Thread: Top end tapping....

Rides

Top end tapping....

So I have changed my lifters for genuine Nissan lifters, I have fitted Tomei rocker arm stoppers & I have done everything 100% correctly....so I think...

I am now still experiencing top end tapping when I let the car idle, soon as you Rev it they get quieter.

I'm not 100% that my shims are correct as I made my own tool and I'm getting different readings ever so slightly.

Can anyone at all help??

Would the shims make the top end tap like this or is there something wrong with the tappets getting oil??

Been told it's because the oil is thin.... it's Millers competition 10W40 mineral running in oil?

https://youtu.be/KbuCN_rOw24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    if you did them with the dial gauge I will go with they must be pretty close to spot on
    are you still using the VVT sprocket? I see the nice top mount set up and can't remember your engine spec
    if still on the vvt sprocket earth the yellow solenoid wire, 't' into it and earth on the plenum bolts/under the OE engine earth
    if it makes any difference to the sound the sprocket is dying and poss oil feed through the head to the sprocket is blocked or nearly blocked
    starving it of oil,the oil feed drilling is tiny and a bit of engine crud from some over due oil changes can cause it
    if the spray bars have some engine crud inside them even more suspect on the oil feed being the same

or we are back to the thin oil/low pressure on hot idle if still in there

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    if you did them with the dial gauge I will go with they must be pretty close to spot on
    are you still using the VVT sprocket? I see the nice top mount set up and can't remember your engine spec
    if still on the vvt sprocket earth the yellow solenoid wire, 't' into it and earth on the plenum bolts/under the OE engine earth
    if it makes any difference to the sound the sprocket is dying and poss oil feed through the head to the sprocket is blocked or nearly blocked
    starving it of oil,the oil feed drilling is tiny and a bit of engine crud from some over due oil changes can cause it
    if the spray bars have some engine crud inside them even more suspect on the oil feed being the same

or we are back to the thin oil/low pressure on hot idle if still in there
    Great stuff thanks for your help mate, il give that a go! I am still on the VVT so il try to eliminate that being the issue.

Checked the spray bars when cranking and they seem to be okay.

It only seems to be on first start up (building pressure) and when it's warm, once a couple of revs have been done it seems okay until you leave it to idle.

Cheers for the help mate

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    With that tool did you slide it between the two valves or lift it out each time? Oil in the lifter holes could change the reading. Did you measure the thickness of the shims and guide shims and check again once installed?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    With that tool did you slide it between the two valves or lift it out each time? Oil in the lifter holes could change the reading. Did you measure the thickness of the shims and guide shims and check again once installed?
    I lifted it up because there's no way it can slide, I measured each shim & guide (guides were all the same size and then measured which shim I would need. Used a micrometer to check the shims thickness so should have all been spot on... here's my readings of the shims i needed

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You're more organised than I was, I was working to a 0.02 difference between the two from memory and mine isn't noisy now.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Yeah I think the tolerance your allowed was 0.02 maximum I believe?

Thing is thinking about it if it was the shims that's were the issues it would be a continuous tapping, and it's not, it's only when it starts getting warm on idle etc...

I was pretty confident that I did everything correct first time round and Iv double checked it all when I stripped it last.

Il give the VVT thing ago, and if not il stick the thicker oil in it, just hope it doesn't mess about with the running in stage

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Are the spray bars etc new or cleaned? Is oil getting to the head?

My engine is going back together soon and fear something like this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Are the spray bars etc new or cleaned? Is oil getting to the head?

My engine is going back together soon and fear something like this
    Used spray bars by I cleaned them out with brake cleaner/ airline, cranked it with the rocker off and Deffo oil squirting out, not like a high pressure squirt but there is enough over the cam lobes etc

Rides
    if the earth the yellow wire works,it can be re done using a micro switch on the throttle so it earths the wire on closed throttle only
    just earthing it gives the sprocket full oil pressure all the time and can loose some top end revs peak power
    ,nissan designed it so it gets a trickle at best on idle and after 5k revs it switches off,it only gets full pressure over 2k revs > 5k
    its a common mod as new sprockets are stupid expensive
    the way the noise is described is like early days sprocket rattle
    can also on cold start up stick it in 1st and let clutch up can sometimes stop the rattle if its not too bad
    I had one go to full time constant rattle in 500 miles
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 04-09-2017 at 03:13. Reason: I remembered more stuff

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    if the earth the yellow wire works,it can be re done using a micro switch on the throttle so it earths the wire on closed throttle only
    just earthing it gives the sprocket full oil pressure all the time and can loose some top end revs peak power
    ,nissan designed it so it gets a trickle at best on idle and after 5k revs it switches off,it only gets full pressure over 2k revs > 5k
    its a common mod as new sprockets are stupid expensive
    the way the noise is described is like early days sprocket rattle
    can also on cold start up stick it in 1st and let clutch up can sometimes stop the rattle if its not too bad
    I had one go to full time constant rattle in 500 miles
    Pretty sure it's the VVT pulley after all...

Disconnected and run it Ali got a loud tapping/knocking noise, while it's running plug the solenoid in and the noise stops for a minute and gradually comes back..... so... I'm going to run with it with thicker oil and see if it goes quiet, if not a new pulley... but it's not the end of the world :-)