Thread: Overboosting

Rides

Overboosting

I've seen plenty of these problem threads but I haven't found info for my particular case.

My boost is going up to 1.1 Bar with a wastegate set to 0,7. I changed to a wastegate which i know works and is set to 0,6, but I'm still overboosting to 1,1.

I've seen the same result with 2 boost gauges (physical ones, not electronic).

No leaks, turbo flap is moving smoothly without getting stuck, wastegate vacuum tube is fine and tight.

I have no idea what can cause this.

Rides
    Double check for boost leaks

Run a new vacuum hose from boost source (comp housing is best) directly to wastegate)

Try running with the wastegate disconnected from the flap and see if you still build boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    What boost control do you have and is it stock turbo and wastegate ?

Rides
    No leaks 99.99% sure. Although a leak would actually underboost or stay the same if small.
    I already have the stock vacuum tube from the comp housing to the wastegate. It's stock turbo and wastegate. No boost control besides that.

I did not try running with a free flap though, might be a good idea. If it still overboosts it might be an obstruction. Could it be the heat is making the flap stick to the housing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by suixo View Post
    No leaks 99.99% sure. Although a leak would actually underboost or stay the same if small.
    I already have the stock vacuum tube from the comp housing to the wastegate. It's stock turbo and wastegate. No boost control besides that.

I did not try running with a free flap though, might be a good idea. If it still overboosts it might be an obstruction. Could it be the heat is making the flap stick to the housing?
    If you have an aftermarket elbow, it could stop the flap from opening fully

Rides
    Fit a stage 1 chip and ignore it??

Rides
    Lol i wish it was that easy.

I have a stock elbow Jay, and moved the flap by hand. It moves fine.

I tried a 3rd boost gauge today. At first it opened at 0,8 Bar which is an improvement, after a while of driving it got to 0,9-1 Bar. Still an improvement since it doesn't go above 1 anymore. Maybe it's just the mechanical gauges which are....really bad...

I'll get myself an electronic one and see if it changes. I hope it's just bad reading.

It's worth noting the 3rd gauge is the same brand and model as the 2nd. Vacuum reading even makes more sense. I guess the one I bought was bad from the start or near that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by suixo View Post
    Lol i wish it was that easy.

I have a stock elbow Jay, and moved the flap by hand. It moves fine.

I tried a 3rd boost gauge today. At first it opened at 0,8 Bar which is an improvement, after a while of driving it got to 0,9-1 Bar. Still an improvement since it doesn't go above 1 anymore. Maybe it's just the mechanical gauges which are....really bad...

I'll get myself an electronic one and see if it changes. I hope it's just bad reading.

It's worth noting the 3rd gauge is the same brand and model as the 2nd. Vacuum reading even makes more sense. I guess the one I bought was bad from the start or near that.
    Something else you could try is pressurising the actuator itself and see how much the flap opens. The diaphram in it might be on its way out/leaking, which can cause a boost increase.

I had this issue before, new actuator fixed it

Rides
    I already did. This wastegate is 100% functional. I'm gonna install an electronic boost control as well as the gauge and we'll see.

Rides
    An electronic boost controller can't reduce the boost any lower than actuator pressure, so if the actuator is already boosting to 1 bar the EBC won't help.

Are you using a stock or an adjustable actuator?

Rides
    Today it worked. 0.8 Bar stable with some spikes to 1 Bar. It's definitely the old gauge reading wrong. EBC will reduce the spikes.

Rides
    What gauge are you using?

Always advisable to use a good quality, genuine gauge.

Rides
    Quality aside I think I was just sold a broken one. The one I tried is the same brand but works. Its a Dragon or something like that, from cheapBay. I got a electronic STRI from a shop here, same as my oil temp and pressure, but there's no more in stock, I'll have to wait a few weeks.