Thread: Good map Vs bad map

Rides

Good map Vs bad map

What constitutes a bad one vs a good one?

So what I’m getting at is the map I’m using is good on fuel, around 15.6-16.0 on idle pretty much 14.7 AFR on cruise and absolutely bang on 11.5 on WOT so out of these what could make it a good or bad map or it’s a lot more complex that just the above?
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 26-08-2018 at 11:12.

Rides

Good map Vs bad map

The numbers are only what's safe and what gives good power but I imagine a lot would be to do with feel when driving the car

Rides
    basically who ever you take it to too get it mapped will say the map is rubbish if its not one they have put on. so the game is to get them to remap a car they have previously done and watch them slag off their own map.

but I think some maps can be a lot more crude than others.

Rides
    Ambient temperatures and humidity, location the car was mapped in relation to sea level, cam and ignition timing, change in spark plug heat range
    change in oil grade or range used, quality and ron rating of fuel (they are not all the same)
    tbh any change of bolt on's air filter/intake pipe plenum camshafts and/or verniers or exhaust parts (for example)
    there is more but they are just some major factors on a mapped car and variables on the map it is given or set to,
    in an ideal world we would have four or five maps and switch between ,or ultimately constantly fine tune at the race track on the day
    in short a mapped car is never going to stay in perfect tune as miles and time ticks by

Rides
    Ok...Having experiences the same map on two different cars with more or less same mods (one being top mount and mine being bottom mount) the biggest difference I can see is the boost controller set up makes the biggest difference. We both have the same controller except I’ve spent time setting mine up whereas the other is fairly generic and th difference is very different.

Rides
    Bad map = A big "reputable" tuning shop dropping on a base map and only tweaking it on the rollers when the car's on boost therefore leaving the car driving like a bag of sh!t around town and on idle and ripping your head off on boost. Then being told it's because the car's so heavily modified (lie) but they can look at it for more money.

Good map = Taking it to Martin Battye (MB Automotive) where he shows you the sh!t job said reputable company have done and then sets the car up to drive better than it did from the factory. Smooth as silk and nice and progressive. Been perfect for nigh on ten years years now. Uses less fuel too. The bad map was rich as F. Meant it drank fuel, smoked and covered the rear of the car in oily vapour.
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 01-09-2018 at 11:13.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Smooth as silk and nice and progressive. Been perfect for nigh on ten years years now.
    Same here

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Same here
    Where is mb automotive based??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    Ok...Having experiences the same map on two different cars with more or less same mods (one being top mount and mine being bottom mount) the biggest difference I can see is the boost controller set up makes the biggest difference. We both have the same controller except I’ve spent time setting mine up whereas the other is fairly generic and th difference is very different.

that's your answer really the properly set up EBC boost control will make the car drive very differently V's a bleed valve.manual boost control,
    sort of like one has an ok map (bleed valve of sorts) and other is much better to drive off boost and throughout the rev range
    (less lag/on boost earlier/more responsive/holds peak boost bang on etc)
    like they have different maps as they will perform/drive very differently
    edit see both are EBC ,Still would be the factor if ones just controlling boost,and other is set up
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 30-08-2018 at 17:06. Reason: missed both were EBC