Thread: How many budget car recommendation threads can there be?

Rides

How many budget car recommendation threads can there be?

Need help from the sxoc collective please.
    Looking for a replacement car for the wife for her daily.
    Her criteria, something that's quite high up that has a nice(ish) interior and will seat 4 people (including driver) comfortably.
    My criteria, not an mpv.
    Budget is around £3k, needs to be petrol (short stop/start journeys), not worried about economy as fuel is covered by her work, and I would want it to be automatic (so I can borrow it when I'm feeling lazy).
    So far, the shortlist isn't very long:
    Nissan Murano
    Honda Accord Type-R (fully aware that it's manual and isn't high up, but if I'm paying for it, tough)
    VW Phaeton (can't believe they are available at this price and this was thrown in by Matt - slip'n_slide)

Please feel free to throw in suggestions and if anyone has had (or knows stuff) about the Murano or Phaeton, please give opinions and pros and cons.
    Not worried about the Accord Type-R as very familiar with them.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    These sound like cars you want, not the wife , if you don’t mind me saying. Have you looked at things like C-Max? Or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Hmm, kind of agree with Ash... Golf Plus 1.4 TSI DSG?

Rides
    Errrrrrr, they might be.
    Basically, the auto thing is handy for me when my knee plays up and it would need to be something that could be suitable for me to use for work as well (I have a company car, but that doesn't get changed for another 18 months so got a manual until then).
    I know the Accord doesn't fit the criteria, but I really like them and as the boss (wife) is a honda fangirl, she does like them.
    C-Max is a no as she doesn't like them at all and I would kind of need to keep her happy as she would be the main user.
    Have looked at Honda CR-V's as she likes them.

Rides
    The idea of something decent sized would mean that I could also get rid of my auto barge that I use at the weekends as well (she has 2 cars and I have 3 including the company car).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pea View Post
    Her criteria, something that's quite high up that has a nice(ish) interior and will seat 4 people (including driver) comfortably.
    My criteria, not an mpv.
    She wants an SUV mate, chances are she wants a Juke.

Get her to show you a picture of the kinda car she wants, even money says it's some gutless SUV/cross-over type thing.

Rides
    I'm hoping that a Juke won't be practical enough as it would need to have big enough boot space for a wheelchair and shopping.
    Her current car is a 9-3 tid estate (my old work car), but a diesel is no good now due to the short journeys.
    Ideally it would have a similar sized boot so the dog can go in it as well (but not necessary as we have my car for that which is also an estate).
    Should really have been a bit more specific, but she's a care worker and she has to take clients shopping and the Saab can be a bit of a struggle for some of her clients.
    The murano is actually the perfect height for the seats to just get in and out, but couldn't get anything higher than that.
    CR-V's, Qashqui, etc are all good heights as well, but she doesn't like the Qashqui and the budget won't allow for the newer ones she does like.

Last edited by mr_pea; 15-08-2018 at 16:31.

Rides
    The Phaeton will bankrupt you every time it goes wrong

I have just bought a Cherokee, quite roomy, you sit high up and they come with a 3.7 Auto

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=1
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    nissan cube, cheap, practical, auto and cool AF