Thread: RB25DET NEO Rebuild!!!

Rides

RB25DET NEO Rebuild!!!

Hi Guys,

I Purchased my Nissan S13 with a rb25det neo conversion off a member from this forum 7 months ago. But it had a lot of problems with the wiring loom so i had it transported to RB Motorsport to get fixed and checked over. when i went to pick the car up they told me that the wrong dipstick had been used for the car meaning that the wrong amount of oil was in the engine (too Little). They figured this out when the car had not taken enough oil but the dipstick read as perfect. 2 weeks after this when i was driving slowly letting the car warm up i get a slapping/knocking noise from the engine, i shut it down straight away and got i towed home where it has been sat the last 4 months. I think the bottom end bearing has gone but not 100% but nerveless i need a engine rebuild. I have RB Motorsport and DY Engines in mind as they are who i feel are the best from the research i have done. do any of you have any other recommendations for who i should get my engine rebuilt with as i have never had this done before. any answers are appreciated!

Thanks

Rides
    You sure the bottom end has gone??
    Usually you get a knocking sound similar to a diesel engine when you rev the engine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    You sure the bottom end has gone??
    Usually you get a knocking sound similar to a diesel engine when you rev the engine.
    Hi,

Thanks for replying! yes i was driving at a constant speed when all of a sudden the noise happened, it is very loud and will get quicker or slower with the revs. I did try and start it 10 minutes after it happened and although it did start it didn't sound like it wanted to! I had driven the car 20 odd times before this and it never made any knocking noises.

Thanks

Rides
    Could it just be a dead/stuck lifter ?is it defiantly coming from the bottom end ?

Rides
    drain the oil into a clean container and see if it is full of gold coloured glitter. if it is then you have killed a bottom end bearing.
    but a knocking bottom end is a pretty distinctive sound.

my friend matt chidley was selling a NEO det the other week might be worth giving him a message on facebook to see if he still has it.

both DY and RB are respected engine builders, slide might also be able to rebuild it. call them up and have a chat.

Rides
    Could have spun a bearing, but usually there's some pre-warning before a catastrophic engine failure, you are normally able to hear the bottom end knocking for a while before it really go's tits up.

Little bit odd it's gone from fine to broken in an instant, definitely worth figuring out what has happened before pulling the engine.

Rides

RB25DET NEO Rebuild!!!

Believe it not, there was no noise coming from this before it died!

That was an rb25 neo that had been built by scholar engineering. Seems they have a good rep, but didn’t know what they were doing with this. When adjusting the solid lifters they machined the buckets instead of the shims...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Drifter; 19-08-2018 at 06:02.

Rides
    Thanks! I will drain the oil and let you know how it comes out like. My mechanic mate has had a listen and he said it was bottom end straight away so I am just going off that but it is a metal on metal noise. I will message Matt thanks for letting me know!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Believe it not, there was no noise coming from this before it died!

That was an rb25 neo that had been built by scholar engineering. Seems they have a good rep, but didn’t know what they were doing with this. When adjusting the solid lifters they machined the buckets instead of the shims...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm hoping its not this bad as the engine still runs roughly, just makes the horrible banging noise. looks like I might give scholar a miss then and just go to either RB Motorsport or DY Engines. thanks for the information its much appreciated!