Thread: Short shifter damages gearboxes?

Rides

Short shifter damages gearboxes?

Am I correct in saying a short shifter can reduce the life of a gearbox?

Or am I completely making that up!?

Rides
    If you use it to shorten the travel of the lever and want more feeling of what's going on inside the gearbox, then no.
    If you use it to short-shift as a retard, then yes, you will kill it

Rides
    People who drift don't tend to use them because they're more likely to make the gearbox shit itself, but if you're driving normally and not always on the limiter supposedly it's alright.

I had an Apex short shifter in for a while and the box really didn't like it. I crunched going into 4th a lot even when being really slow, changed back to the stock shifter and it's fine. Maybe if you got a high quality short shifter then you'd be okay. Any issues with the gearbox get greatly highlighted with a short shifter, such as mine not wanting to go into 1st easily sometimes.

Found the thread I was thinking about: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/thr...gearbox.41423/
    Last edited by Matas; 23-10-2017 at 20:09.

Rides
    I died one on the eBay ones like the b and m one and it was too short to be enjoyable as it was crunchy I then swapped to the other type that uses the stock housing and it’s right between stock and the crazy short b and m type

Rides
    Unless you are a pro with the heel and toe, the synchromesh in the gearbox needs the same amount of time to engage each gear.
    A shortshifter reduces the distance the lever needs to move, but will not shorten the time taken to change gear.
    If you force it, you will break it The shortshifter kind of encourages you to force it.

Rides
    Mr Janus I have one you can try for not much more than a reach around. It's my old Apex one. Let me know and I'll dig it out of the man shed.

Rides
    on these cars I wouldn't bother, its not like its a massive throw like an old transit van shifting gears.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Does anyone have any actual data on the benefits of fitting one? Like reduced quarter mile or lap times.

Not saying there won't be, just curious.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don’t think there is any real performance benefit but it’s feel thing like changing steering wheels gear knobs ect

Rides
    I have an Apex short shifter and my personal experience is that it is nicer to change the gears with a shorter throw. Feels more compact and interactive.

There are no performance gains. The box has not deteriorated any more than it should have.

The change feels more rigid. Not sloppy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    I don’t think there is any real performance benefit but it’s feel thing like changing steering wheels gear knobs ect
    I think it does help change gear a bit quicker but the difference is marginal.

A gear knob or steering wheel is purely look and feel.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I loved my old B & M that I had on the s14 box, so much nicer feel than standard and never had an issue with it I'm using OEM on the z32 box, but that's mainly because all the short shifters available are utter dog shite