Thread: 180sx Brake Upgrade

Rides

180sx Brake Upgrade

Hello guys and girls.

Looking for some advice on brake upgrades after my last track day at Llandow would love to punch the pedal and stop on a dime but I have a few queries and points maybe someone can advise.

I'm still 4 stud.
    Wheel size is 17x8 ET35 in the front and 17x8 ET32 in the rear.
    Front calipers are S13 and rears are S14, I do believe the handbrake is different on some?

I've already had braided lines fitted and I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in at the moment and can't fault them. So my basic question is what will be the easiest(ish) upgrade, I was thinking R body brakes of some kind but discs will need to be redrilled 100%.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreos View Post
    Hello guys and girls.

Looking for some advice on brake upgrades after my last track day at Llandow would love to punch the pedal and stop on a dime but I have a few queries and points maybe someone can advise.

I'm still 4 stud.
    Wheel size is 17x8 ET35 in the front and 17x8 ET32 in the rear.
    Front calipers are S13 and rears are S14, I do believe the handbrake is different on some?

I've already had braided lines fitted and I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in at the moment and can't fault them. So my basic question is what will be the easiest(ish) upgrade, I was thinking R body brakes of some kind but discs will need to be redrilled 100%.

I have a 310mm Bell and rotor setup with Z32 4 pots on front with a complete Z32 2 pot calipers on rear. 4 stud

Calipers we’re rebuilt and powder coated black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I’ve got a pair of s15 spec r calipers that I’ve just taken off. You can have them cheap, car had 67k and work fone

Rides
    R33 gtr or 350z brembos, don’t fanny around they’re the best of the oem bolt ons available.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRPS13 View Post
    R33 gtr or 350z brembos, don’t fanny around they’re the best of the oem bolt ons available.
    350z ones are a pain tho as you need to drill out the hubs as they run bigger bolts, so R33 GTR or R34 GTR(look like 350z but don't need drilling)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by overnutter View Post
    350z ones are a pain tho as you need to drill out the hubs as they run bigger bolts, so R33 GTR or R34 GTR(look like 350z but don't need drilling)
    Im pretty sure R34's need drilling too as i have fitted R34 GTT to my s15 and they needed drilling to 14mm. its no bother, its about £6 for a drill bit and takes about 10 minutes if you have a half decent battery drill.

OR buy my Spec R S15 brakes

Rides
    I put R34 gtt's on mine all around. As said, the front caliper bolt holes need drilling out to 14mm but it's not too bad to do. I got my discs from mtec and they can redrill the discs to 4 stud for you which is what I had done.

If you've got the money spare go for the gtr/350 fronts and skyline 2 piston rears.

Don't forget a bm57 master cylinder to go with it too.
    Last edited by JackB; 02-05-2018 at 11:31.

Rides
    It's worth drilling to m14 and buying front 350z Brembo's over R33gtr/r32vspec Brembo's

350z front discs are over £100 cheaper despite being same diameter. I think the only difference is offset.

Rides
    I found this page.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/t...brake-details/

So basically S15 calipers are the same as R3X GTS-T calipers for the front at least, and the rears make no difference between the S13 SR to S15?

Ideally trying to get an easy upgrade with not much work involved and as cheaply as possible. There are a lot of options around but I'm still as confused now

Rides
    Easiest upgrade you can do is r33 gtst fronts (296mm) and any skyline rears that are 2 piston (297mm). Both will bolt on but for the rears you will need to swap to an s13 drum handbrake setup. Any rear upgrade will require a drum handbrake conversion.

Just have to weigh up the price difference being worth it if youre buying r33 fronts and then new discs as well or just sticking with your current fronts and getting good rears and a bm57. All it is really is a 16mm change in disc size.

EDIT: didn't see you still have standard fronts so some s14/z32 fronts will be the cheapest/easiest front upgrade.
    Last edited by JackB; 02-05-2018 at 13:25.

Rides
    S15 rears have the handbrake on the caliper where as the s13 has a drum and top hat setup so bear that in mind. In summary changing the fronts will at most require you to open 2 holes out each side form 12mm to 14mm. Changing the rears could be as simple as making a spacer bracket to move your caliper further out to take a larger disc off say an R33 instead of buying a complete new rear setup.

also worth checking caliper clearances and offsets required for whatever setup you decide, especially on the front

Rides
    180sx have the same setup as the s15 virgin, only the 200sx s13 has the drum setup

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsauce View Post
    180sx have the same setup as the s15 virgin, only the 200sx s13 has the drum setup
    Never knew that so the 180 is CA and the 200 is SR?

Rides
    You can run s14/15/z32 4 pots (280mm disc) and redrill the discs. A friend of mine also ran skyline r33 brakes which are slightly bigger i think (296mm), double check though, this was 5 stud though. I run z32 brakes on the front with redrilled discs (to 4 stud).

The rear you can upgrade to z32 but along with that you will be doing 5 stud. If you can get a hold of a UK s13 rear brake setup you will gain the hub handbrake as opposed to 180sx/s14/s15 rear crappy handbrake. I run villains second caliper kit for my hydro as I wanted a totally separate system.

Remember fronts to most of the braking so either s14/15/z32 or skyline brakes with some good discs and pads will be alot better than s13 stock fronts.

Hope this help

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_virgin View Post
    Never knew that so the 180 is CA and the 200 is SR?
    All Japanese "S" bodies 180SX RS13/RPS13 (CA/SR) and Silvia S13/PS13 (CA/SR), S14 (SR) and S15 (SR) have handbrake on calliper.

All Japanese 180SX and Silva after mid 1991 have SR.

Japan never had a S15 200SX (we all just call it 200SX), if it has a boot in Japan it's a Silvia. Australia / NZ had S15 with 200SX badge.

Only European 200SX RS13 had the ZX/Skyline style drum handbrake with disc service brake. There is a whole lot of stuff on European 200SX RS13 that is better spec than any factory JDM 13 as they had to spec for A-bahn 125mph cruise and not ECU limited 112mph. But JDM option list was stuffed full of toys, like drinks cooler in glove box.