Thread: Is this CA in ok condition ?

Rides

Is this CA in ok condition ?

Bought this engine in "unknown" condition and tore the valve covers & sump off. Looks very good to me, but I could be wrong.

Also, the cams have red & blue markings on them. One blue and one red, I first thought they would be aftermarket, but could just be stock? Again, I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Don't really know much about engines, but plan to rebuild this and chuck it in my car once that one pops. Pics below

Crank & bearings all look the same as on the pics posted, forgot to take more pics but their the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Seems like it was a waste of time stripping it! Guessing you have no comp test results for it.

There any other markings on cams? Sometimes they have it on the rear end. Should say like 256

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Seems like it was a waste of time stripping it! Guessing you have no comp test results for it.

There any other markings on cams? Sometimes they have it on the rear end. Should say like 256
    I will comp test it this weekend if I get the chance. Just praying it comes out OK.

I didn't see any markings glancing at it, but I will keep updating the thread with pics when I can

Rides
    The cleanliness off the head and the fact that it has grub screws in the crank would suggest it has been rebuilt already. Id stick it back together and run it lol

Whip the head off and inspect the bores make sure their not glazed and at most as a precautionary fit new rings if the bores are good.

Rides
    The cleanliness off the head and the fact that it has grub screws in the crank would suggest it has been rebuilt already. Id stick it back together and run it lol

Whip the head off and inspect the bores make sure their not glazed and at most as a precautionary fit new rings if the bores are good.
    I've never actually taken a head off a car, so I might try this just to experiment. I plan on changing the HG anyway. Also got no clue on how to change rings in an engine, so that'll be a fun learning curve if I need to do it

Also, what are "grub screws"?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    I've never actually taken a head off a car, so I might try this just to experiment. I plan on changing the HG anyway. Also got no clue on how to change rings in an engine, so that'll be a fun learning curve if I need to do it

Also, what are "grub screws"?

In this pic on the edge of the crank the screw type looking head / plug.

Oem crank has a ball bearing pressed in to it instead which some people drill out to clean the oil passages in the crank.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    In this pic of my crank you can see the ball bearing

Rides
    In this pic of my crank you can see the ball bearing

I'm pretty mind blown. Is it meant to be a mod, and if so is it beneficial in any way? I'm guessing I don't have the ballbearings like you anymore then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    I'm pretty mind blown. Is it meant to be a mod, and if so is it beneficial in any way? I'm guessing I don't have the ballbearings like you anymore then

Basically the main bearings feed oil to the big end bearings but for this to happen nissan needed to cross dril an oil channel between main and big end.

The ball bearing then gets pressed in to plug the drill hole.

Some people/machine shops remove the ball bearing to fully clean out the oilways in the crank, then to plug the holes back up tap the hole and fit a grub screw.

Rides
    Looks like a very fresh build. But its strange how the inside of the cam box is so clean but the outside of the head isn't. I'd have expected the whole head to have been cleaned sparky clean like the inside.

Rides
    Pic update below of camshafts up close & with the red & blue markings

Has anyone got any info on what these cams are?

Rides
    I think someone just painted blue for cold side and red for hot side on them.

Measure the cam lobe heights, IN 7.8mm, EX 8.5mm