Thread: Fuel line replacement

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides

Fuel line replacement

So my fuel lines are now compariable to a watering can and gush harder than a Norfolk girl looking at her brother.

Can anyone recommend any good kits and tips on how to get them replaced?

They're leaking right on the side of the tank where the rubber hose meets the metal but it's the metal which has corroded.

Thanks in advance.

Rides
    A quick fix is cut the metal back and put a longer piece of rubber in.

Or make new copper lines

Or by AN-6 braided line and replace with that.

Rides
    Could I run this the full length of the car or would it cause issue with the mot if it's not metal braided?

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.c...bing-282-p.asp

Rides
    I bought a load of this stuff when I picked up my carb bits for the V8 from the US:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2512

I've got a braided line to go from the tank to the hard line and then this will go to an inline fuel filter in the engine bay. Because it's aluminium though I'm going to put a panel together to keep it away from stones etc. underneath. It shouldn't cause an issue but just to be on the safe side...

That's a large diameter tube, but you can get it in the same tube size as the fuel lines on a 200 and just replace the hard lines. No more corrosion to worry about it in the future that way at least.

Rides
    I replaced all mine for fuel spec rubber line, off the bay of e! Easy to fit don't need to worry about bending/ flaring copper line, and no risk of corrolson too

Iirc 8 meters was enough (I don't have carbon canister, and fuel tank vent now goes out my rear bumper

Rides
    8mm braided fuel line from Torques-UK on eBay. Decent price, and they supply good stuff, so you know it's not gonna fall apart in a year. Then just P-Clip it to the chassis rail etc. You'll need to drop the tank to run them properly though.

Rides
    Thanks all. I was hoping to buy some rubber braided line and just do one stretch from the tank all the way through with it cable tied to the current lines or P-clipped to the chassis as mentioned and then just jubilee clipped to each end so it doesn't leak.

I was going to try tying the new lines to the old rubber line and pulling it through the tank to save dropping it, or won't that work? If I do need to drop the tank is that a subframe off job, or can I lower it enough without removing it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Thanks all. I was hoping to buy some rubber braided line and just do one stretch from the tank all the way through with it cable tied to the current lines or P-clipped to the chassis as mentioned and then just jubilee clipped to each end so it doesn't leak.

I was going to try tying the new lines to the old rubber line and pulling it through the tank to save dropping it, or won't that work? If I do need to drop the tank is that a subframe off job, or can I lower it enough without removing it?
    I did mine without dropping the tank, like you said I just attached the old pipes and pulled through. P clips are best, and will be preffered come MOT time

Rides
    Nice one. What about attaching it each end to the tank and intake, did jubilee clips work okay? I know they say not to use them but I assume that's for nylon braided lines?

Rides
    I used AN6 line from TorquesUK and rubber lined stainless P clips. I found 6m was JUST enough, but i had a few off cuts to got from the filter to the rail etc, so 8m would be better.

Regarding clipping them to the fuel rail/ filter I used fuel line clamps, they are similar to jubilee clamps but they apply a more even pressure all around the hose so they seal better.

One thing to watch with braided line is what it rubs on, due to the fact its steel it'll abrade through wires/plastic fuel tanks over the years with vibration from the car.

Rides

My fuel and brake lines being changed this week, using proline motorsport in Surrey for the work, going AN braided and new copper I think will find out this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    What do you guys use when using E85 fuel? Will the an6 braided line be ok?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline boy View Post
    What do you guys use when using E85 fuel? Will the an6 braided line be ok?
    Just check for ethanol compatibility, some rubber lined hoses will disintegrate over time and clog injectors/filters/pumps etc if not suitable.

Rides
    Finally getting around to ordering the parts to get this done. With regards clipping the pipe to the car, did peopl go in through the floor or chassis rail?

Just wondering which screws/whatever are the best to use?

Rides
    Use 8mm copper under the car with the standard clips and just replace each end with rubber?

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...line-per-metre

Rides
    I used fuel line clamps (with rubber hoses throughout), and screwed into the chassis rails (I didn't want to risk a screw going through the floor/ carpet!). I undersealed around the hole before fitting
    Last edited by Slip_n_slide; 28-09-2017 at 11:52.

Rides
    I don’t have any tools to bend the pipe and would worry about crimping it if I tried. Was just going to use braided “fuel resistant” lines for my own ease

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    I used fuel line clamps (with rubber hoses throughout), and screwed into the chassis rails (I didn't want to risk a screw going through the floor/ carpet!). I undersealed around the hole before fitting
    Were there any Particular kind of screws you used? Wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of the work if you have one?