Thread: Very weird electrical issue, please help, I give up!

Rides

Very weird electrical issue, please help, I give up!

So my friend recently got an s14a and it’s having some electrical issues, the main one is when he puts his keys in the ignition and turns them to the on position, no electrics work, the clock on the dash back light illuminates but doesn’t display a time, the windows, lights, literally everything doesn’t have power until he starts the car and revs it a few times, then everything is fully functional, even the Rev counter works!

Other things I can think of are; no matter what relay he uses for the fuel pump it won’t engage to run the pump, so have had to bridge the lives to get the car to run. (I’ve tested working relays off my car) also the car sometimes just clicks and trips out when you go to start it, the whole thing dies and you have to hit the fuse box in the engine bay a lot and sometimes that gets it to go, if not then just leave it for a few days and it’s fine. One time it actually cut out whilst driving like all electrics went and the car died. Also indicators don’t work.

The car was auto and is now manual, judging by the some other things we found I have no confidence it was a professional swap, a lot of bodges on the car we have been sorting through but are now stuck on these issues. If anyone could point us in the right direction we would really appreciate it, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Drivers side arch loom is generally the first stop for strange electrical problems. If it's lowered, the wheels can rub through the loom causing all kinds of problems.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Other thing to check is your earths. The fact that power is weak and temperamental could be because you have a poor earth. On the left hand side of the engine bay behind the battery there is a bolt with 2 earth wires going through it. Make sure its clean and rust free. Check this for all of the earth cables. Also make sure the battery terminals are tight. Might sound silly but it has happened to me. Car cut out on me. But it was after i did some work on the car and i hadn't tightened one of the terminals back up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks guys, have checked the arch loom twice to be sure, nothing there, have checked all grounds, sanded them down and even cleaned the threads, still nothing, battery has been re located to the boot, forgot to add that.

Rides
    What gauge cable is fitted for the relocate? Also have you checked the wiring to the back of the barrel? And is there/has there been a turbo timer?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    What gauge cable is fitted for the relocate? Also have you checked the wiring to the back of the barrel? And is there/has there been a turbo timer?

Not sure it does look quite thick though, same size as mine and mine is fine, haven’t checked back of the barrel, there was a turbo timer fitter but I’m sure it was disconnected as my mates pulled it all out now

Rides
    check ECU multi-pug is pressed fully home and is square to the ecu body/casing,if it's slightly on the pi$$ some contact pins won't be touching properly
    if the bolt is tight that don't mean it's all ok,
    ideally to be sure you need undo the bolt pull the plug off and check for any distorted/bent pins
    if pins all check out good and straight then re-fit the plug and press it square on the ecu, then do the bolt up
    easy to mess it up by loosely locating the bolt and drawing the plug on with the bolt
    this is if ref to the Manual swap being done not so well/bodged
    wouldn't hurt to check the clock multi-plugs and anything else that's been fiddled with just so your not overlooking a simple hamfisted mistake

having to wack the fuse box is a loose connection/bad earth issue, 20 year old wires ain't brilliant so adding a big fat engine earth and good battery
    ground point with a fat earth to - can only help ensure it's earthed properly

try trace how the auto gearbox starter imob/reverse switch was by passed or deleted and check its not that causing the random power loss/return

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    check ECU multi-pug is pressed fully home and is square to the ecu body/casing,if it's slightly on the pi$$ some contact pins won't be touching properly
    if the bolt is tight that don't mean it's all ok,
    ideally to be sure you need undo the bolt pull the plug off and check for any distorted/bent pins
    if pins all check out good and straight then re-fit the plug and press it square on the ecu, then do the bolt up
    easy to mess it up by loosely locating the bolt and drawing the plug on with the bolt
    this is if ref to the Manual swap being done not so well/bodged
    wouldn't hurt to check the clock multi-plugs and anything else that's been fiddled with just so your not overlooking a simple hamfisted mistake

having to wack the fuse box is a loose connection/bad earth issue, 20 year old wires ain't brilliant so adding a big fat engine earth and good battery
    ground point with a fat earth to - can only help ensure it's earthed properly

try trace how the auto gearbox starter imob/reverse switch was by passed or deleted and check its not that causing the random power loss/return
    Thanks buddy, I’ll send him over what everyone has said so far, hopefully he gets chance to do some work on it today and I shall update later on

Big thanks to everyone for the help so far!