Thread: Engine refresh

Rides

Engine refresh

Evening all, just looking for some opinions on what to do while my engine is out of the car, if heard different things about opening up an sr.

First option is to leave it unopened and run it as it is, strap a turbo and supporting on and run it at 350+ until it dies then rebuild it after.

Or Is it worth opening it up, doing bearings, head gasket, head studs etc and just give it a basic refresh. Comp test is fine so don't need to do rings.

People have said that an unopened sr is the best option , but while apex have these offers on it may be worth getting some cheaper refresh parts.

If I do open it u what thickness head gasket is best to get? 1.6 or 1.9mm.

Ta,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Unless your building a low comp engine id get the 1.6mm especially if the head hasn't been skimmed previously.

I think the furthest id go at this stage is put some new big end bearings in, although youd need to pop sump off and remove a bearing cap to make sure they are std size bearings.

What boost you planning to run? If you are only aiming for 350ish for time being just stick with the 1.6mm

Rides
    On 2nd thoughts man up and wait for it to die

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If it's running fine then just run it as is, don't run massive boost though.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Problem with SRs is, to do the bottom end rebuild properly the head has to come off then the block needs decked with the oil pump on, all adds up in cost, hence why rebuilt sr20s are so much.

If you're not gonna forge it whilst in there I wouldn't bother.

Rides
    you only really have to skim the head mating surfaces if your putting a MHG on. for a stock Nissan Hg I would just clean and check the faces.