Thread: R8 coilpack conversion, worth it? Where to buy?

Rides

R8 coilpack conversion, worth it? Where to buy?

So basically I’ve been considering upgrading to R8 coilpacks, mine are fine I think however they’re obviously old. I’m just wondering what are the actual benefits of upgrading? Apart from the obviously cheaper price per coil... I’m running an Apexi Power FC ECU and I’m hoping to get mapped to 350-400bhp, should I stick with stock coils or upgrade? Also where’s the best place to buy the loom? I’ve been looking at this one;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273380310599

Thanks in advance✌️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Main reason people do this is for reliability. The old coil packs are a 20 year old design and are weak compared to the VAG ones. The R8 ones are rated at something like 300bhp per cylinder.

You can make the Loom yourself if you are handy with a solder iron. The plugs are easy to get on eBay, I bought the ones with pig tails. Use your old loom and add an earth.

See my build thread for details.

Also the VAG coils are cheap and easy to replace.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Main reason people do this is for reliability. The old coil packs are a 20 year old design and are weak compared to the VAG ones. The R8 ones are rated at something like 300bhp per cylinder.

You can make the Loom yourself if you are handy with a solder iron. The plugs are easy to get on eBay, I bought the ones with pig tails. Use your old loom and add an earth.

See my build thread for details.

Also the VAG coils are cheap and easy to replace.

Alright then matey, i am an electrician but soldering isn’t my strong point, however I’m keen to give it a go I’ll have a look at what you’ve done, have you got a link to your thread at all?

Rides

Rides
    Thanks man! Nice thread✌️

Rides
    personally prefer crimp joins over solder due to the vibration on the engine but I guess it’s personaly prefereance really

If your a sparky use red through crimps and cut off the outer plastic after it’s crimped and use shrink sleeve it gives a smoother looking loom

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    personally prefer crimp joins over solder due to the vibration on the engine but I guess it’s personaly prefereance really

If your a sparky use red through crimps and cut off the outer plastic after it’s crimped and use shrink sleeve it gives a smoother looking loom
    Yeah I prefer crimps, that’s what I’ll do, cheers buddy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoles View Post
    Thanks man! Nice thread

Thanks bud. I found it hard as there were bits of bobs of info in diff places, so thought I would make it easier for people.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post

Hence I used pig tailed connectors. Soldered the wires

Rides

R8 coilpack conversion, worth it? Where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Thanks bud. I found it hard as there were bits of bobs of info in diff places, so thought I would make it easier for people.

Good thinking dude, top man

Rides
    Apparently Audi TT coils are the ones to go for, exactly the same coil just a little shorter so you can get the coil pack cover on afterwards. i've also seen people cut the rubber (boot?) on the TT coils and slide it down so that it fits into the rocker cover hole nicely.

And regarding solder or crimps, it's proven that crimp joining cables is the way to go as soldered cables break over time due to being too rigid and with vibration (I sat through a few boring training videos years ago), barrel crimps are the best option imo as theyre oem nissan looking and easy to work with. Saying that, I still solder haha.

Rides
    can you get the male connectors of the PTU unit? I would prefer to just make a smaller sub-loom to replace it rather than butcher one up.

can you get the coilpack loom plug so I could just make a complete loom from scratch?

are there any preferred aftermarket brands for VAG coils?

Rides
    Here is a guy, who is popular in the facebook ca18det group. http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...Have-your-vote!
    As far as I remember the 115R coils are the best ones.

Rides
    Sumitomo don't make the connectors anymore but there are companies out there (mainly alibaba but in bulk) that do produce copies.

Finjector are the only place (apart from alibaba) i've found that sell the male 6 pin connector, but connectors arent cheap especially with their delivery http://www.finjector.com/verkkokaupp...-p-489601-175/

OEM VAG coils are perfectly fine and theyre pretty cheap anyways. I have copies from a local parts motor factors in my car and its perfectly fine, has been running them for well over two years and dyno'd etc.

Rides
    I think it’s hard to make a loom from scratch as the stuff is hard to get I managed to pick up a spare coil loom and ignited chip to butcher as the chip is really simple to gut so it stays plug and play

I think the igniters or on aliexpress for like 20 quid so aslong as there the same design I’m sure they could be used as it saves crimping the coil loom straight to the engine harness

Rides
    Oh and I got a set of Bosch coils for just over 60 quid new

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m17ch View Post
    Here is a guy, who is popular in the facebook ca18det group. http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...Have-your-vote!
    As far as I remember the 115R coils are the best ones.
    Ken is still around?