Thread: S15 auto spec s to manual turbo conversion

Rides

S15 auto spec s to manual turbo conversion

So I have recently acquired a stock s15 spec s auto and as you can imagine I want to swap it to a manual turbo before anyone notices.....

Any tips on the conversion and knowledge of things you would do differently if doing it again etc would be great. General reassurance that it's an easy job would be great too. Is there any reasons to use s15 engine, ECU, loom and other parts rather than s14?

What other parts would you recommend I fit while it's all apart?

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Rides
    In for info also just bought spec s manual and have a det spare in garage so also looking for info

Rides
    I did a conversion a couple of years ago, it shouldn’t have been but was an absolute mare.

However, make sure you contact Mark Norfolk (Norfy on here) for the conversion loom, I used someone else which ultimately cost me 000’s

You’ll need a 14/a engine loom and start and charge loom.

As for differences:

Spec S prop is narrower and possibly weaker than a 14a one
    You will need an ignition amplifier from a 14a if you use a 14/a engine or do a VAG conversion.

Can’t rememwbr which but I’m fairly sure some of the relays in the passenger footwell above the ECU are different so you’ll need the 14a ones

I’ll add more as and when I recall.

Rides
    I have not done the conversion myself but from being around s bodies for a good few years there will be lots of smaller things to consider.

What do you want to do power wise in the future? If you have a 14/14a ecu and loom you can go to a hdev or similar generic chip/map but if you get a 15 ecu you will have to run power fc/standalone.

Diff ratio will probably be different so your speedo will be out depending on the box you get, also the pick up for the abs/speedo might not be the same (if you have abs?)

Are the non turbo brakes up to the job, smaller than the 4 pots on turbo cars?

As mentioned prop and ignition amps are different between models.

Good luck with it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    I have not done the conversion myself but from being around s bodies for a good few years there will be lots of smaller things to consider.

What do you want to do power wise in the future? If you have a 14/14a ecu and loom you can go to a hdev or similar generic chip/map but if you get a 15 ecu you will have to run power fc/standalone.

Diff ratio will probably be different so your speedo will be out depending on the box you get, also the pick up for the abs/speedo might not be the same (if you have abs?)

Are the non turbo brakes up to the job, smaller than the 4 pots on turbo cars?

As mentioned prop and ignition amps are different between models.

Good luck with it!
    H-Dev does or at least used to S15 chips for the S15 ecu - They fitted one to my S15 when I had it so I wouldn't rule out the S15 ecu.