Thread: Camshaft direct replacement question

Rides

Camshaft direct replacement question

Am i right in saying i could directly replace the oe camshafts with the Tomei Poncam 256 11.50mm ones?
    The car is a s14a , all help appreciated thanks!

Rides
    Physically yes. But it will affect your map. You may need to wind the boost pressure back a touch until you can have it remapped.

It’s worth fitting rocker arm stoppers whilst you’ve got the rocker cover off too.

Rides
    Thanks! So ideally i need a remap after fitting them? An yeah ill look into rockers was just goin to use the orginals as i thought it was a direct replacement

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you fit new cams you should fit new rocker arms, to get the best out of them you'd be best off with a remap.

They are the most direct fit cams in that you don't need to fit uprated springs etc.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylfcjay View Post
    Thanks! So ideally i need a remap after fitting them? An yeah ill look into rockers was just goin to use the orginals as i thought it was a direct replacement
    I meant stoppers like these

https://www.nengun.com/tomei/rocker-...iABEgLfmPD_BwE

As Chris said it could be worth fitting new rocker arms but it’s not essential.

To get the real benefit and to make sure you fuelling is correct yes it would want the map correcting.

Rides
    Sound i get it now, thanks guys, Ill have a little shop around, Nice1!

Rides
    some people say RAS are more trouble than good, if you throw a rocker it just buggers off and you get a misfire, with RAS you smash the broken bits into the top of the valve/retainer, as the RAS holds it in place.

Rides
    I got Tomei poncams fitted last year and noticed no difference , thought I might have been an issue with valve train or shims as I got new valve guides ,rockerarms and lifters and valves lapped in before I got new cams, does seem a bit noisy at the top end. Ive been told on here to fit adjustable pulleys with thease cams so ill see how that goes.

Rides
    Dont get rocker stoppers. Do more harm than good. If you're getting new rocker arms, get the dual guide mod done to them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsauce View Post
    Dont get rocker stoppers. Do more harm than good. If you're getting new rocker arms, get the dual guide mod done to them.
    Just read through the guide for that mod.

https://brewedmotors.com/blog/sr20de...m-install.html

Seems like a good idea. I’ve got RAS installed however I don’t understand the downside of them?

Rides
    Because as mentioned, if a rocker fails with them in itll cause a lot of damage to the whole engine potentially but if it fails without them it just ends up in the head and you have to fish it out.

Rides
    high revs high oil pressure the hydrolifter pumps up/extends then touch the rev limter and rocker jumps off the lifter,
    the ras fingers are to lessen the rocker jumping off the lifter but it still can twist left or right and as it can't get out the way
    it can mash the rocker into the cam lobe, break the rocker hold valves open bend valves and the rocker shims will end up in the sump
    iirc sideways14a the cam locked up and broke the cam chain and kinda munched it self
    some SR's can hit stock limiter everyday unaffected just luck of the draw what the rockers are doing imo,
    Bee R limiter and the like break things fast