Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth pushing for more bhp

Rides

Is it worth pushing for more bhp

Ive been thinking for a while and don’t know weather to or not push for more hp
    Currently as the car sits it’s at 346hp and pretty much as much as you would want to push before upgrading the head gasket(quote from jez at Horsham and Dave at garage 21).
    Don’t get me wrong the car goes like stink but I’ve got the urge for more but my question to you guys is pushing 400hp worth it?
    I don’t mind chipping away and collecting bits over winter here’s what’s on the car at the moment any advice on parts would be great ta

Apw manifold and 3inch exhaust system
    R35 maf
    Act s/street clutch and flywheel
    Gt2871r currently at 1.2 bar
    Deatschwerks 740cc injectors
    Apex front mount
    Horsham daughter board map

I know obviously the map will need a change is it worth getting Horsham to do another custom daughter board, buy a nistune or go standalone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    You will be getting to the limit for the internals and gearbox at 400bhp so you will need to consider forged pistons, connecting rods and possibly some stuff in the head. You will need to upgrade the gearbox to prob a skyline or 350z gearbox to take to torque.

I think your turbo will be at its limit at that bhp aswell but not sure.

I don't know much about the mapping side of things

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks Johnny,
    In my head I was hoping just to get away with
    uprated head gasket,studs n bolts
    Tomei cams
    Bit of head squish blueprinting work(recommend by garage 21)
    Mapping

But in reality I’m guessing forged internals is a must??

I’ve just had the gearbox pulled apart and bearings changed etc etc so I may see that out to the bitter end

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Head gasket, studs and map should see you at 380sh. How long it lasts will depend on the condition of your engine.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Head gasket, studs and map should see you at 380sh. How long it lasts will depend on the condition of your engine.
    Cheers Chris Engines in good health and low ish on 57k
    Is it worth chucking in a set of cams and springs with it?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Poncams could be worth it, don’t think these need new springs. You’ll need to get new rocker arms for the cams too and if you go for springs you may find the valve guides need work although less likely with those miles.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Poncams could be worth it, don’t think these need new springs. You’ll need to get new rocker arms for the cams too and if you go for springs you may find the valve guides need work although less likely with those miles.
    Do the cams make a big difference Chris?does it make idle crap?your running 400hp aren’t you what’s it like living with and driving?

Rides
    IMO, no, it's not worth it. I'd always take a well built and balanced 300 bhp over a toppy 400bhp car that has power but no finesse.

What are the brakes like? How updated is the suspension?

Rides
    I'm running

550cc injectors
    Gt2871r
    Fmic
    Z32 maf
    Full 3inch exhaust and manifold
    Power FC engine management
    Updated clutch, no idea what
    Standard internals and standard head

I've got a reliable 350bhp and 380 ft lb and was a daily driver for 3 years and frequently driven hard with NO issues at all and was a hell of a lot of fun.

Rides

Is it worth pushing for more bhp

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    IMO, no, it's not worth it. I'd always take a well built and balanced 300 bhp over a toppy 400bhp car that has power but no finesse.

This really isn’t the case. GT2871 0.64 with poncams and a tomei manifold with 380/400 here and it’s so bloody drivable. Epic mid range torque but revs out amazingly too. Can just be turned on and driven normally no idle issue at all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post

It’s on apex adjustable coilovers
    Front brakes are evo 8 brembos on 320mm discs
    Rear brakes are standard but looking to upgrade and I also want to poly bush it up

I know what you mean power isn’t everything but With all these modern hot hatches punching over 300hp it’s nice to be able to keep up and show them up

Rides
    Thanks for your figures Johnny and Sean
    I literally do 2k tops mileage wise in the car a year and it’s only a Sunday toy and it’s good to know running at the top end of power figures for the sr it’s still reliable
    so I think I’m more persuaded to collect parts over winter and get her cranked up some more.
    What’s the best engine management to use?
    Power fc, nistune or Horsham daughter board?(obviously the daughter board is going to be cheapest)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    Thanks for your figures Johnny and Sean
    I literally do 2k tops mileage wise in the car a year and it’s only a Sunday toy and it’s good to know running at the top end of power figures for the sr it’s still reliable
    so I think I’m more persuaded to collect parts over winter and get her cranked up some more.
    What’s the best engine management to use?
    Power fc, nistune or Horsham daughter board?(obviously the daughter board is going to be cheapest)

Personally I’m on a PFC and it’s brilliant. It’s old tech by today’s standards so worth checking prices first. Some tuners do ECU + mapping deals that may not work out to much more

Rides
    Ive only known the power FC but I think it's great.

Rides
    Matt- I believe I have the same dilemma as you. Currently my 200 is HD Stage 3a (gt2871r .64 = 350bhp) with all supporting mods (tein, brembos etc) was fine for a while but I have a M140i which is faster and puts its power to the road so much better- that's progress for you.

As my 200 is not my daily it needs to be faster!! I have always wanted to get 400bhp from my SR20, even more so now most standard v.hot hatches push over 300 to 400bhp. All the guys have made valid suggestions to get to a safe 400. Speaking with HD they suggest Pomcams, springs and mapping to get me 380 to near 400. No mention of head gasket. I will call them again to see if this is a necessity as I use my 200 very little, every now and again, so don't want to spend more than I have to (over the amount already spent to get where it is!).

Hope you get to the magic number soon too.

Rides
    Do it for shits and giggles if you've got the spare cash, but don't throw all your savings into it expecting a 20 year old SR20 to last at 400hp without a rebuild or a fcuked gearbox.

These cars are loads of fun when they're going fast, trust me

Rides
    Link G4 if you want to do it properly.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Matt- I believe I have the same dilemma as you. Currently my 200 is HD Stage 3a (gt2871r .64 = 350bhp) with all supporting mods (tein, brembos etc) was fine for a while but I have a M140i which is faster and puts its power to the road so much better- that's progress for you.

As my 200 is not my daily it needs to be faster!! I have always wanted to get 400bhp from my SR20, even more so now most standard v.hot hatches push over 300 to 400bhp. All the guys have made valid suggestions to get to a safe 400. Speaking with HD they suggest Pomcams, springs and mapping to get me 380 to near 400. No mention of head gasket. I will call them again to see if this is a necessity as I use my 200 very little, every now and again, so don't want to spend more than I have to (over the amount already spent to get where it is!).

Hope you get to the magic number soon too.
    Have you had the car on a rolling road to confirm those numbers? Mine ran 330bhp on the hd chip, got them to custom map it later on with 260 procams and 740cc injectors to 360 low/380 high.

I’m now running a forged engine with link ecu with the same cam/injector/turbo set up at 420 high boost.

In your situation I’d go for a better ecu, 740cc injectors and get a good custom map on it somewhere.

Rides
    Chris- yes Jez installed the turbo, HKS manifold, Nismo 555 injectors and 3a chip and put it on the rollers a couple of years ago. Solid 350.9 Bhp. AFR was good on generic 3a map. Was very happy but now would like more ��

I’ll speak with Hd again to confirm way forward.

Rides
    Imho not worth it unless your wanting to do drag racing or something.
    A 350 hp s14 is a rapid thing, its not really all that heavy and goes like stink - i would concentrate on handling and grip, especially on acceleration now as thats prob going to make the car quicker than adding another 30hp or so.