Thread: Which discs and pads? Where to buy?

Rides

Which discs and pads? Where to buy?

So after dragging a rusty s14a out of a garage where it sat and rusted for 3 years, it’s now coming to the end of the welding, insured and soon ready for the road, when I drove it there’s a mad scraping noise coming from the back end, discs and pads are obviously rusty and I’m guessing shot? Slowing down from 30mph the front end literally wobbles too? Anyway, I’m looking for new discs and pads and hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a bargain as budget is tight, however I’ll spend what needs to be spent. Running roughly 310-330bhp, road use, weekend toy, doubt it’ll see a track, any suggestions?

Here’s a pic of the car, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    If you're on a budget the Eicher stuff from Euro car parts is pretty good for the money, or go for QH. If it's been stood for 3 years there's a good chance the calipers will have seized pistons too.

Rides
    As said above, make sure the pistons are moving. As you start using the brakes and the rust gets scraped off you may find the wobble disappears. Mine did after about 200 miles of proper use.

For brake parts, I've found brakeparts.co.uk to be good value for disks, pads and some caliper rebuild kits.

biggred are also good for caliper rebuild kits.

Rides
    Thanks chaps, I have a friend in Euro car parts so will be seeing him later on today, the car should be ready this weekend so I might try just pads in there and clean up the callipers, as the discs were apparently new just months before it come off the road, and they’re drilled and grooved. funnily enough only recently rebuilt my buddy’s callipers so I’ve had a bit of practice, if they do need rebuilding.

Rides
    Good luck with the car looks nice bet your looking forward to finally driving it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    Good luck with the car looks nice bet your looking forward to finally driving it

Thanks buddy! Yeah I can’t wait any longer, insurance starts this Friday so hoping to be on road that day, going to buy a membership soon so I can share the progress on here

Rides
    Please don't get eicher. I've stopped using them on my customers cars because they're terrible. They're squel and squaek and don't last long at all. Personally, if it was me, on a budget, id get pagid, or mintex off eBay

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by davejames33 View Post
    Please don't get eicher. I've stopped using them on my customers cars because they're terrible. They're squel and squaek and don't last long at all. Personally, if it was me, on a budget, id get pagid, or mintex off eBay

Would agree with you used both on my commute cars over the years and I’m sure pagid make a sport pad too if I remember??euro car parts

Rides

Okay fair enough, thanks for that. Ever heard of MTEC? Here’s ones I’ve been looking at, they say they can supply mintex pads too? So MTEC discs and mintex pads?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F120373659881

Rides
    So pads wise, I can get pagid front and back for £45 all in, or brembo pads for £51 all in, which would you go for?

Rides
    Pagid all day long, Brembo pads are terrible. The discs are fine, the pads just squeak like no-ones business.

Are you sure your discs are mullered?? Could just pop the wheels off and wire-wheel them down?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Pagid all day long, Brembo pads are terrible. The discs are fine, the pads just squeak like no-ones business.

Are you sure your discs are mullered?? Could just pop the wheels off and wire-wheel them down?
    Okay then mate thanks for that, I’m sure they were new just a couple months before it was parked up and left so I’m going to try and save them for sure mate, try new pads in there first and like you say try clean them up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoles View Post
    Okay fair enough, thanks for that. Ever heard of MTEC? Here’s ones I’ve been looking at, they say they can supply mintex pads too? So MTEC discs and mintex pads?

That whole kit will work fine tbf. Good price too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoles View Post
    Okay then mate thanks for that, I’m sure they were new just a couple months before it was parked up and left so I’m going to try and save them for sure mate, try new pads in there first and like you say try clean them up

Don't bother putting new pads in unless they are badly worn. They are probably just hardened and glazed. Just take the pads out rub them down on a piece of coarse emery paper laid flat on something solid e.g. concrete or a wooden board until they look like pads look like when they are new.

If you then bed them in, they will clean the disks up quicker.

Also, if you have wheel shake, clean up the faces between hub and disk and disk and wheel and tighten the wheel nuts up properly finger tight before dropping the car on its wheels and tightening up with a torque wrench.

Rides

I've used them on loads of cars and never had any problems. Never used them on track, but they're ok for road use on a budget.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Don't bother putting new pads in unless they are badly worn. They are probably just hardened and glazed. Just take the pads out rub them down on a piece of coarse emery paper laid flat on something solid e.g. concrete or a wooden board until they look like pads look like when they are new.

If you then bed them in, they will clean the disks up quicker.

Also, if you have wheel shake, clean up the faces between hub and disk and disk and wheel and tighten the wheel nuts up properly finger tight before dropping the car on its wheels and tightening up with a torque wrench.
    Alright then bud, I’ll give that a try, hopefully fixes the issue, thanks a lot for the help

Rides
    So had to buy new discs and pads in the end, got a cracking deal and went for MTEC discs with Mintex pads, bought direct from MTEC, who I must say were extremely helpful, got me a next day delivery for a Saturday even though I ordered at 4pm on Friday, the discs and pads are also great quality, they’re on the car and work very well, highly recommend! Here’s the link in case anyone wants them.

Rides
    That looks a very good deal!

I just did my rears just now. Blue print discs from the local motor factor just a smidge over £40 and pads from ECP. I got EBC yellow for £57 quid.

Have to say, Rear discs are quite hard to find.

Make sure you grease up the slid pins at the rear. One of mine was seized up. That's after 5 years (last time I serviced the rear brakes).

Just need to adjust the handbrake now when I get time.

Was it hard to rebuild the calipers? I think mine will need doing by the next time. The boots on them got all twisted up and torn. I ended up ripping them out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Photo evidence

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    That looks a very good deal!

I just did my rears just now. Blue print discs from the local motor factor just a smidge over £40 and pads from ECP. I got EBC yellow for £57 quid.

Have to say, Rear discs are quite hard to find.

Make sure you grease up the slid pins at the rear. One of mine was seized up. That's after 5 years (last time I serviced the rear brakes).

Just need to adjust the handbrake now when I get time.

Was it hard to rebuild the calipers? I think mine will need doing by the next time. The boots on them got all twisted up and torn. I ended up ripping them out

Was a great deal dude, still working great, really happy with them. Rebuilding callipers was easy, my friend actually done it and he has no mechanical experience or knowledge at all, and he done a really good job to be fair. Deffo worth doing, noticed his brakes feel much smoother, more responsive and less sticky