Thread: Floor pan.

Rides

Floor pan.

So after stripping out the interior I have noticed the floor looks rusty under the sound deadening. I also have a nice fist sized hole at the drivers footwell

I have seen replacement sills but I guess i will have to make the floor pan parts myself, a good way to test the mig welder out I bought. 2-3mm sheet steel be ok for this job?

The windscreen will be coming out also as it has cracked due to rust and moisture on the A pillars.

I plan to use hardened foam or polystyrene in the rear panels between the back seats and outer skin to add a bit of safety for when I have kids and dampen side impact blows.

I may also weld in some isofix brackets to the rear seats after some more research.

cheers for any advice.

Rides
    2mm way too thick, pretty sure the floor is 0.8mm panel steel.

Rides
    1mm sheet steel is what you want for the Floor.

2mm is heavy and only really needed at structural mounting points.

Rides
    Thanks guys, 1mm it will be then, just when I think about seat mountings I expect some thick metal to stop them flexing.

Rides
    yeah you need thin metal or youll never shape it!
    what do you mean about using polystyrene to strengthen the body? or as sound deadening?

Rides
    There is a cavity in the rear quarter panel that I intend to fill with something non flammable as a impact absorber, as I would like as much protection for children as possible.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay200sxx View Post
    yeah you need thin metal or youll never shape it!
    what do you mean about using polystyrene to strengthen the body? or as sound deadening?
    You can use expanding foam to fill spaces and make the shell more rigid. I've heard of rally cars having the pillars filled with expanding foam to make them stronger. Not sure it would work in the rear pockets since the access holes are huge. Also foam holds moisture so if it gets wet it'll just rot out your inner arches.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post
    There is a cavity in the rear quarter panel that I intend to fill with something non flammable as a impact absorber, as I would like as much protection for children as possible.
    I reckon you'd be much better off welding in a side impact bar, but unless done properly that could be even more dangerous than doing nothing at all. Would need to be made from cold-drawn steel I would think.

Rides
    Tbh I didn't think a bit of cavity foam is going to reinforce the structure of the shell or make the slightest difference in an accident! Wasn't sure if you were doing it as a sound deadener or for strength. As mentioned the only way to beef it up would be to install a roll cage which is a big job! Alternatively keep the Nissan for the track and take the kids out in a reliable German car of your choice haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay200sxx View Post
    Tbh I didn't think a bit of cavity foam is going to reinforce the structure of the shell or make the slightest difference in an accident! Wasn't sure if you were doing it as a sound deadener or for strength. As mentioned the only way to beef it up would be to install a roll cage which is a big job! Alternatively keep the Nissan for the track and take the kids out in a reliable German car of your choice haha

Agreed there is so much testing goes into structural strength and crash damage there is a high chance of making it worse

Anything new will be ten times better in an accident than a 20 year old tin foil Nissan

Rides
    This is the track toy.

You would be surprised what foam/polystyrene can do to soften a blow. The 350z original bumper had a large polystyrene crush strip before the alu crash bar.