Thread: Hi peeps

Rides

Hi peeps

As above =)

Im aiming to own an S14a soon. Joined here so I can learn more about before i get one.

Hope you all are well.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Welcome aboard! Shop around and be sure you grab the best example you can for your budget. Don't worry about mods they can come later. Clean is king nowadays

Rides
    Thanks bud. Yep, im hunting for a clean example --not mental spec. I had two GTR32s from the past so power is not my priority anymore albeit a bonus for the budget. I am not in a great hurry so time is my ally. It will be used for daily social purposes --excluding Tesco shoppings. LOL =))

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Welcome mate, hope you source a good one
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    ^thank you. Im sure there are tons of information here but what is/are 14a's weakest points? Im sure rusts will be but where should i first look at? Or if you point me to the right direction here or anywhere where i can find info that will be good and much appreciated.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Body condition is the most important thing imo. Places to look are:

sills, all of the sill but especially at the rear where the subframe mounts
    Front wheel arch, where the brake lines attach to the body
    Rear panel, up in behind the rear bumper
    Front strut tops, under the bonnet around the suspension turrets

The cars are pretty simple underneath so should be easy to spot.

Vvt rattle is normal on the sr20 but do some research so you can identify it, if it rattles constantly then you'll likely need a new sprocket which isn't cheap.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    ^thanks. Sure ill look out for the rusts especially on the mentioned above. The engine ratfle of course is an important thing to look at. I found a couple of thread here and external sites about boost leak, WMIC leak, turbo gasket, turbo smoke, etc. Seeing those nformation, it seem the things to look out for is endless. I dont want to be a pain for any seller by being very meticulous especially these cars are not brand new unless fully restored. So the most common issues are something i want to know and be aware of. Im hoping to get a decently or reasonably restored one, mechanically and aesthetically. �� thanks for the infos.

Rides
    welcome aboard and your in the right place,the more you know about the s body the better for when you go to view one
    sxoc is a gold mine of info,maybe check out some build threads for areas prone to rust and see whats involved to fix it
    nothing wrong with getting one with some easier to repair small rusty bits,if you can grind and weld helps or practice makes perfect
    minty no rust low miles cars are on the up price wise,

Rides
    ^thank you. Found some project threads already here and they are good information to read. Just found out that 14a's calipers are also prone to seizing --im sure the r32/r33s calipers are good upgrade to it --i sold my gtr32 calipers to a silvia owner a few years back (not sure of any bracket mods though). As long as i can find a clean solid body and strong engine --with subtle mods would be great. I will keep my eyes open but will make sure im getting the right one. Thanks buddy.

Rides
    As said it’s the chassis which is the thing to be looking at these days. Everything else is easily replaceable.

Good luck with the search!

Rides
    ^Thank you. I will take all your advices. I will definitely look for a good base. Thanks for all your help.