Thread: Wider stance - what are my options?

Rides

Wider stance - what are my options?

The restoration of my S14 is going very slowly, but the plan is to eventually get the V2 Rocket Bunny Boss kit on it - and that requires quite a wide stance.

For my rear intend to add the 15mm hub spacers from gktech (along will their full rear knuckle/arm setup), but should I run spacers with zero/negative offset wheels, or am I better off going with wheels with a massive offset?

As for the front, I've no idea about the suspension arms/geometry etc. so I'm a bit in the dark about how to wider the front (I've been obsessed with the rear since stripping it all out).

As for wheels I'm after something like my old Minilites, 17" black and wide as f.

Any help greatly appreciated as I've been out of the 200sx game for almost a decade (as my S14 sat and rotted).
    Cheers
    G

Rides
    You'll need to find out how much extra room the kit gives you from standard and then add width and offset accordingly, avoid spacers if you can. this link will help with the offset calculations http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator.

Not sure if you'd want to go more than 10's up front...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Rota rbx with conversion spacers for the wheels?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Thanks guys - probably a staggered setup is the way forward and play with the offsets. Those Rota RBX are perfect! Damn the x4 bolt pattern though grrr

Rides
    Take a look at the RKR

http://images.rotawheelsuk.com/rarer...5steelgrey.jpg

17x9.5 ET-10 5x114

But to help with your question - spacers or low offset wheels have the same net effect. The advantage of the spacers would is that you can buy wheels which might be easier to re-sell should you change your mind or decide to sell up.

The advantage of no spacers and mad wheels is that they're really cool, and you'll get many scene points... but on a more serious note you can also get your exact fitment and have less potential points of failure or problems, with just 1 set of studs and nuts holding things on.

20mm bolt on spacers usually are considered about the smallest that are sensible, any thinner and there's not much meat to hold the studs in. If you're going longer studs and slip on spacers then you can disregard that

East Central Scotland Rep tinnysteve's Avatar
    Rides
    Love the look of these wheels, want something like this for the mk1 esky but can't find anything 16" 5x114.3 and a high offset

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    There just aren't wheels with dish and any brake clearance in this style - you'd have real trouble with this style and getting them fitted if they were high offset I would expect

Rides

Rides
    Yes, it's the gktech complete rear I'm getting (can't afford the front yet) as the whole rear end is apart right now. I'm guessing the rear track can be widened by pushing the knuckles outwards, hence the 15mm axle spacers I intend sticking on. I'm kinda looking for that bit extra and then a simple way to do the front.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Take a look at the RKR

http://images.rotawheelsuk.com/rarer...5steelgrey.jpg

17x9.5 ET-10 5x114

But to help with your question - spacers or low offset wheels have the same net effect. The advantage of the spacers would is that you can buy wheels which might be easier to re-sell should you change your mind or decide to sell up.

The advantage of no spacers and mad wheels is that they're really cool, and you'll get many scene points... but on a more serious note you can also get your exact fitment and have less potential points of failure or problems, with just 1 set of studs and nuts holding things on.

20mm bolt on spacers usually are considered about the smallest that are sensible, any thinner and there's not much meat to hold the studs in. If you're going longer studs and slip on spacers then you can disregard that
    YES! I've found my wheels

Rides
    You're gonna need some decent width wheels to fill RB arches properly, 9.5's aren't gonna cut it. Also, if you've gone to all the trouble of fitting the kit, why not buy some proper splits in good sizes instead of reps? You'll be thankful you did once it's done

East Central Scotland Rep tinnysteve's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    There just aren't wheels with dish and any brake clearance in this style - you'd have real trouble with this style and getting them fitted if they were high offset I would expect
    Not really looking for dish just something like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    The way I got extra width on rear of my 14 was take the longer driveshaft and switch it to the short side. 40mm wider straight away. I then had all the arms extended 40mm and a new motorsport driveshaft made for the other side.
    Gave me 40mm both sides then you don't have to go mad with wheel specs and don't need spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk