, temps kept fine throughout the weekend at Teesside.

All was going well for me and Dave until after lunch on the saturday practice, Dave went out on some fresh part worns and he did say to me before we left "keep a bit of distance". I forgot that the second we got on the start line and followed him in pretty hot into the first corner, for anyone that doesn't know it's a big cambered corner that you enter about 70/80mph, I threw the car in about a car length behind him and halfway around the corner Dave spun, we were cracking on at a decent pace in 3rd gear still so as much as I tried to avoid him with his car staring at me nose on I hit him with my passenger rear quarter. Was a bit of a bang, looked over and gave him the thumbs up hoping he was all ok and other than lots of fibreglass and bits of Daves bodywork I thought all was good, that was until I looked into my passenger mirror and could see my rear wheel was poking the wrong direction, ahhhh not good!

Back in the pits and after both having a few mins to take in what we had just done we cracked on, Dave bent his bonnet straight and fixed up as much of his body work as he could, no mechanical damage for him though. I then set to work looking at my rear wheel, I could see straight away the rear traction arm was bent and after looking a bit harder the actual hub itself was bent in at the toe arm mount, luckily someone in the pits had a spare traction arm and using the adjustment on my hardrace toe and camber arms I got the wheel looking as straight as I could. It also dented the quarter in but left it until the end of the day to push it out incase something similar happened again.

Back of my car:

2018-08-10_07-34-43 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

About an hr later:

2018-08-10_07-35-47 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

And Dave's car after he straightened it out, he is the best bumper cable tie repair man in the business

2018-08-10_07-37-05 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Couple runs later and the cars are still going, think I had dirt dropped a bit as the side of the car is covered in dust ha ha:

2018-08-10_07-38-18 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

So we went out for the last couple hours and to be honest the car felt it had a bit of a wobble when first initiating but actually felt better than I thought so I was happy enough. Dave said his was ok other than a slight rattle that was his air filter bracket had broken from our collision. Done a few more runs and called it a day. Went back to the hotel and sat in the swimming pool to chill out and mull over the days events!

Rides
    So onto Sunday, had another briefing, practised for a few hrs which honestly didn't feel like long. Me and Dave were in the que for one last run but they turned everyone around about 11:55 ready to set everything up for qualifying so back we went ready to que up for our qualifying runs!

Here is a video of my 2nd qualifying run which managed to get me the last qualifying spot in 32nd place:

Rides
    Unfortunately Dave got 34th spot but for his first comp he done bloody well! The level of driving again was super high. I was now soo excited that I had qualified, went to que back up for my first ever battle which seemed like ages, I was a bit nervous but felt I had nothing to loose as I was battling no.1 qualifier Danny Whyman who is currently 3rd in the championship so expected him to show me how it was done (he did!).

Done my best chasing but his car pulls very well and I let off for probably half a second as I initiated and that was it, Danny was gone, tried to catch him but there was over a car lengths gap, I then kept to the qualifying line as best I could to score as high as I could. We went back to the start line for me to lead this time, I pinned it as fast as I could, threw the car in and halfway through the first corner I felt a decent bump, he was on my door! As we slowed down for the second corner he bumped me a few more times, I was absolutely loving it and even though he obviously had the win I was just happy to have had an awesome battle and was super pumped at the end of it.

Here's the footage, check out my drivers side wing mirror when i'm leading, you can see Danny is on me!

So after that battle I had a few more battle scars, some paint removed from my wheel and a dent on the drivers rear quarter, more things to repair over the next few months!

IMG_20180716_153821 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180716_154022 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

I left the car strapped down on the trailer as I was taking it to our local Dakota drag and drift day the next weekend, it's only about 45mins away and i've been there loads of times. I pushed out as much of the rear quarters as I could with a rubber mallet before the weekend but otherwise car was still the same as Teesside and the rear knuckle still bent lol.

Track is always the same, cones spaced out on a pretty rough concrete surface but it's fast enough to get 3rd gear and there is no major obstacles to damage the car, winner! This is good though as we are allowed out 4 at a time which means we can get a bit of twinning practice in.

Will put some pics and a video up in the next post.

Rides
    Video and pics from that last smeatharpe drift day:

2018-08-23_10-49-05 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

37845975_1429755727124692_5175370136378408960_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

37843728_1429729550460643_865915838379589632_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

37815648_1429756283791303_3123008009551216640_o by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Now I had a bit of time on my hands after doing 2 back to back weekends drifting I had some jobs to do, first things first was to swap out my bent rear knuckle with my spare ones. I had spent my lunch times burning out the stock bushes and then fitted more driftworks poly bushes. Bolted them onto the car and also swapped out the bush from the bent traction arm into the one that was now on the car.

You can see how the toe arm mount is bent in this pic below especially if you look at the angle of the stock bush/mount against the angle of the arm, I'm quite amazed it bent the hub and then the toe arm seems to be in perfectly ok condition and didn't bend at all?!

IMG_20180904_193005 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180904_203013 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_133154 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_134039 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All fitted up, looking a bit better!

IMG_20180911_151410 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Also finally got the ms-style rear bumper sprayed and fitted too, pretty happy with how it looks you can see I've started to repair the driver side rear quarter from my collision with Danny at driftcup rd4, think I am probably going to go for over-fenders very soon as the passenger side arch near the side skirt is going to be hard to pull out enough to get a decent shape....

IMG_20180922_111858 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180823_214858_494 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Rides
    Have been busy over the past few weeks, bought myself another truck, a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon. Should be good for the long distance towing next year especially if I do a full season of driftcup which I am hoping for! Used it for it's first towing duties by delivering the spare shell I had to it's new owner. Truck pulls like a train so had no problems there.

IMG_20181014_120633 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Decided I wanted to make a more substantial bumper bar so if I do take a hit it will bend the bar before doing too much damage to the body. Started off by cutting the bottom of the rear quarters off and tacking in new plates to keep the strength in the panel and give me a solid backing when I fit the over fenders in the future.

IMG_20180823_175619 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180824_172453 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180824_174319 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180824_174610 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180828_135732 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

There was a bit of rust in the lower quarter pockets where all the 200's go so killed 2 birds with 1 stone as they say! Then made a template out of cardboard and cut out the basic outline. Then cut it to a more exact fit and tacked it in.

IMG_20180928_120337 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180928_120610 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180928_131254 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180928_152901 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180928_152922 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180928_154938 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180929_110947 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

IMG_20180929_115856 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Welded in and sealed, just need to give it a coat of hamerite to keep the rust at bay. Now gives me a line to follow for the bumper bar which will be the next job. Bought myself a cheap tube bender so once I've had a go with it will make a decent tube frame behind the bumper.