Thread: CA fuel smell in oil

Rides

CA fuel smell in oil

Done an oil change the other day and it smelt slightly like fuel has mixed in with it.

Any recommendations to find out what's wrong or needs sorting? Could do a compression test and see if the results are lower than last year? Rings could be letting go or is it possible fuel can get past the stem seals?

Recently upped the boost so it's running ~15psi on Hdev stage 1 chip with required spec.

Rides
    Compression check definitely..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Comp test or better do a leakdown test.

You will always have a small amount of blowby maybe the increased boost has highlighted it! Not a major worry unless your down on compression. Do you have a catch can? Is it filling uo quickly?

Rides
    Will get it tested asap then.

Don't have a catch can but I do want to get one, not sure on the best way to plumb them up though so I'll have to look into it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Will get it tested asap then.

Don't have a catch can but I do want to get one, not sure on the best way to plumb them up though so I'll have to look into it.

I run my catch can from exhaust cam to the catch can (leaving oem intake to exhaust) & then back into the intake

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post

I run my catch can from exhaust cam to the catch can (leaving oem intake to exhaust) & then back into the intake

Very good. Looks like you used the OEM hose for connection to the AFM/turbo including the 3mm brass restrictor.

Anyone else looking to do this note that this requires an airtight seal on hoses to catch can and if you run all the way in silicone you need the restrictor and/or a one way valve.

At idle this hose normally has flow inwards to the head and thence to the PCV valve.

On boost the PCV valve will be shut and whatever blow by there is will flow out to turbo inlet

Rides
    Always wondered what to do with the restrictor when you double the boost/power.

Rides
    If you are doing short journeys it will smell slightly of fuel.

Rides
    If the oil smells of fuel it could be a sticky injector is staying open and flooding the cylinder, running past the rings and into the sump. Has it been running rich or badly ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 30-10-2017 at 23:07.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If the oil angels of fuel it could be a sticky injector is staying open and flooding the cylinder, running past the rings and into the sump. Has it been running rich or badly ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Hasn't been running badly, maybe the odd misfire or burble/hiccup as such on idle when hot(Think it's always done this) but it's definitely running rich since fitting the stage 1 chip which I'm aware they are mapped slightly rich anyway?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    If you are doing short journeys it will smell slightly of fuel.
    I do end up doing a lot of short journeys to work and back as it's currently my daily but the last 3 oil changes I hadn't noticed the smell.

It has also consumed around 1 litre of oil in the last 3k miles which could indicate rings again. Although I'm sure the t25 is letting some oil through as it's low on back pressure and the intake pipe before the throttle body has had lots of oil residue in before. On the standard IC piping, oil started seeping out between the soft pipe from the throttle body to the first plastic pipe above the radiator.