Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the love of gearbox’s

Rides
    Some of them 350z gear box’s are £2500 on there own depending on what mileage you want,Jeez!! I’m debating what to do here should I go for rebuild or save up for a 350z box,the car is only a weekend toy so if the box does give up it can just sit till I’m ready

Rides
    Bloody hell! Is that how much they are now?! Luckily I bought my gearbox a few years back before they got expensive, so my conversion has only cost around me £6-700.

You'll be able to sort the Z32 conversion much cheaper, but its only a 5 speed box.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Bloody hell! Is that how much they are now?! Luckily I bought my gearbox a few years back before they got expensive, so my conversion has only cost around me £6-700.

You'll be able to sort the Z32 conversion much cheaper, but its only a 5 speed box.
    Lol you fancy selling yours?? Yeah I see one on eBay for that price and some for £700,I may just rebuild this box as it’s only a bearing whine no crunching into gear or anything like that so I’m assuming synchros and gears are ok??,I’m not too bothered in having a six speed either it’s just a shitter I’ve just spent a ton of money on the old girl getting upto 350bhp

Rides
    Haha. I'm afraid not mate! I've not driven the car since rebuilding it, so I'm defninitely not getting rid of the box

Yeah, you're at that awkward level of power now where the life of the box is an uncertainty. If I were you, I'd just be kind to the gearbox for the time being (no launches or clutch dumps) and put money away for when it inevitably bites the dust

Rides
    You can Z32 it for less than a grand, I did. I'd 350z mine if I had the money though, just for the 6th gear.

(p.s if anyone has a z32 box for sale, I'm looking for another)

Rides
    Made a few phone calls this afternoon and There’s a place up the road from me in Kidderminster called geartech who said they can rebuild it for me,is there any garages you guys would recommend?do garage 21 do gearbox’s and conversions if I did go down that route

Rides
    Try Pault on 350zuk, thats where i got mine (wasn't a cd009 but not bothered as I have an older style cd001 in my 350z and have no problems with it, now I have a spare for my s14a conversion). If not him there was a few on the forum or the facebook page all around £400-600.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post
    Try Pault on 350zuk, thats where i got mine (wasn't a cd009 but not bothered as I have an older style cd001 in my 350z and have no problems with it, now I have a spare for my s14a conversion). If not him there was a few on the forum or the facebook page all around £400-600.
    Thanks for that I will have a mooch

Rides
    Booked the old girl at garage 21 Dave seems a sound chap and watching him on monkey London’s YouTube channel he looks really good at his job and very meticulous,I’m going to have him strip the box down and hopefully it’s only a input shaft bearing,I thought I would get it rebuilt as the cars only got 57,000 miles on it and it’s been pretty standard most of it’s life upto last month,previously it was sat for 7 years in dry storage so I guess that won’t help much.

Rides
    Sounds good. You’ll have to keep us posted bud

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Sounds good. You’ll have to keep us posted bud
    Yeah will do mate it’s not going in until June 9th as Dave is booked up,I won’t drive it much till then,thanks for everybody’s help and input

Rides
    You could even opt for a skyline box conversion if that box doesn’t last as it’s a cheaper alternative, I’ve gone down a different route to a 350z box and I’m currently doing a bmw 46 m3 box into mine, only annoying thing is I’ve not long put a brand new exedy hyper single in and now it’s destinded for the shed ��