Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth pushing for more bhp

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Matt- I believe I have the same dilemma as you. Currently my 200 is HD Stage 3a (gt2871r .64 = 350bhp) with all supporting mods (tein, brembos etc) was fine for a while but I have a M140i which is faster and puts its power to the road so much better- that's progress for you.

As my 200 is not my daily it needs to be faster!! I have always wanted to get 400bhp from my SR20, even more so now most standard v.hot hatches push over 300 to 400bhp. All the guys have made valid suggestions to get to a safe 400. Speaking with HD they suggest Pomcams, springs and mapping to get me 380 to near 400. No mention of head gasket. I will call them again to see if this is a necessity as I use my 200 very little, every now and again, so don't want to spend more than I have to (over the amount already spent to get where it is!).

Hope you get to the magic number soon too.
    I spoke to Horsham a month or so ago just after posting this tbh they said go for hks cams and bc springs I asked about a head gasket he said to leave it alone in case they find your head already warped when replacing for a uprated one he also said your be on borrowed time lol so I guess anything over 350bhp will ultimately need a forged engine either that or your in for a rebuild at some point in time.
    I’m surprised the 140i is quicker would love to see a 350bhp s body go at it on wow cars YouTube channel on the quarter mile against the 140i m,rs3,focus rs etc specially from a 50mph roll on I bet the s body would hold its own.anyway in two minds weather to sell the car now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I was in two minds but there isn't anything which for same reasonable money that could substitute for it. I suppose it depends what you after, I still enjoy getting into the 200 and driving it, so I will be keeping it for a while- just feel the need to crank it up to 400 to stay ahead or at least with the younger machinery but then again I don't want to blow the engine, so will speak with hd again.

I would also like to see a vid of a sorted 350bhp 200 v M140i. Only been out in each one separately. The bmw runs 4.6 sec to 60, 3.0 6 pot with turbo= lots of torque so minimal lag- my observations are it just pulls and pulls and it can put the power down efficiently. The 200 can't launch as well but when rolling it pulls strong but is it as strong on full boost as BM? Think BM currently has it.
    Last edited by screaminsilvia1; 16-10-2018 at 18:07.

Rides
    What about a more modern turbo (gtx) to bring the power in sooner but keep it around the 350 mark it would feel much more punchy down low but not stress the engine a huge amount more

Rides
    autosri- haven't thought about this option as only bought the turbo a few years ago (max 4k miles). Which GTX would be a good match for 200 and ? Is there any power graphs on this turbo fitted to a sr20?

Rides
    HD RR results on 3a

Rides
    Looking at it the torque is a little low- peak torque at 5k, and bhp at 6.3k

Rides
    what would a gtx graph look like?

Rides

Here’s my graph on a bespoke map not much difference really and to be honest the car dosent feel laggy at all so god knows what a gtx is like or a Borg Warner efr range

Rides
    Screaminsilvia1 here’s your bhp per tonne on your 200 and your bmw but like you said if the bmw launches better and is modern technology

Rides
    Matt - interesting tool- had a little play. 200 seems to have better power to weight as the BM is over 200kg heavier- not sure why it is so heavy its only a little 1 series!!

Rides
    - 300bhp/tonne

Rides
    Matt - interesting tool- had a little play. 200 seems to have better power to weight as the BM is over 200kg heavier- not sure why it is so heavy its only a little 1 series!!
    That last pic is my bhp per tonne yours is actually 277bhp, look up the Audi rs3 your find the 200 is better but Audi’s got that launch control to a tee but like I said would love to see a 50mph roll on with all these cars.
    I notice most of the modern hot hatches weigh 1500kg I guess it’s all the modern safety measures??

Rides
    300 per ton is decent. This could be the new safe target. How to get there- reduce weight and/or up the power. Don't want to fully strip it, want back seats for my son. Already have carbon bonnet and bootlid. Removed everything else I could without sacrificing civility such as CD changer, aerial, jack, rear wiper, spare wheel etc, so only way is to up the power.

Rides
    300 per ton is decent. This could be the new safe target. How to get there- reduce weight and/or up the power. Don't want to fully strip it, want back seats for my son. Already have carbon bonnet and bootlid. Removed everything else I could without sacrificing civility such as CD changer, aerial, jack, rear wiper, spare wheel etc, so only way is to up the power.
    If you went 400hp your end up with 317bhp per tonne that’s up with all these cars lol f430 Audi R8 ha ha

Rides
    Lots of exotic cars listed, quite a few legends- would be happy to have similar power to weight to any of these cars. Obviously power to weight is one thing - how the power is put down and how it handles in reality is another. Can only dream......

Rides
    That and the gearbox shitting itself!! Power to weight is key but like you said if you haven’t got sticky tyres on 235+ width rims and a decent lsd with coilovers to stop the arse dragging on the floor then there’s no point running big power

Rides
    My just under 300hp S14a did a quarter in 13 dead at 112 or so mph, the 140i is prob going to go a bit quicker at maybe 12.8 and the same terminal speed or there abouts.
    So a real 350 bhp s14 with proper grip should be much quicker than the BM assuming it can put it down, when i rebuilt mine although i didnt have another chance to run the strip the late 300s it then had felt like going back in time when the big pedal was used.

Rides
    Matt- I agree chassis and drive train set up is very important. Mine has all been uprated/upgraded and I believe it is fine to handle more power. As you and everyone has stated- its the standard gearbox and engine which are the weakest link. In the quest for more reliable power - How much will it cost to go forged bottom end and alternative stronger gearbox? Would it work out more economical to do a transplant within an inherently stronger engine like 1JZ or similar?

Rides
    Lot of arsing around with engine swaps, custom this and fitting that.

I would prob just do the head gasket, studs and ras kit as mentioned above... definitally do the rocker arm stuff though cos i killed my SR with a 7k full power launch and traction controlled... incident The horror show is in here in the archives somewhere.

I wouldn't bother with anything past that power wise, it gets stupidly costly and what?? 380 ish is not slow... it will mince most things out there.

Rides
    One thing I would definitely recommend, if you haven't already, is fitting an S15 helical diff with a 3.9 or 4.1 ratio, makes a massive difference for comparatively small outlay.