Thread: Gearbox rebuild

Rides

Gearbox rebuild

Can anyone recommend anywhere good to get a gearbox rebuilt and give me an idea of cost?

I have got a couple of quotes at around a £1000 and I’m not sure if I have unrealistic expectations but it seems a little steep to me.

Or on the other hand if anyone has a guaranteed good 5 speed manual SR box they are willing to sell then I could be interested.

Cheers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleyo View Post
    Can anyone recommend anywhere good to get a gearbox rebuilt and give me an idea of cost?

I have got a couple of quotes at around a £1000 and I’m not sure if I have unrealistic expectations but it seems a little steep to me.

Or on the other hand if anyone has a guaranteed good 5 speed manual SR box they are willing to sell then I could be interested.

Cheers.
    £1000 ain’t too bad but depends what needs replacing mate as gears and shafts etc can be expensive.put it this way I just paid £600 for a gearbox strip with just input shaft bearing,act clutch release bearing,gaskets set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    What’s up with yours? Could buy 3-4 sr boxes for 1k if it was spending that much I’d want to spend a bit more and upgrade it
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    What’s up with yours? Could buy 3-4 sr boxes for 1k if it was spending that much I’d want to spend a bit more and upgrade it
    Started by getting stuck in 5th gear, got it out and was fine for a few days, then had a whine when the clutch pedal was released so went along the route of a new clutch release bearing.

When replacing my clutch and draining the box oil there was loads of metal swarf and now after doing about 150 with fresh oil the box is noisier than ever and is definitely not healthy.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Every time I’ve removed the magnetic sump plug from an sr box it’s been fury. 100% sure it’s not still a bad bearing etc. What oil did you use?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Every time I’ve removed the magnetic sump plug from an sr box it’s been fury. 100% sure it’s not still a bad bearing etc. What oil did you use?
    Personally I would say it was excessive swarf, the plug was covered in it and the oil looks like metal flake paint, it’s literally metallic

I can’t remember exactly what type off the top of my head but it was nissan stuff and a part number that I found on here.

Rides
    I used Bristol Transmissions when mine bit the dust. Ended up around the £1k mark but that was a few syncros and a new input shaft and a clutch.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisw View Post
    I used Bristol Transmissions when mine bit the dust. Ended up around the £1k mark but that was a few syncros and a new input shaft and a clutch.

Tried ringing them and all I got was a really unnecessarily rude woman on the phone and to be told that they don’t get involved with those gearbox’s!

Rides
    That’s just weird! Sorry about that mate!