Thread: What to do ? Low oil pressure , sump dented and pick up

Rides

What to do ? Low oil pressure , sump dented and pick up

Lastime I used my car I noticed the oil pressure was lower than usual . About 40 psi , then dropped to 15 psi and getting lower and oil temp reached 220f which was warmer than usual .

The next day I fired it up and the pressure was really low so i switched it straight off.

I have looked at the sump and it's alittle dented so I removed this and the pick up also looks dented to me .

I'm going to replace the pick up and install a new sump and put fresh oil and filter on.

Anything else to look at , I removed the rocker cover also to inspect .

I was going to fit these then see if the pressure rises back to what it normally is .

Finch

Rides

Rides
    Could be worth just changing the sensor as well, they are cheap so worth while doing

Rides
    How much are they buddy ?

Do you know part number ?

Rides
    I’ve actually got a spare one (brand new) at home mate, didn’t need it when I got the stack gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Dented sump killed my crank, only indication I got was the old light stayed on for a second or 2 at start up once or twice, then it rattled itself. Hopefully you're more lucky, as your pick up is very dented!

Rides
    I wouldn't bother replacing your oil pressure switch, if you have damaged that far up your engine block then you have bigger problems.

dented sump pans are pretty common. they are fairly flexible, just bash it back straight again with a hammer and a block of wood.

the pickup pipes can crack when abused so its best to check for that if your going to straighten that one, be extra careful with the big O-ring, if its flattened its self on the edges then get a new one as a leak here will kill your engine.

Rides
    Yeah I will fit a new strainer and gasket and replace oil pan or reshape if possible and see what happens.

If its still got low pressure and rattles I will know its dead :-(

Rides
    the oil pans are pretty forgiving. I would try boshing it straight again before spending out. be sure to guy a VVT oil strainer and not a red top one.