Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best suspension upgrade for road use??

Rides

Best suspension upgrade for road use??

Hi I have recently acquired a Nissan 200sx S13 1994 Manual, The car has done 67,000 miles with FNSH, 1 owner from New (me the second owner), The car is Completely stock, Although the car drives great it does tend to wallow a little bit and I'm wondering what suspension upgrades are available for road use, Thank You.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Uprated anti roll bars would be my first port of call if the dampers and bushes are still in good condition.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Agree with chris roll bars make a big difference without affecting ride comfort too much

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Uprated anti roll bars would be my first port of call if the dampers and bushes are still in good condition.
    Thank you for your advice, I will get that checked out on Wednesday (going to the garage for some new discs and pads), I will keep you posted.

Rides
    Depends on where you want to end up with it really mate.

Stock s13's are so rare these days and if it's in good nick then retaining stock components and using the car as a Sunday toy, it could be worth a few quid in the future (we have already seen good ones go for near ten grand).

Otherwise, if the car is just alright then a bit of modification won't hurt too much. There's lots of lowering spring / KYB replacement shocks and coilover options available. Slippery slope though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Depends on where you want to end up with it really mate.

Stock s13's are so rare these days and if it's in good nick then retaining stock components and using the car as a Sunday toy, it could be worth a few quid in the future (we have already seen good ones go for near ten grand).

Otherwise, if the car is just alright then a bit of modification won't hurt too much. There's lots of lowering spring / KYB replacement shocks and coilover options available. Slippery slope though.
    The car is in Mint condition and Yes it will be just a Sunday car, But I'm still in two minds weather to keep it standard or get some coil overs for it...

Rides
    You can still get coilovers whilst retaining the value. Just keep the original shocks and springs to swap back on if you come to sell it. It's an easy diy job if you have a basic tool kit, jack and axle stands. BC Racing do a set of 5/4kg coilovers which would improve handling but not be too harsh for normal driving.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    You can still get coilovers whilst retaining the value. Just keep the original shocks and springs to swap back on if you come to sell it. It's an easy diy job if you have a basic tool kit, jack and axle stands. BC Racing do a set of 5/4kg coilovers which would improve handling but not be too harsh for normal driving.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Excellent! I might just do that and buy the BC racing coil overs then, Thanks for tip Mike

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aryton_senna_3 View Post
    Excellent! I might just do that and buy the BC racing coil overs then, Thanks for tip Mike

Not sure which BC Racing coil overs to go for on there website, Either RM series or BR series?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aryton_senna_3 View Post
    Not sure which BC Racing coil overs to go for on there website, Either RM series or BR series?

Having just double checked I think the BR series are the right ones...

Rides
    'apex performance' do/did a comfy coilover set for the s13, I drove a stock example with these fitted and it was real nice. fit some white line roll bars and it would handle even better, r32gtr rear ARB is a decent upgrade over the stock s13 one. its basically the same but a bit thicker.

Rides
    Comfy coil overs, hardrace rubber jointed suspension arms and if you need it - upgraded arbs too. Get a good alignment somewhere decent. Job done. Enjoy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Comfy coil overs, hardrace rubber jointed suspension arms and if you need it - upgraded arbs too. Get a good alignment somewhere decent. Job done. Enjoy.
    I'm thinking of getting it all poly bushed? And Yes I will get the laser alignment done at end.

Rides
    Don’t get it polybushed. Been there done that and then replaced it all.
    The only thing you need to polybush is the main subframe to chassis bushes - doing anything else just makes the ride quality shit for a road car, you end up with suspension arms binding etc not worth it.
    Great on a track only car but if you want any form of compliance on the road don’t bother.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Don’t get it polybushed. Been there done that and then replaced it all.
    The only thing you need to polybush is the main subframe to chassis bushes - doing anything else just makes the ride quality shit for a road car, you end up with suspension arms binding etc not worth it.
    Great on a track only car but if you want any form of compliance on the road don’t bother.
    Oh OK thank you for your advice CMR.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    'apex performance' do/did a comfy coilover set for the s13, I drove a stock example with these fitted and it was real nice. fit some white line roll bars and it would handle even better, r32gtr rear ARB is a decent upgrade over the stock s13 one. its basically the same but a bit thicker.
    The comfys are still available on the BC website (since that's broadly what the Apex ones were to begin with) for both 13s and 14s.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Whatever you upgrade, for example bushes, if there is an option for road and an option for race, get the road option.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Today I've ordered the Coilovers (BR Racing road use ones), But which uprated anti roll bars would you recommend? And where to buy it from? Thanks.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    On top of those a front lower suspension brace, or if you can weld make your own Nismo power brace, and steering rack bushes would be a good start.

A R32 GTR rear anti roll bar sharpens turn in nicely.

Rides
    Pineapple rings to help your standard subframe bushes would be a good option.