Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R33 rear caliper problems

Rides

R33 rear caliper problems

I’m in the process of changing my 4 stud S13 brake setup to a bigger 5 stud R33 setup!

The front end went perfectly and was finished in a day, however the tears have become somewhat of a nightmare

I’ve fitted the hubs and discs but now I’m coming to mount the calipers, and they’re catching the face of the disc and grinding on the edge!

I was under the impression that they were a straight bolt on swap? They’re standard R33 GTS-T calipers with standard 296mm discs, so I’m struggling to find the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Have you measured the discs yourself?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Have you measured the discs yourself?
    No I haven’t, this is going off what the guy I bought them off told me as he had them running on his R33

Rides
    296mm is correct and should fit. Can't see any reason for them not too.

I'd definitely go measure them yourself. Looks like it's only a couple mm out so you'd have to measure it dead centre across the disc to get the true size of them to know if they're the issue or not.

Rides
    296mm is correct and should fit. Can't see any reason for them not too.

I'd definitely go measure them yourself. Looks like it's only a couple mm out so you'd have to measure it dead centre across the disc to get the true size of them to know if they're the issue or not.
    I tried usin some thin washers to try space the caliper put from the disc surface and it didnt make any difference on the drivers side but it did on the passenger side?

Rides
    Sorry I thought you were having an issue with the disc being too wide and hitting the edge of the caliper furthest from the centre.

On the caliper its self it may have a washer stuck to it where the bolt goes through.

Were you supplied with bolts for the calipers when you bought them? Have you got any pics of it from behind so you can see what bolt and washer arrangement you've got going on?

Rides
    Sorry I thought you were having an issue with the disc being too wide and hitting the edge of the caliper furthest from the centre.

On the caliper its self it may have a washer stuck to it where the bolt goes through.

Were you supplied with bolts for the calipers when you bought them? Have you got any pics of it from behind so you can see what bolt and washer arrangement you've got going on?
    I’ve taken the washers out now and there are no others on there apart from the little metal shin that goes between the caliper and the knuckle although that helps push it further away,

I’m using standard S13 rear knuckles, S14 rear hubs/bearings, Modified S13 backing plates and R33 discs and calipers

Rides
    Should look like this from behind. Bolt, washer, hub then caliper.

Were both pistons pressed equally before installing?

Rides
    Should look like this from behind. Bolt, washer, hub then caliper.

Were both pistons pressed equally before installing?
    That’s exactly how they’re mounted, I pressed each piston back fully before installing however now I’ve pumped the pedal they’re a bit closer to the disc, I might take off the disc and clean up both the hub face and the inner surface of the disc in case there’s any corrosion which is causing this?

Rides
    I've just realised what it could be. Rear discs for these calipers are 297mm not 296. The front discs on an r33 gtst are 296mm.

How thick are the discs you've got on and that'll tell us the issue straight away.

Correct rear disc width is 18mm. The front gtst discs are 30mm wide. Big difference.

Rides
    Oh wow that’s quite a difference! I’ll check it out and let you know, they don’t look to be 30mm wide they definitely look more like the 18mm but I’ll confirm

Rides
    Is there a larger chamfer on the disc edge on the 297mm discs than the 296? As it looks to me like the chamfer on the caliper does match the one on the disc so they’re touching

Rides
    Nah I don't think they are tapered like that at the edges.

There is a difference in height between the front and rears of 10mm. I think you'd know if you had fronts on to be honest. The pic you put up looks like they are right as well.

Is the disc pushed on all the way? Maybe bolt your wheel on and take it off and see if there's any difference.

Rides
    Could there be something trapped behind the wheel bearing/hubs
    I’m trying to remember the order it all goes together but I can’t see it being a calipers issue as you can only bolt them on where they fit really but if the hub hasn’t pulled in enough or is on the piss than would cause the disk to stick out further

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Could there be something trapped behind the wheel bearing/hubs
    I’m trying to remember the order it all goes together but I can’t see it being a calipers issue as you can only bolt them on where they fit really but if the hub hasn’t pulled in enough or is on the piss than would cause the disk to stick out further
    I cleaned up the face of the knuckle as the old ones were seized on then I torqued the bolts up to 85Nm as it said in the workshop manual I found on here so they should be on straight?

Rides
    The rear discs should be:
    Diameter: 295mm
    Height: 64mm
    Thickness (new/min): 18/16mm

Check if yours are the same size, maybe your height is different...

Rides
    same problem on both sides?

Rides
    Slacken off the brake shoes and make sure the disc is all the way on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    same problem on both sides?
    Yes mate it’s odd because some thin (1mm maybe) washers worked at spacing it on the passenger side but made no difference to the drivers?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Slacken off the brake shoes and make sure the disc is all the way on.
    Yeaaaahhh... I don’t even have a handbrake fitted yet hahaha no shoes installed as of yet