Thread: Buyers beware of 180sx for sale on eBay and Facebook

Rides

Buyers beware of 180sx for sale on eBay and Facebook

Just a warning to anyone interested in this fresh import 180sx for sale right now.

Car is listed as having done 73k kilometres (very low millage for such an old car). No mention of any accident or repair history. Seller is looking for around £7k. Sounds like a decent price for the car. The information given on this car is not correct, and the millage has been tampered with since being sold in Japan. The car was at auction back in March. Auction sheet states 187k kilometres, front end accident. All front end panels have been replaced. There is more, however I have not bothered to have it translated. Tampered millage and front end collision was enough for me to know the car is dodgy.

Car is listed here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-18...4ff2%7Ciid%3A1

Original auction photos and auction sheet

I know a lot of people won't agree with me posting this, but it is becoming far too common these days. Prices of imports are very high now. To get a genuine low millage car like this would cost a lot, not profitable for importers really. Therefore a lot of high millage cars with accident history are being brought over and the history in Japan is effectively erased (Not difficult to do).

Note to anyone buying a fresh import, always ask to see the auction sheet. There is only one reason for an auction sheet to be discarded, and that is when the history is being withheld.

Rides
    thanks for the heads up. hope it saves someone from buying a lemon.

Rides
    sorry but my car isn't a lemon .

people need to know the facts before posting negative comments.

I import my own cars from japan and my agent actually had the pleasure of meeting the owner in Japan.

West Country Rep
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leosr View Post
    sorry but my car isn't a lemon .

people need to know the facts before posting negative comments.

I import my own cars from japan and my agent actually had the pleasure of meeting the owner in Japan.
    Then what are the facts?

West Country REO

Rides
    for a start the car hasn't been involved in a accident. just because it's got xx on the wings and bonnet doesn't mean it's been involved in a accident.*The wings have been changed to wider vented fibreglass wings and the bonnet is carbon.

I was lucky enough to have my agent speak to the owner and confirmed it wasnt involved in a accident.*

as for the miles again that's incorrect . on the import certificate is shows the last 2 inspection test miles and they are both under 100,000km*

the previous owner had a issue with the rpm counter so at time of auction inspection a different cluster was fitted showing the auction sheet km.

I also have the the pictures of the 73000km dials whilst in japan . I take this very serious I don't agree with anyone tampering with the miles .

I only bought the car because my agent was confident and everything matched up. if my agent didn't meet the owner I wouldn't have bought the car.

I have also seen how the cars are inspected in Japan. and I'll tell you it's a eye opener .

Rides
    Tricky one, as relying on an agent, or anyone who had a financial interest in a version of events, the agent could be saying anything. I can't see anything above to either prove or disprove thoughts.

Again an owner saying it wasn't involved in an accident, doesn't mean it was or wasn't.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    agreed but the "xx" on a auction sheet does not mean its been in an accident.

Rides
    Car is a grade R, i.e. Accident repair car. Millage has a $ next to it, this means that millage is all documented and supplied.

Rides
    Grade R doesn't necessarily mean repaired, it is also applied to anything obviously modified from stock.

You won't find a car with aftermarket body work in Japan that is graded anything other than R.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Grade R doesn't necessarily mean repaired, it is also applied to anything obviously modified from stock.

You won't find a car with aftermarket body work in Japan that is graded anything other than R.
    Nope. This is a myth. Usually one spread by car exporters/importers. Modified cars are not given an R grade. Plenty of grade 3-4 cars go through with extensive body modifications.
    Last edited by joshua129; 24-06-2018 at 09:55.

Rides
    The grading in Japan isn’t really cut and dry, different auction houses grade differently and as such sometimes a modified car will have a grade and sometimes it’s an R (or RA etc). It’s almost like a standardised scoring system that’s not really very standardised

I’d of said there’s a few too many doubts with this one personally, but without translating the sheet you can’t really state it’s accident damaged, if it is then there’s likely mention of core support damage etc within the sheet which would confirm it if that’s the case

Rides
    Grade R is given to any vehicle that has had accident damage repair or has been heavily modified. A body kit and a few bolt ons will still go through as a number where as a stripped out and caged track/drift car would be given an R rating. I was told this by TorqueGT when I imported my car.

I would say if you have pics/docs showing correct mileage and the cluster post them up and then that ends that debate.

Rides
    Christ alive. It's a 25 year old motor and the type that could have had all sorts of history under its belt. If you buy any car of this nature on anything other than condition as seen you're a bloody mentalist. Couldn't give a toss what the auction sheet says, personally.

Rides
    EDIT: Posted at the same time as arry to make exactly the same point.

Buy based on condition.

Rides
    I'm sure it would have been far more eloquent from your good self though, proper Mr Taylor.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I'm sure it would have been far more eloquent from your good self though, proper Mr Taylor.
    You filthy languaged rapscallion you!

Rides
    Arry said it perfectly.

All of these cars have funky pasts.
    Just because it may have had crash repairs, doesn’t mean it a lemon.

Any viewer/ buyer needs to pay attention to the vehicle they intend to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362