Thread: Front mount intercoolers

Rides

Front mount intercoolers

Hi All,

Im looking into getting a FMIC but as i understand ill have to have a slimmer battery to fit the intercooler pipe past throttle body side.
    My question is what slim batteries is everyone running and also what FMIC kits has everyone gone for?

Many thanks
    Ben

Rides
    If you run an FMIC out front in the bumper, you will need to cut a hole in your battery tray.
    Then only a race battery will fit.
    Most people relocate the battery to the boot which is a bit of a ballache.
    There are loads of chinese kits about but buy both the fitting kit and the IC from the same people.
    There is a particular brand to avoid but I can't remember their name I'd know it if I heard it.

If you run an FMIC in front of the radiator, you might need a smaller battery but you can make it fit and no cutting of the tray is required. The pipework is a hell of a lot shorter too.
    You need to delete the carbon canister (which does nothing useful) and probably the fan cowling (which does) depending on the thickness of the IC and the radiator.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    054 Micra battery is half the size, works fine on a daily.

Rides
    I relocated my battery to the boot as my smaller battery was struggling to crank the SR and wouldn't hold charge for more than 2 weeks (was only a year old too)the cable, connectors and trip fuse cost about £80 and i got a 320 D battery from halfords. took about 4 hours in total, was quite simple

Rides
    I run the 054 battery aswell and only really use the car on weekends and it’s just about fine Luckily I can park my car right outside the garage so have hardwired a connector to the battery so I can quickly plug in a trickle charger for winter use

It’s not like these cars have an excess of boot space to stick a big battery in

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    I run the 054 battery aswell and only really use the car on weekends and it’s just about fine Luckily I can park my car right outside the garage so have hardwired a connector to the battery so I can quickly plug in a trickle charger for winter use

It’s not like these cars have an excess of boot space to stick a big battery in
    in my 15 the battery fits perfectly in the pocket between the rear strut tower and the rear of the boot space. but horses for courses, i was tired of having to keep charging mine or it being flat when i wanted to use it

Rides
    Yea the PS is really used for a weekender fair weather drive really so it lives mainly in the workshop, maybe the battery in the boot is the way forward for me and its probably cheaper as i can get all the bits for that to be relocated from work.

only thing im torn between is to spend out on getting a name brand FMIC like blitz or greddy or go for a cheaper alternative which does the exact same job.
    apart from build quality which is sometimes negligible is there any large differences between a unbranded or banded FMIC

Rides
    You could install a small battery.

Rides
    i certainly could swap the battery out for a smaller unit but i like all my creature comforts like music, A/C etc plus its not a daily driver so will be left standing for a week or two so could do with a battery i don't have to keep on trickle charge or to disconnect every time i park it up sort of thing.

Rides
    i had a small battery and got bored of sodding about when the car wasnt in use so relocated mine, worth the initial effort in the long run. I bought an apex fmic kit years ago when they still sold stuff and the core was made by greddy so you never really know what youre getting but a matching core and pipework would be easiest unless you have mad fabrication skills and make up your own

Rides
    Buy a Japspeed one and tell me there is no difference in quality lol. They employ Stevie Wonder as a welder and the jubilees are made of cardboard (almost).

Rides
    If you can lay your hands on an original Norris front mount with the proper pipework it fits perfectly with no need for any cutting or change of batteries etc. + Works brilliantly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    If you can lay your hands on an original Norris front mount with the proper pipework it fits perfectly with no need for any cutting or change of batteries etc. + Works brilliantly.
    Now that sounds like a unicorn bit of kit that my luck won't help me out finding, but i shall certainly have a look.

i don't want to go down the road of a FMIC that works ok but looks like someone has found a mig welder in their grandads garage and the went down halfords to get some alloy wire to hope for the best. i could fab up a system but i was looking for a well made bit of kit that fits first time round with welds you'd be proud of...... too ambitious?

Rides
    Why don't you flip the intercooler & bring the pipes in behind your headlights? As it's for a ps13 you haven't got the issue of pop up motors etc. You can then run much shorter pipes too.

Rides
    I don't think ill be able to fit the pipework in there behind the headlight, plus i was looking at keeping the A/C as im a tart.
    Maybe a longer with a max height of 280mm core would help out with locating the pipework a little better?
    IMG_9878.jpg

i might pop the front bumper off tomorrow and see properly what space is available with keeping all of the A/C bits in there.