Thread: CA18DET Breather Piper Removal

Rides

CA18DET Breather Piper Removal

Hi Everyone,

To your advice on my build thread I am currently checking my breather system and giving them a good clear out, although its not been bad so far. The last one to do is the on from the back left (as you look at the engine from the front bumper) cam cover that joins to the crankcase via a small rubber hose and metal pipe. I have got the rubber hose off but I am wondering what the best way to get the metal tube to the crankcase out or the best way to clean it in place.

I've done some searching but a few have had the intake off

Thanks people.

Rides
    remove the inlet plenum,can leave injector manifold bolted to head ,the metal pipe has a nasty dented narrowed section and crud builds up there a lot
    mine was near blocked as well as the 90 degree tube pressed into the block is another suspect area for crud,
    removing the pipe and or getting to the 90 is near impossible with plenum fitted
    the OE steel pipe has a hidden bracket bolt iirc as well ,maybe replace the OE steel pipe for some thing else with less dents,
    one of my engines came with a plumber's copper pipe and soldered unions job,not pretty but hidden
    , with plenum removed can check coolant hoses, oil filter housing/pressure switch for leaks the huge log plenum hides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    one of my engines came with a plumber's copper pipe and soldered unions job,not pretty but hidden
    IIRC there's one copper plumbers union thats a perfect match to join the lower and upper breather hoses, and being a plumbing part it costs about 20p.

Rides
    This is the best pic I've got of the pipe, you can see where the bolts holding it would go.

Rides
    Awesome guys, I didn't realise there was more pipes down there so best take the intake off anyway to get to them all.

I might put it back together as I need the car to get me to work for 3 days next week and then I'll order some new oil resistant silicone piping, get this copper pipe you mention and then do it all at once.

Thanks dudes. The picture is super helpful!

Rides
    You can use rubber pipe as well, which is usually cheaper than oil resistant silicone.

R6 pipe is the stuff you need I believe.