Thread: Tomei Poncams Redtop adjustable pulleey or not ?

Rides

Tomei Poncams Redtop sr20det adjustable pulley or not

I've had a set of Tomei poncams fitted with new lifters rocker & rocker arms. They've made no difference anywhere in the power range. I heard that Tomei cams need adjustable pulleys, so this is what I've bought - a pair of Tomei adjustable pulleys.

It says on the instructions "Poncam camshafts will not require any valve timing to be set as the valve timing is preset from the factory on the poncams. By using the pulley you then re-adjust the intake timing to suit your needs starting from the centre position (0 degrees position) and then adjust to + or - 3 scale (3 degrees range)" etc.

It also says "the Poncam has already got the valve timing adjustment preset from factory but there are times when the valve timing is not suitable for the matching with the cylinder head, head gasket and cylinder block at is being used.
    I'm confused!! To ad another thin,g my engine runs an Omex ecu which uses a crank trigger wheel rather than the cam sensor, any advice welcome .
    Last edited by ekjim; 19-04-2018 at 05:44.

Rides
    The cams are setup for standard timing, just like the stock ones and should not need an adjustable pulley.
    You can fit one should you wish, but it'll then need setting up on a rolling road to dial the cam adjustment in to match the map.

Maybe talk to the guy that mapped the car in the first place, see what they think?
    Last edited by R3K1355; 19-04-2018 at 08:59.

Rides
    Not sure but adam lz mentioned it in one of his videos and the engine did indeed need pulleys to get the best from the cams

Rides
    Yes mate, that's right but I think he ran Tomei Pro cams ,Ill ask the guy that mapped the car what he thinks .

Rides
    What turbo are you running? You may not really notice much of an improvement until the boost starts to go up, and they should come alive further up the rev range.
    if you have at least a GT3071 or similar, then retarding both the exhaust & intake cam a few degrees should give you a noticeable power band after the mid range.

Rides
    If you're not noticing much it maybe worth chucking on a dyno and getting the cams dailled in

Rides
    Thanks for that , the turbo is a Cosworth t34 journal bearing just now , the engine is only making power up to 6500 rpm but ive got log type cast manifold so we think this is restricting the revs . If all goes well ill take the car to the tuner today and let you know what we plan to do . Ill post the last graph up later .