Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Theresa May certainly knows how to unify a party

Rides
    Sprinklers are not the be all and end all answer, they make sense sometimes and not others so its not a big deal to have a school without them.

As for TM, she needs to ditch her advisers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Sprinklers are not the be all and end all answer, they make sense sometimes and not others so its not a big deal to have a school without them.

As for TM, she needs to ditch her advisers.
    The counter argument though is having sprinklers is never a bad thing, so why not make them compulsory?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Might depend on the design of the building, you don't want them in somewhere with relatively low ceilings as the kids you intentionally set them off for a laugh.

With proper fire safety policy you can reduce the risk so much that a sprinkler system is not really needed.

Rides
    There are plenty of places you dont want sprinklers, like a comms room

Our fire safety officer always gets asked this and the answer is that not all buildings and not all fires are the same.

Rides
    It's a long time passed since sprinklers were installed with a nod to property protection - they've been a life protection item (outside of insurers insisting on installation due to large compartment size and high racked storage) for a good 15 years.

In reality what that means is they've built the property out of egg boxes and polystyrene for thermal efficiency and need sprinklers for regs sake so they can control the fire in a remote corridor so that people can make their escape.

Yeah cracking.

Rides
    There are plenty of places you dont want sprinklers, like a comms room

Our fire safety officer always gets asked this and the answer is that not all buildings and not all fires are the same.
    You say that, but more and more data centres are installing water mist fire suppression instead of Inergen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Here in Wales the new house i`m building has to have sprinklers fitted as its been law on new builds here since 2016

It has added 11k to the build cost as water pressure here is too low . I have to install a large tank and pump

Rides
    Houses with sprinklers?
    bloody hell.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    You say that, but more and more data centres are installing water mist fire suppression instead of Inergen
    That doesn't sound like the safest thing? Is it not that bad?

Rides
    Houses with sprinklers?
    bloody hell.
    Wait till they are compulsory for modified cars!!!
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    We keep seeing in various news outlets that a certain percentage of new build homes have to be affordable.
    Does anyone know what affordable means?

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    Affordable means they qualify for all of the help to buy, shared ownership and such like schemes.

It also means they're built to a price exactly calculated I guess for 2 people on or close to minimum wage to just barely afford with all of the aforementioned schemes helping them along, thus extracting the most possible money from people.

That's my take on it anyway, having looked at such things not that long ago.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    It means houses without sprinklers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    We keep seeing in various news outlets that a certain percentage of new build homes have to be affordable.
    Skuzzer houses for skuzzers that need housing because they're skuzzers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Affordable means they qualify for all of the help to buy, shared ownership and such like schemes.

It also means they're built to a price exactly calculated I guess for 2 people on or close to minimum wage to just barely afford with all of the aforementioned schemes helping them along, thus extracting the most possible money from people.

That's my take on it anyway, having looked at such things not that long ago.
    You can have help to buy up to 650k in London, 500k everywhere else so the scheme is aimed at anyone wanting a new build rather than just the "affordable" end of the spectrum.

The "affordable" housing on our estate is circa the 150k mark in Leicester which gets you a basic 2 bed. Scale accordingly for other parts of the country. Still means you need to find a minimum 15k deposit when rents are sky high everywhere. A former colleague of mine bought a camper van and lived in that for 2 years to save a deposit for a house because there was just no way of getting the deposit together (considering the rate house prices were going up too) if he was renting.

It costs me only a fraction more run a 4 bed detached that I own as it did to rent a house share with 3 others in a dilapidated shit hole in Leamington a few years ago.