Thread: What’s the best sounding exhaust out there??

Rides

What’s the best sounding exhaust out there??

I’m after a new rear silencer for my s14a it’s currently got a japspeed one on but it’s gotta be 5 inch’s wide on the tip and I ain’t to keen on it.
    so what the best sounding ones out there not to noisy and not to quite either?does anyone make titanium ones?? Cars currently got 3inch system from manifold back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    They'll all sound like someone farting into a bucket if it's got a massive tip on a 3" system.

You won't really know how a system will sound till you fit it and have a listen, but what are you wanting?

Rides
    HKS Hi-Power 409 is a decent sounding exhaust

Rides
    Depends on what u want? Loud nur spec, not loud HKS Silent. Then everything in between I guess. Depends if you want quality too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thats like asking what STD is the easiest to deal with.
    They are all a bit shite, sounding like loud tinny farts because the SR going through a puffer is never going to be a great singer.

Rides
    You could always modify the current box, cut the huge tip off and fit a better size.
    Having a slight downturn reduces the noise a fair bit too.

This Rex is running a similar setup

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Depends on what u want? Loud nur spec, not loud HKS Silent. Then everything in between I guess. Depends if you want quality too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I’m ideally after a titanium one if they make it for the s14’s as the sound is more raspy going on the bikes I’ve had over the years from stainless vs titanium, like I say this japspeed one that is on it looks to big don’t get me wrong it sounds ok for a sr but just looks dog shite

Rides
    Hks do a titanium back box

Rides
    Tomei do the Expreme Ti exhaust, pretty pricey though.

https://frsport.com/tomei-440012-exp...0sx-s14-silvia

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by james2404 View Post
    Tomei do the Expreme Ti exhaust, pretty pricey though.

https://frsport.com/tomei-440012-exp...0sx-s14-silvia
    That looks the business

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Hks do a titanium back box

Will take a look thanks

Rides
    changing from stock manifold to a tubular will change the sound,especially as you accelerate as the engine bay noise is increased
    the stock thick walled mani acts as a sound insulator,a thin walled tube will emit more sound or noise

then the lay out of the manifold primary pipe lengths and design can alter the sound the exhaust emits out the back
    HKS made a cast manifold for the TD06 and it gave the SR a unique rasp at higher revs
    instead of a louder drone/resonance the stock manifold and similar equal length short runner manifolds give

a long runner unequal manifold on my 14a gave it a raspy sound similar to a honda vtec and lost a lot of the drone sound
    depending on manifold alone the same cat back will sound very different,

elbows stock v's 3 " will increase sound levels
    and down pipes 3" v's split 2.5" superlow types again changed the sound on mine slightly in lower rev range

imo to replicate a sound you like you will need run the same complete exhaust with manifold possibly turbo as well
    even ceramic coating or header wrap can muffle sound/engine bay noise so the exhaust noise out back sounds louder in the car

titanium is a nice light material but known to crack after many heat cycles,bending it creates stress areas so why often it is pie sectioned at bends
    it is not ideal for exhausts that get really hot like a turbo car, long term it can create cracks around welds
    similar to aluminum for sound, louder than stainless at same gauge, and pie cut bends create a different sound

just some advise/my 2p on getting a certain sound you like

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    changing from stock manifold to a tubular will change the sound,especially as you accelerate as the engine bay noise is increased
    the stock thick walled mani acts as a sound insulator,a thin walled tube will emit more sound or noise

then the lay out of the manifold primary pipe lengths and design can alter the sound the exhaust emits out the back
    HKS made a cast manifold for the TD06 and it gave the SR a unique rasp at higher revs
    instead of a louder drone/resonance the stock manifold and similar equal length short runner manifolds give

a long runner unequal manifold on my 14a gave it a raspy sound similar to a honda vtec and lost a lot of the drone sound
    depending on manifold alone the same cat back will sound very different,

elbows stock v's 3 " will increase sound levels
    and down pipes 3" v's split 2.5" superlow types again changed the sound on mine slightly in lower rev range

imo to replicate a sound you like you will need run the same complete exhaust with manifold possibly turbo as well
    even ceramic coating or header wrap can muffle sound/engine bay noise so the exhaust noise out back sounds louder in the car

titanium is a nice light material but known to crack after many heat cycles,bending it creates stress areas so why often it is pie sectioned at bends
    it is not ideal for exhausts that get really hot like a turbo car, long term it can create cracks around welds
    similar to aluminum for sound, louder than stainless at same gauge, and pie cut bends create a different sound

just some advise/my 2p on getting a certain sound you like
    Cheers Andy it made good reading and thanks for the effort in writing.
    I’ve got a Apw tubular uneven length manifold
    Turbo wise it’s a gt2871r
    Japspeed rs turbo elbow and the rest is also japspeed,like I say it dosent sound to bad but the end can is too big. Used to run akrapovic end cans on my bikes and they were titanium and sounded far better than the scorpion stainless one it was replacing,I know it’s not a bike engine but titanium does seem to change exhaust notes to a rasp be it a bike or a car I may even see if Andy at apw deals with titanium as he is sound as a pound

Rides
    RSR exmag for the win!

Rides
    The more you pay the better you get. Not all exhausts are made equal. Come on. I ran an Apex 3" single for a number of years. Was possibly the very first thing I bought for my 200 way back in the early 2k's. Was all I could afford, at the time. It was loud and I was young so I quite liked it. When I switched to an Apexi Titanium I realised how horrible the Apex sounded. Similar style exhaust but very different sound. the Apex was harsh and raspy, the Apexi has a deeper, nicer rumble (not as nice as a 6 cylinder or V8 but as nice as a 4 pot can sound). plus the Apexi weighs almost nothing and looks lovely with the scorched tip. Being titanium it doesn't tarnish either. With the decat silencer fitted the Apexi is loud but not deafening (Sub 100db at 4k rpm). You can hear the induction sucking and the turbo spooling as much as the exhaust roaring. Heard a few HKS exhausts and it's a similar deal. Therefore HKS or Apexi get my vote.

Rides
    I used to run a HKS Hi-Power silent, absolutely loved it.

Wouldn't shake the earth on start up, lovely smooth deep rumble on a steady cruise and a very nice noise on WOT. Not droney at all.

Passed track noise limits also.

Rides
    I have an Apexi N1 titanium exhaust and I quite like the sound of it, would definitely say it's one of the nicer ones for an sr.