Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gracey - Jonny Wilkinson's new project

Rides

Gracey - Jonny Wilkinson's new project

I thought I was finished with 200SX ownership. Selling Precious (a little over 12 months ago) was a hard thing to decide to do but the right thing to do for me.

It didn't feel right to replace her with any other car straight away so I bought a couple more bikes and then a little '08 convertible Tigra for my daughter.

I'd been sniffing around a few Jaguars and umming and aahing when the decision got taken out of my hands.

One Friday evening, I got home to find a letter from a firm of solicitors.

The basics of the letter were that someone I had helped out once had died. He decided that I should be the next guardian of his car so left it to me in his will.

Here are some pictures...

So basically, a prefacelift manual 2-owner grey S13 with 76K miles on the clock, a current MOT and seat covers its whole life meaning all 4 seats are unmarked !

It's not perfect. One sill has a frankenstien patch on it, the passenger rear quarter has a little crease by the rear bumper and.... at the moment... we can't find the keys

Oh, and it needs a bit of a "Jonny clean" lol.

As you can see from the pics, I managed to get inside (thanks for the tip Arry) and unlock it and fit a battery but getting it moved and into use is going to be a PITA without the keys so hoping they'll turn up somehow. I also have nowhere to put it really as I already have 3 cars and 3 bikes.

My wife thinks I'm mental, should have turned it down and bought a Jag.

Well, that's how it stands at Day 1. More to follow. Feel free to offer opinions/congratulations or call me names
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 17-06-2018 at 20:22.

Rides
    Yes Jonny, im happy you've ended up with this. I used to drive past this every day but never did see it move! Just sat there under a cover. Will keep an eye out for progress. Always wondered what the state of this car was!

Rides
    The chap drove it during the Summer but spent Winter abroad so wrapped it up every Winter. After doing 20K a year for the first couple of years,It did around 20K miles over the last 24 years and none of it in Winter.

A few more pics...

Rides
    Looks great and whoever left you the car certainly appreciated what you did for them so well done you. I will be keeping an eye on this all the best mate

Rides
    I trust it is good hands and after selling the 200 of all the cars to be left in a will another 200 is uncanny

Rides
    The story behind this is excellent. Such a cool thing. Look forward to 'Precious; the Re-awakening'

Rides
    That car is immaculate, what are your plans with it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I managed to get inside (thanks for the tip Arry) and unlock it
    No worries. Least my misspent youth helped somebody in the end

I also love the back story on this one. Good karma for being an absolutely top bloke. About time that happened.

Rides
    That's a strange turn of events, precious would be most upset if cars had feelings I'd say

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    That's a strange turn of events, precious would be most upset if cars had feelings I'd say
    Lol. Car's don't have feelings, we just like to think they might.

I don't expect this to be another 20 year ownership but I think I'll keep the plate (so its still Peter's car) and do what I can to make it nice then sell it to someone with good plans for the car.

I don't think it has the possibility to be like John905s car but it could be another Precious so it might be possible to keep it out of the clutches of the drift fraternity.

Currently I'm thinking a 10 point plan might look like this...

1. No mods.
    2. Find the keys (please, please) or replace the whole lockset
    3. A thorough clean and tidy up.
    4. Sill repairs and any other remedial work like bushes etc.
    5. Dent repair and paint subject to what I find when I clean it properly.
    6. Anything I find engine/brakes/suspension wise that might need repair.
    7. Full service including all fluids.
    8. Take to a few shows.
    9. Sell to a collector/classic enthusiast with or without the plate.
    10. Hope I haven't made a loss.

I reckon I'm looking at around 6 months work minimum and given my current work circumstances that's going to take me to Spring 2019.

Hopefully, I'll be bringing her to a few shows like Helmingham in 2018.

Rides
    you should be able to get a key cut just from the key code. which you can find by taking one of the locks apart.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    you should be able to get a key cut just from the key code. which you can find by taking one of the locks apart.
    Oooo. That's interesting. Who would cut me a key ? Nissan ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides

Oooo. That's interesting. Who would cut me a key ? Nissan ?

Jonny, I once broke the key to my old moped when I was a mere boy and lost the blade, took the barrel off and took it to cooper keys and he charged me £17 to cut a new key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides

Double post !

Rides
    That's a good thought Matt. I've used Coopers before when I had to try to get a new Aprilia key cut.

I'll talk to them when I get back and see if they think they can help me. Then I guess its just a matter of getting a blank (or two) from Nissan.

I'll probably replace the alarm with a TOAD anyway.

Rides
    That's a good thought Matt. I've used Coopers before when I had to try to get a new Aprilia key cut.

I'll talk to them when I get back and see if they think they can help me. Then I guess its just a matter of getting a blank (or two) from Nissan.

I'll probably replace the alarm with a TOAD anyway.
    Yep worth a try! And if Nissan have a silly delay time on blanks they’re all over eBay!

I like the fact this new one is a prefacelift and we all know it’s in good hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    As if the Nissan bods know how to cut keys..

take the boot lock out.(if some one hasn't glued the rear lights in). then take it to an old school key cutting shop. if you have any old s13 keys take that to show him what type of blade it is as Nissan use 2 different types.

it works something like,,
    each high or low point on the key blade has a corresponding number (say 10 for highest 1 for lowest) inside the lock barrel is a series of numbered detents, you would pop the lock apart and note down the combination, bash that into your key cutter and off you go.

if it wasn't a minty low miler then any knackered old s13 key would probably work.

anyway im super jealous of the fact the window switches have actual writing on them.

Rides
    Oddly, we did find a black Nissan key of the right era in a brown envelope marked "Green Estate".

I was sure it would be the right key and that the writing was just Peter's idea of security, lol. Sadly, it didn't fit any of the locks nor the ignition barrel so it probably belongs to a green Nissan Primera Estate of the same era

I'll take one of the locks out tomorrow and get it up to Coopers. Thanks Guys

Rides
    very tidy mate looks like a great example, brings back some memory's looking at a grey pre face, its in good hands that's for sure looking forward to more updates.

Rides
    I can't find any of the right shaped blanks on eBay. I'd like to stick to OEM look for the keys if possible. In the short term I can live with anything that starts the car but long term I'd like a red and a black key of the half moon variety. (Saddo)