Thread: Tire size same all round?

Rides

Tire size same all round?

Just wondering, since I am considering to make a time attack car of my S14a, why are so many people (including myself) running wider wheels on the rear.? Just for the looks? Does this also actually aid driving? I know the S14 chassis are prone to oversteer, so could this be a reason? From factory the car comes with same tire /wheel size all round. Would it benefit my driving if I keep same tire and wheel size all round?

I have a wide body in the rear, but I'm fitting 9.5 ET10 there with 245 or 255s.
    It depends what I can clear on the front, where I also want to put a 9.5 ET10. I know it will be a tight fit, but I am just really wondering if I can fit 245 or 255s there. Perhaps need role the arches a bit....
    Anyone fitted 9.5J ET10 with 245/255 on the stock front fenders before?

Also what would you guys consider for Nurburgring car? Michelin Super Sport or Michelin Sport Cup2? Or perhaps something totally different?

Rides
    There is someone on here who runs 265 tyres all round so it could be down to preference

Rides
    I’d see it more of a tuning aid it just another thing you can change to suit your driving style

Rides
    I am considering 245/40/18 all round for my 18x10 et 10 (with spacers) wheels. I know they aren't the right rolling radius but I am done with skinny tyres

Rides
    Modern car manufacturers stagger tyre widths with wider at the rear on rwd cars to make the cars 'safer' for the poorer drivers, as less mechanical grip at the front, in theory, makes the car more likely to understeer. This is a very basic explanation anyway and obviously suspension setup, geometry, drivetrain comes into it massively also.
    Generally if you look at more serious rwd track cars, they are often running the same size all round (just look at most track focused E46 M3's at the ring etc. running square setups)

A lot of it does come down to preference though, and can be used to tune the feeling of the car, as autosri said. I'd personally say give it a go, if you like how it drives then stick with it, as I much preferred my car with wider front tyres (although still slightly smaller than the rear at 235(225 before) and 255) as I liked the increased front grip