Thread: Tapping noise continues...

Rides

Tapping noise continues...

So I changed my running in oil with a thicker Millard 10w40 and the tapping noise stopped...

After running for around 2-3 minutes at around 2500rpm the tapping gradually came back and started getting louder... so I took the rocker back off and everything looks okay.. there's some scoring on the cams and a couple of the new rocker arms but surely if the shins were out it would constantly tap its tits off all the time?

I haven't taken the lifters out and primed them again as I was told the noise would go after a few minutes of constant revs.

Now Iv just timed the engine ready for me to pull the cams out, is there any way of me making sure the shims are 100% correct?

And any other suggestions as to what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Shims need to be measured with a dti ideally and be no more than .2mm out iirc. Still could be lifters and would be the ones showing wear on the cams mostly likely.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Shims need to be measured with a dti ideally and be no more than .2mm out iirc. Still could be lifters and would be the ones showing wear on the cams mostly likely.

Going to get myself some genuine lifters and then bleed them, hopefully they will stop.

I made my own tool using an old lifter & some rod, used a digital gauge and then made a note of the sizes.. il double check everything again and see what happens

Rides
    sounds like the lifters didn't like the thin oil and they are now bleeding down too quick,new lifters will fix it
    I go with cheap option first,this time the damage was done, the fresh oil should be ok
    unless you see traces of metal when swapping the lifters over
    possible the lifters were bleeding off cam lift on the dyno so power reading's could be way off it's potential
    gauge set up looks good as well,should be able to get them spot on

Rides
    Well Iv actually put the cheap ones in it the first time which I'm regretting now, Nissan ones were not available at the time I wanted them, there's people on eBay selling the genuine ones for £70 now for a set or I can get them from DESA on here..

Was looking last night and some people modify the rocker arms to allow to run two guides, has anyone got any reason as to why you shouldn't?

Going to check all my guides again but I was pretty confident they were all perfect the last time.

Rides
    dual guide setup just seems to be an American thing.

can you not strip and clean the lifters out?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    dual guide setup just seems to be an American thing.

can you not strip and clean the lifters out?
    Possibly but the sake of £70 I may aswell just get genuine?

Once the old lifters are cleaned and primed they may be damaged already so not Worthing doing it all again

Rides
    didn't realise they were only £70 a set. baragin, I would fire a new set in so you can rule out lifters.

having a rebuilt engine is horrible its like you are just waiting for bad things to happen.

Rides
    didn't realise they were only £70 a set. baragin, I would fire a new set in so you can rule out lifters.

having a rebuilt engine is horrible its like you are just waiting for bad things to happen.

Yeah mate tell me about it, the mapper had it going for 2.5hrs on the dyno base mapping it and it was faultless.... it's only since turning it off and then starting again it's tapping, the oil was so thin so I'm sure the lifters are shagged or just need bleeding... but for the sake of it il just get a new set and know it's done right

Rides
    i just remembered something,

years ago I bought a Nissan with a ticking engine. I was dead sure it was a knackered lifter so swapped in a good known used set. started it up and the ticking returned. turns out it was the exhaust manifold gasket had blown and the remains were resonating causing the ticking sound.

Rides
    i just remembered something,

years ago I bought a Nissan with a ticking engine. I was dead sure it was a knackered lifter so swapped in a good known used set. started it up and the ticking returned. turns out it was the exhaust manifold gasket had blown and the remains were resonating causing the ticking sound.
    Il double check that mate thank you, I know I had all the surfaces decked along with my manifold so il be surprised if it is that but I will double check.

What did you use to check your shims?