Thread: Previous S13 owner looking to re-live my youth

Rides

Previous S13 owner looking to re-live my youth

Firstly I would just like to say, it feels nice to be on here again, I've just been looking back at some of my pm's from 14 years ago and it brings back some strong memories.

As the title suggests I'm looking to get back into s13 ownership after approx 16 year absence, now I'm sure in this time a lot has changed notably that there seems to be quite few original examples around?! So a few general questions regarding potential ownership again,

Price: a good relatively rust free original example what would that set me back?

Condition: how has the last 14 years treated these cars? What are the top buying tips to look out for?

Desirability: sunroof no sunroof? Engine? Subtle mods or no mods?

I'm essentially looking for a car to re-live my youth because I loved it but also I don't have bucket loads of money to throw at this ownership. I would like to buy well so I can fettle it a little and use it sparingly so hopefully it will never owe me more than it's worth incase I ever decide to move on to something different? Is this unrealistic?

I can see from when I sold mine 14 years ago prices have already climbed by quite a margin but then again prices do seem to vary enormously so possibly not as much as it would appear.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rides
    Relatively standard, relatively rust free, relatively low mileage that didn't need work will set you back 4500 to 5000.
    Mint ones are going for 10k.
    Tatty old bangers are going for 2-3k.

Sunroof is hastle and means you don't get air con.
    Autos are rare. Most have been converted to manuals.
    Don't pay a premium for an sr engine.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Sunroof is hastle and means you don't get air con.
    What now??

Rides
    Better off importing.

People want 10k for stock ca18det cars here, can get a mint 180sx or ps13 for less landed. Even get a s15 auto for under 3k landed and just turbo swap it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsauce View Post
    Better off importing.

People want 10k for stock ca18det cars here, can get a mint 180sx or ps13 for less landed. Even get a s15 auto for under 3k landed and just turbo swap it.
    In fairness, people was john905 who wanted and got almost 10k for his absolutely immaculate 13k mile Prefacelift. That was a one off.

Reckless, almost all cars have either air con or a sunroof not both. You had to buy an aircon car and specify a sunroof as an option. It may even have been a dealer option rather than a factory option.

Rides
    Reckless, almost all cars have either air con or a sunroof not both. You had to buy an aircon car and specify a sunroof as an option. It may even have been a dealer option rather than a factory option.
    Didn't realise that.

Assume all cars came with air con and sunroof was an option.
    Mine has both, assumed that was normal.

Rides
    Aye both my non sunroof silvias had ac but my two tone 200sx has a sunroof and no ac

Rides

Mine had neither ........poverty spec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsauce View Post
    Even get a s15 auto for under 3k landed and just turbo swap it.
    In this market? Ill be amazed if you can

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish N View Post
    In this market? Ill be amazed if you can
    maybe it's a typo? more like twice that for any 15 imo

Rides
    I think he is suggesting a non-turbo, auto (with high miles and no history) might scrape in under the bar at 3K.

I still don't think he's right though

Rides
    Sunroofs etc.

I have 2 late cars Aug and Dec '93 build (VIN only 20 away from last UK spec car made), 94 reg on M plates both have factory sunroof and air con (not working).

Early car I had was '91 "Exec", that had a UK fitted sunroof and factory air con and oddly high back leather seats. Early facelift only had air con on "Exec", if it wasn't "Exec" it didn't have air-con or headlamp wash and had steel wheels with plastic trims. steel wheels and trims must be very very rare as got lost when swapped for after-market alloys. Exec was also supposed to have multi-player CD player in boot but mine had 2 non-standard holes in the boot floor (think it was robbed).

You are unlikely to find air con on pre-facelift cars. I've got a G plate donor with sunroof.

As far I know all late models with VIN JN100RS13U0229xxx or JN100RS13U023xxxx have both air con and sun-roof from factory. For most of the last year of production they were fully loaded with air-con, sunroof, alloys wheels, leather low back seats, headlamp wash, slot CD players and 4 CD tray storage below.